News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What oil do you use in your SRT8

Started by oldcarnut, December 14, 2013, 08:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

I saw in the manual it calls for 5w-40 full syn.  Went by the 3 local auto places  and nobody has that weight except in Rotella syn diesel oil. Everyone else is 0w-40. I'm due for an  oil change and was a little sticker shocked  :o at $140 for it at the dealership so I thought I'd do it myself.  What are you guys running in your 6.1's that have them and where do you get that weight?  

ws23rt

My 09 says 0-40 on the oil fill cap but when I went in for my last oil change (at a dealer) they put in 5w-40.  I asked about it and they came up with a print out of what is recommended.  5w-40  :shruggy:

I'm sure the difference between 0w-40 and 5w-40 is nill but they had no answer as to why the change was made.

Cooter

of the cars I see come in to the shop these days with a pile of miles on them and have a "rec." of like "0/40" or 5W30 Oil won't have any oil in them between oil changes if not checked. had ONE 5.7 Hemi with no oil in it. I told owner as these engines get older, they need a thicker oil in order for it to stay in the engine for 3K miles.

It's my opinion, that the lighter weight oils are being used for fuel mileage as well as emissions.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

oldcarnut

For the 2010, Advance had listed 0w-40.  Oreilly's had 5w-40.  I hadn't checked the oil cap.  The dealership I bought the Chally used from was supposed to have already changed before delivery but less than 2K miles I've put on it, the message light is on for changing.  Mileage is at about 13K on the odometer.

Cooter

I'd stick with factory rec's until about 80K miles. Then, If it were mine, I'd switch it over to a heavier oil like 10W30.

Once the cats went, I'd be putting Zinc in the crankcase too.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

c00nhunterjoe

If you run a 5.7 and don't use 5w20, the mds won't work right and you will have all kinds of problems. Mi e has 140, 000 on it and I switched to 5w30 and the mds went crazy. Switched back and it resumed normal ops. The tolerances are tight on the new motors. The factory says to use those weights for a reason.

John_Kunkel

I have used 0-40, 5-40 and 10-40 Mobile 1 in my 2009 (no MDS) depending on availability and price.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Indygenerallee

Oil passages are so small anymore and with all the variable timing the manufacturers are running if you run thicker oil than is specified you WILL F' IT UP!!! I had a guy call me last week and wanted me to look at his 04 F-150 5.4 75,000 miles. he drives it in knocking, I pull the pan and all sorts of sludge and coking is in the pickup tube cleaned it out also pulled out both cam phaser solenoids and cleaned the screens, run some engine flush through it and changed the oil to the 5w-20 and the motor quit knocking and the idle smoothed out... he had been taking it to a "quick" lube place and I guarantee they were using bulk 10-30 oil.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Paul G

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#