News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New to Chargers, have a train of thought that needs de-railing!

Started by Yes to Dodge, December 09, 2013, 06:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

Like others have said....search around, be patient, and spring into action when the time is right.

And drive it!    Cars besides green 318s need love too!

Hopefully my car (shamelessly plugged below) will be just as worn out as me at the "end of the road"......at least that's the plan.   :icon_smile_big:

Dino

You can shamelessly plug away whenever you feel like it.  I don't get tired looking at that car!   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Yes to Dodge

Wow a great reception, thanks, all good comments too.

I do have a favorite year that being a 68, I prefer the small round tail lights and one mouth grill. Is there a source of info on model year changes, example the pistol grip shifters, seats, instrument design ...?
Every body have there favorite things about cars for as many reasons as there are differents cars like shapes colors size what dad liked etc. Dad had Plymouths but they where all slant sixes and I swore I would never have a car with anything oither than V8. I guess I still feel the same about I6's mainly because of the exhaust sound, they really sound like a swather engine when the original muffler is wrapped in tin. (times where tough)

One thing I just got stung on is the proper insurance for a nice old car, I took a chance and just had basic plates on a nice 67 American HT. Because it was a Rambler I only had $5000 into it now its flagged for inspections before it hits the road again. A similar Dodge Dart would be about 3 times the $$ and would have proper insurance.
My wifes wants me to get rid of my AMX and whole AMC thing, the reputation from back in the day is alive and well.

Ghoste

Nothing wrong with an AMX.  As for model year changes, we discuss that kind of thing here frequently so just hang around and you'll soon have it.

JB400

Nothing wrong with them at all.  Here's an  :2thumbs: just for keeping a couple AMC's on the road.  I know you guys have it tough when it comes to restoring one of them. 

Lord Warlock

Nothing wrong with an AMX, but you gotta be desperate to drive a rambler.  I remember my dad bought one with a friend, it was a 66 convertible rambler and they paid 50.00 for it total.  And the car was totally straight, no rust and it drove fine. Just noone wanted them.  Always liked the 2 seater AMX with the 390.

There is always a jump in price point available for those that want a driver, you can find them between 10-15k without too much trouble, the RT's tend to go for a bit more, but the standard cars can easily be brought up to rt standards for a few extra bucks.  The days of getting them for 2k to 5k are pretty much long gone now. Unless its a basket case.  And despite the amazing abilities of some of the folks here, not everyone can build one up from scratch so its better to buy one already done up even if it costs a little more.  I still classify mine as a survivor, but it hardly meets that standard anymore as most of the old parts and trim have been replaced, but I've still got less than 10k into it.

Is fit and finish really that bad with our cars? All my doors, trunk lid and hood line up right with even gaps around each, overall I think the fit and finish is pretty good, I've seen much worse on newer cars.  Course I've also had the hood off from time to time and had to realign it myself when putting it back on.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

500Jon

Welcome to the world of Charger! :cheers:
Set a budget and buy the best one you can find.
Bodywork is essential, as rustfree as possible.
If its been restored,  ask to see resto pics of metalwork.
A good restorer will always show their good repairs.
Running/driving is always a bonus, non runners can be a nightmare!
Fit and finish is a personal thing, I'd be happy in a 'Joe Dirt' car, but most wouldn't be.
I've seen $50k resto's that would fail road safety checks here in England through severe rust issues.
Engines/trans/axles/seats etc can be fixed and changed at leisure.

Happy motoring from the Limey
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!