News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New to Chargers, have a train of thought that needs de-railing!

Started by Yes to Dodge, December 09, 2013, 06:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yes to Dodge

Hello
The 68-70 Dodge charger was my favorite car from way back(pre Dukes era), couldn't afford a 10 year old Charger though. I had the money for a car made by the 4th biggest manufacturer and aquired the"mentality" to boot.

Now I'm thinking about a Charger, still can't(or won't) buy a completely restored car. TOO much $$$$$$ to drive lots.  Is the term "driver" project in the fan club dictionary? I'm assuming that any rebuildable car has been grabed up by now, and probably doesn't exist here.
I see $45000 cars for sale with the bottom looking untouched as in Bad.

Is there a cost corner of the hobby where I can jump in?

Ghoste

There always is and there are many "drivers" on the forum.

Ghoste

plasticman-32

this is the site you wanna be on if you own a dodge charger 1966-1974 or just flat out love them, you can find a charger anywere you just have to ask around and know what you want, the people on this website live for these cars and know just about everything there is too know and some.... sometimes i find myself in a wow about a question i ask and i get about 9 replys of the answer im looking for... so if your dream car is a charger you have come to the right place...... just have to ask and watch the for sales
Im 23 years old and a charger 68-70 was my dream car and i said it time to get me my car i bought a 68 charger for $6,000 that was a complete car that was coverd in a barn for 30+ years true story and its my rock.... means the world too me.. i always said i wont find one there all bought up and everyone wants a arm and a leg and people who sell them cheep have holes rust no floors ect.. but i waited and waited and finally a complete car..

so with all that said your in the right place there out there and dont give up, the hunt can be hard and can be a long road but keep your eyes open and ask around.... welcome to DodgeCharger.com :2thumbs: I can Truly say us charger owners take care of eachother and are friendly we stick together No such thing as a stupid Question here....

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ghoste on December 09, 2013, 06:24:12 PM
There always is and there are many "drivers" on the forum.

I drive mine as much as possible!!  :drive:

Welcome :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

And this is just my opinion Yes to Dodge, but if you are open to any Charger from 68 to 70 then I think the very best thing you could do is just split it right down the middle and go for a 69. 

F8-4life

If you have good patience you could get a driver project, but they are getting more uncommon by the day it seems.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

JB400

Welcome to the forum :cheers:  Best of luck getting the Charger of choice.  There are several that pop up from time to time that fit in with everyone's budget.

While there are some complete cars that fetch a lot, project cars could be a nice alternative as long as you get one as complete as possible.

Ghoste

Which does bring up another point which I'm sure applies to AMC as well but still bears repeating, a project is seldom the cheapest way to buy an old car so like Stroker says, buy the most you can.

Dans 68

Quote from: Ghoste on December 09, 2013, 07:09:19 PM
And this is just my opinion Yes to Dodge, but if you are open to any Charger from 68 to 70 then I think the very best thing you could do is almost split it right down the middle and go for a 68

There. Fixed it.  ;)

Oh, and welcome to the site. Good fellas here.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Mike DC

Define driving "a lot".

Most cars in this hobby don't see 500 miles in a year.  Hardly any cars see 5000 miles in local traffic.  A car with 5000 miles in a year has usually amassed it on a few long road trips.  Its not because the owners never intend to drive them, its because they discover it takes so much money & effort to get the car nice, and it starts coming apart again so quickly once they start driving it again . . . the car ends up parked a lot more than they intended when they started the project.

If you want to drive one of these things 5000+ miles a year then you will find yourself rebuilding all kinds of stuff on the car around that purpose.  These cars were never designed to last a long time, and many of the restoration parts & methods are even shorter-lasting than the original stuff was.

Furthermore, over the last 40 years we have all been getting gradually used to having much better-built cars.  Suddenly stepping back into a '60s car today can be a bit of a surprise.  You will be struck by the bad tolerances, loose fit & finish, uncomfortable design, low options, unreliable electricals, loud noise/vibration, rough ride, weak handling & braking, etc.    

