News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bench Testing A Headlight Switch

Started by 69hemidaytona, December 06, 2013, 10:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69hemidaytona

I would like to bench test a 69 Charger headlight switch using an ohmmeter. Does anybody know which terminals should have continuity in the various switch positions?

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

A383Wing

should be one terminal marked "B" I think...that will be hot all the time

If I had a pic of back of switch, I could tell you...or a wiring diagram of back of switch

69hemidaytona

Here is a photo of the back of the switch.

A383Wing

"B" is battery power all the time

"H" is headlights, you should have continuity between "B" & "H" when switch is in headlight position only.

"P2" should be tail lights, "P1" should be front park lights.

Tail light circuit should have continuity when switch is in position 1 or 2, not in off

Front park light circuit should have continuity when switch is in position 1

I can't remember if front park lights are on with headlights or not originally

Hard to see the other "P" circuit

69hemidaytona

There is a B1 and a B2. Do they both have power all of the time? Would both the B and B have continuity with H? I dont see a P1 and P 2. I see a P and there might be another P but there is a shadow on that letter. Thanks a lot for the help.

A383Wing

Both B should have power all the time...B1 should be for front park & rear tail lights

B2 should be for headlights if I remember....both B's should not have continuity with each other...looks like there are 2 different circuits there

I really need a wire diagram to be 100% sure....

69hemidaytona

I have the factory service manual on my computer. It has the wiring diagram but I can't figure out how to post it here. According to the schematic there is nothing connected to the P terminal on the switch. :shruggy:

Dino

Both P terminals are linked by the light switch connector.  From there, one wire runs from the light switch to a splice in the trunk to feed the lights, another goes to the dash rheostat.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Nacho-RT74

B terminals are not linked... or shouldn't at least.

one B feeds headlights straight from batt/charging circuit... the other B feeds parking and cluster lights from a fuse at fuse box
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html