News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is it worth: My '68 Charger

Started by Shankster, December 10, 2013, 06:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shankster

Hello everyone,

Here is my '68 Charger.  I bought it back around 1988 and it was my main ride until 1994 when I bought a Dakota, parked the Charger at my mother's house, and there it has sat for almost 20 years. :(  I always intended on getting it running again but I never got around to it and now my mother is moving and I either have to find a storage spot or sell it.

It's all original except for the wheels, the air shocks I put in the back to accommodate the 265's, and the exhaust pipes that I had repaired when the original one cracked at the bend over the rear axle and I had the shop run duals out the back.  It has the original 383 2bl, it's white with red interior, came with power windows, AC, and had the black vinyl top but it was cracking and peeling over time so I pulled it off.

Right now, I can't get the hood open.  The first release springs back but the latch doesn't seem to be disengaging so I'm looking into fixing that so I can get pictures of the engine.  If anyone knows a trick to that, let me know.

Shankster

More pictures:

Shankster

and a couple more:

chargerboy69

Let me say. . very cool car, love the color combination, it is fantastic.

As far as value. . . don't know. Glad I could help. ;)
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

cdr

4 to 7 depending on floors & frame rails.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

squeakfinder

When you get the hood open for pic's, would you get some of the bare trunk floor?  :popcrn:
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: cdr on December 10, 2013, 06:49:18 PM

I was going to say ~$5k.  That rear window rust is a big deal.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: cdr on December 10, 2013, 06:49:18 PM

I'd go as high as $65.00 even with bad frame rails.

F8-4life

If you have any remaining interest or sentimental value please consider keeping it.
You likely won't have another and that is one great charger you have currently.
Worth from 5-7k depending on how much rust.

bull

Minimum value for a complete 68 in this condition should be around $4k - $5k. But that's if the aforementioned frame rails are in decent shape. The cancer I see would make me nervous about the stuff I can't see.

Too bad your mom has to move to get you going on this. :nana: Seriously though, is there no way you can store it and work on it?

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I paid $1,400 for a better 1968, w/ less rust. But those were 1990 dollars  :Twocents:

In 2013 dollars, I'd say 4-5k, tops

Homerr

The Good:
original, unmolested condition
nice color combo
big-block car
console
power windows
looks to be a complete red interior

The Bad:
non-R/T
will the motor turn?

The Ugly:
rear window rot means the trunk, lower quarters, maybe frame rails and rear valence too...are all shot (so a typical Charger)

I'll say if the motor turns, i.e. turns by hand and is not seized, then it's $6k as it sits.  

I'll also guess it's going to take $20-25k of mostly 'do-it-yourself' type work; or $30-40k of 'you disassemble, send out all bodywork/paint to a shop, and you reassemble'; or $60-100k of just dropping it off at a shop and telling them you want it to look like it just rolled off the assembly line.

If you are selling - please sell it to someone looking for a project that will do the work instead of a flipper or someone that is going to spray it orange.  :flame:  This is a nice candidate for a full restoration, there is someone out there that will love it and take care of it if you don't have the time/inclination/funds.    

hatersaurusrex

I'll open the robes a bit and tell you - I bought a car in about the same shape as yours overall and I gave 8+K for it after a LOT of searching.  Mine was a complete 383 car with that ran and drove (though not well), and the condition was better in some places and worse than others than yours.

I know I overpaid, but the car I bought was 30 minutes from the person doing the resto (my brother) and at the time I lived 10 hours away so I saved myself a ton of money finding a car elsewhere and dragging it back all the way to TN.  It was a 60 dollar tow instead of a round trip drive/airfare and trailering it or shipping somewhere so I was happy with my choice in the end, and I got to actually start the project instead of spending another 5 years looking.

I'd agree with the consensus here - that to a local buyer - a complete unmolested XP big block car is worth probably 2-3K less than what I paid.   I had a pretty unique situation, as most people don't    Either way if I were selling it, I'd ask somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3K more than what you want out of it and make someone feel like they got a deal.  Over 10K for that car will keep most people away thinking you're unrealistic, and under 5K you'll have some assburglar trying to talk you into 2500 CASH IN YOUR FACE RIGHT NOW LOOK I GOT ME SOME CASH MONEY for it.