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 10, 2013, 12:03:49 AM

Furthermore, over the last 40 years we have all been getting gradually used to having much better-built cars.  Suddenly stepping back into a '60s car today can be a bit of a surprise.  You will be struck by the bad tolerances, loose fit & finish, uncomfortable design, low options, unreliable electricals, loud noise/vibration, rough ride, weak handling & braking, etc.    

thats what makes it fun!!!!  new cars are the same all have so many creatures of comfort stuff it makes you almost want to fall asleep in the car.  I swear soon you will get your car and there will be a 'nap' button where the car will drive for you for like 30mins or something and then wake you up and then you grab the steering wheel again!!!  :icon_smile_big: or they will put a big coach in there or something etc....

I love getting in the charging knowing I dont have power steering, manual brakes, loud, mean, and requires MUSCLES to drive.......then again I love getting in the minivan also  :icon_smile_big:

68X426

Welcome Yes Man.  :cheers:

Brother Mike DC speaks truth.

My opinion, if you're going to be in a driver, you need a 318 and 2.73 gears. And it should be green on green. Dodge built about 4 million Chargers like that, and they are great drivers. :yesnod:

I love those Mopars. We all do. But if you want a muscle car, and the muscle car experience, you got to step up to a big block and some colorful paint. Keep shopping all sources and eventually you will find the right car for you at the right price.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

I agree with you 1974, if I wanted to drive in my rolling cacoon with satellite radio, blu-ray, super sensing iso wonder non vibration am I even on the road and moving suspension, quad zone heating, laser guided street finder and the other 1000+ items designed to lessen the drive experience then I would never have even bought a Charger.

Dino

If you want to drive one of these things, a lot, then read some of my upgrade posts.  A well tuned Charger will run just fine in stock form, but a few modern touches are no luxury.

It will cost though.  I fill up my car about once a week, once every two when I keep my foot out of it.  (Yeah okay that hasn't happened much)
At $4/gallon with a city mpg of around 8, you do the math.  I put about 3K miles on mine per year. 

I have been involved with these cars since '95 and there are still more than plenty cars left.  Remember, they don't all disappear, most get recycled ie find a new home.  Over the next 10 years we will be seeing a lot of classic cars hit the market as the baby boomers get out of the hobby as well.

Don't go buying the first one you see, there are plenty to choose from BUT you need to be patient.

Also, you want to buy the best car you can afford.  Even then it will likely still need work.  In my opinion, the unmolested drivers are the ones to buy.  The restored cars are way too expensive and you don't always know how the work was done, and project cars are money pits.  No way around it. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

c00nhunterjoe

I can't imagine my fuel cost this year but that's not why we have these cars. I can say that every cruise day for me is at least 2 fillups. I was over 5000 miles this year. I drove my car everywhere. Car shows, cruises, grocery store, work, everywhere.  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Yep I still have no clue what any of my vehicles get for mileage.  Its not the reason I bought any of them.

Dino

True, but you still have to count the cost regardless of its importance or lack thereof. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

I suppose.  I have to drive to work so that one is a need and if there is no money for Charger gas then it sits that day.  I'm not saying I don't care about the expense of fuel but its like food, I have to have it so I have to pay and there is no sense thinking about it.
And absolutely 100% I don't think about it as a cost of owning the Charger.  It just is what it is.
Thats not to say there aren't extremes.  If I were getting 1mpg or fuel was 100 bucks a gallon then I couldn't particpate in the hobby but right now its one of the biggest passions I have and I can afford it, so...

bill440rt

Welcome to DC.com!!  :cheers:

Like others have said this IS the place to be for all things '66 - '74 Charger.  :yesnod:
"Affordable" projects and/or drivers can be still found, if you look HARD enough and are patient. They are out there.
I do try to drive mine as well when I can, but due to life circumstances I'll fall into the "less than 500 miles a year" category. I enjoy EVERY minute of it when I do!
No matter which year you choose you'll have a winner, each year has their own small details which makes them unique.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

plasticman-32

I say no matter how much you spend on gas.. You look good doing it...  :2thumbs:

nvrbdn

hey, welcome to the party first of all.

next point is i put all of 50 miles on mine this year. ok, i did just get it pretty much done. got it to 1 show at the end of the year. next year i will cruise more. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House