[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

1974dodgecharger

God I love it man.....I wish to buy it If I had spare 5k around.

70 sublime

Where is the car located now ??
Has it ever been painted ?

To open the hood did you try to push down on it in the center at the front when you pulled the release ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

wingcar

Asking the question: "What's it worth", is like asking "Should I get married"... There are many view points and opinions, but only you can decide what its worth to you.  The big question is what do YOU want to do?  Would you like to just see the car go away and have cash in your pocket, or would you like to tackle doing a restoration and keeping it.  Just remember that a restoration WILL ALWAYS end up costing you more than you planned.  But, having said that...compared to some of the outright rusted junk that has been posted on this site....yours "looks" to be in very good condition...hopefully the bottom of the car is ok.  Do your homework and look at what other advertized Chargers in the same condition are selling for...they are not cheap as everyone seems to want a second generation Charger. 
Bottomline, any car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it...................
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Dave27

Just curious if the car was similar condition, rust free, R/T, 440,not running,but rebuilt engine, what would it be worth ;)

Dino

I guess the $5K mark is not too far off.  Personally I don't like the bright interiors so I would not pay extra for it.  It'll need a lot of work though, a whole lot.

So what's the deal with the hood?  The release pull may be gone or just dropped out of the hole in the mechanism.  With a flash light you should be able to see the hole through the hood opening or grille where the release goes.  Get a wire hanger and bend it to fit in there, give it a pull and it should pop open.  With some gymnastics you can also get there from the bottom.  Wear goggles and keep your mouth closed...
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Troy

Having sold several projects...

I'd say most of these estimates are high. I sold a non running 383 4bbl car with lots of rust in the rear - but not in the rails - for $900. Another of my cars was a lot nicer and barely got over $2k. Now, yours looks fairly complete. If the original interior can be salvaged (hard to match the red) then it could considerably increase the value. An unbroken grill is a HUGE bonus. If the rails are solid AND it runs you'll be in much better shape. It will take some work on your part to make it at least a roller - preferably a runner. The color combo is cool but it's not really going to help or hurt the value. It may help for the right person - but then you've got to find just that right person AND they have to be in the market AND they have to have money.

I like it! However, I wouldn't pay $5k. It looks reasonably solid in the pictures so if you can prove the rear half isn't completely rusted out I'd bump my estimate up. I have other Chargers though. You'd probably have better luck with someone who is looking but hasn't been able to buy yet.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Tilar

Just something about a white car that I like, and that one has a couple nice options. If you were close by and I had the money I might consider doing something with it.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

tan top

looks good  :yesnod:  , is that the original selling dealer licence plate frame ?  :scope:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Shankster

Thanks for the input, everyone!  I just got a call from a place that will let me store it there so that's sweet relief to me.

The car is located in Los Angeles County close to Ventura County line.  I'll get pictures of the bare trunk once I relocate it and I'll try the suggestions for the hood latch.  It has the original paint and, yes, I believe that is the original selling dealer license plate.  It says "Los Angeles" and "Wil-Mar Dodge" on it.  The guy I bought it from claimed he bought it from the original owner and I don't think he kept it long before selling it to me.

Funny story about how I got it: My '73 Dodge Tradesman 200 van had recently given up the ghost so I needed a new vehicle.  My friend had a forest green '68 Charger that I really dug and one day we're cruising down the 101 and this guy in a white '68 Charger pulls up along side of us and says "You guys know anyone who'd want to buy this Charger?" and I said "Yeah, me!".  So we pulled over and exchanged information and I eventually bought the car.  The '68 Charger has always been my favorite muscle car and I don't think any other make/model from that era looks nearly as badass and cool.

70 sublime

Great to hear you found a place to keep it
Sounds like a car with some memories that you could never get back if you sold it
Keep it till you can get it back on the road
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

paironines

I think it would be sold the first day at 5k. So probably worth 7k if rails are good.

1974dodgecharger