News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is there any interest in an OE style intermittent wiper module?

Started by craigemcs, December 05, 2013, 03:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigemcs

I joined the forum la few months ago after being an observer for several months. My company developed the first reproduction intermittent  wiper switch for 1967/68 Mustangs and it's featured in the December 2013 Mustang Monthly magazine. We're looking at expanding into Mopar land and are interested in getting feedback about a possible new product.

We're looking at developing a plug and play module that will convert a standard 2 speed wiper switch into an intermittent wiper switch. Price would be competitive with the Hella box. One of the options we're considering is wiper triggering after the washer switch is pressed.

Please feel free to post your comments on whether you think this is a good idea, like the features, whether you'd buy the product, interested in different features and if you don't think it's a good idea.

Thanks for your feedback.

Craig  

Edit - Corrected typo and added the word options
Craig Eid
Muscle Car Switch
Switch and Wiring Solutions for 1960's and 1970's Muscle Cars

JB400

Sounds like a good idea.  Do you have a link to what you've done for the Mustang crowd? :popcrn:

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

craigemcs

Thanks for the feedback. Here's a link to our current products www.MuscleCarSwitch.com/products.html and we have an additional 3 products that are scheduled for release this weekend. The online Mustang Monthly article is still awaiting publication.
Craig Eid
Muscle Car Switch

JB400

That is pretty cool.  I was wondering if someone had something like this on the market.  Is this a 2 spd wiper only setup or was you considering the 3 spd wiper guys as well?

Are you planning on using the rocker switch like is stock on a 2nd gen or using a different style of switch?

Dino

I bought a module recently that turns the low speed setting of the 2 speed wiper into an intermittent wiper.  No provision to hook in the washer though, I like that idea so I'd buy it if the price was right.

I'm not sure if I'd need any other features.  What would the module look like?  The module I have is controlled by a potentiometer so I can basically stick any type of knob on there but if you can find a way to make it look stock, I'd be very interested.  I have been thinking about modifying the original switch so the first setting is not on or off but a variable switch you can click into the second position which would be the high speed wiper.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

RECHRGD

Great idea!  But I don't drive the Charger in the rain.  Would be nice to have if I ever got caught in a storm though....
13.53 @ 105.32

ODZKing

Quote from: RECHRGD on December 05, 2013, 08:33:12 AM
Great idea!  But I don't drive the Charger in the rain.  Would be nice to have if I ever got caught in a storm though....
Same here but I have 3 speed on the 73 and variable on the 67. :popcrn:

Dino

I drive in anything but snow and ice, I need intermittent wipers.   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

craigemcs

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 05, 2013, 04:23:29 AM
That is pretty cool.  I was wondering if someone had something like this on the market.  Is this a 2 spd wiper only setup or was you considering the 3 spd wiper guys as well?

Are you planning on using the rocker switch like is stock on a 2nd gen or using a different style of switch?
The first Mopar product would work with the 2 speed motor and the rocker style switches. We would address the 3 speed motor if there is sufficient interest.

The module would connect to the back of the rocker switch and you would keep your OEM switch.

Thanks for the feedback.
Craig Eid
Muscle Car Switch

craigemcs

Quote from: Dino on December 05, 2013, 07:27:56 AM
I bought a module recently that turns the low speed setting of the 2 speed wiper into an intermittent wiper.  No provision to hook in the washer though, I like that idea so I'd buy it if the price was right.

I'm not sure if I'd need any other features.  What would the module look like?  The module I have is controlled by a potentiometer so I can basically stick any type of knob on there but if you can find a way to make it look stock, I'd be very interested.  I have been thinking about modifying the original switch so the first setting is not on or off but a variable switch you can click into the second position which would be the high speed wiper.
The module would be housed in a UL 94 flame rated housing and connect between the rocker switch and the wiper motor.

Thanks for the feedback.
Craig Eid
Muscle Car Switch

craigemcs

Quote from: Dino on December 05, 2013, 07:27:56 AM

The module would reside in a UL 94 flame rated housing and connect between the rocker switch and the wiper motor. An external potentiometer would not be required.

Thanks for the feedback.
Craig Eid
Muscle Car Switch

A383Wing

I have had an aftermarket module for my 66 Charger which has variable wipers, and one on the 70 which has 2 speed wipers....works fine. Delays from 2 to 25 seconds for wipers...

Bryan

Ghoste

If I'm reading right then these are all hidden systems, correct?

craigemcs

Quote from: Ghoste on December 09, 2013, 09:28:10 AM
If I'm reading right then these are all hidden systems, correct?
Yes, it would be a hidden system in a small housing that would be mounted under the dash.

Thanks for the feedback,

Craig
Craig Eid
Muscle Car Switch

myk

Quote from: A383Wing on December 05, 2013, 03:25:10 PM
I have had an aftermarket module for my 66 Charger which has variable wipers, and one on the 70 which has 2 speed wipers....works fine. Delays from 2 to 25 seconds for wipers...

Bryan

That's cool-where can I see this unit?

craigemcs

Quote from: Dino on December 05, 2013, 09:39:43 AM
I drive in anything but snow and ice, I need intermittent wipers.   :yesnod:
I've summarized the module operation below for a 2 speed rocker switch and also included a detailed description. Let me know if I'm wasting bandwidth and if so I can add it to our website and attach a link.

Summary - Delay is reduced by ratcheting up from the middle position to the top and back to the middle position; after the 5th delay is selected, another ratchet up and back to middle yields LOW speed and the switch is now a 2 speed switch. Move the rocker to the top position and you're at HIGH speed.

Delay is increased ratcheting down from the middle position to the bottom and back to the middle position; after the 1st delay is selected, another ratchet down and back to middle turns the wipers off.

If the wipers are at any delay speed or at LOW and you need to immediately go to HIGH speed (you get hit with a cloud burst), simply
move the rocker to the top position and the wipers will go to HIGH speed within approximately 1 second.

In a similar function, if the wipers are at any delay speed or at HIGH and you need to immediately go to off (the cloud burst is done), simply
move the rocker to the bottom position and the wipers will turn off within approximately 1 second.

------Detailed description------

Initial settings

1. The switch maintains the OEM bottom position as "Off" and the top position as
"High speed" while the OEM middle position now functions as the variable speed position.
The 5 variable speeds have nominal delay intervals of 18 seconds, 12, 9, 6 and 3 seconds.

Reducing Wiper Delay

2. The start position for the wiper switch is the off position. Moving the lever to the middle
position selects delay speed #1 and the wipers do a single wipe of the windshield.
3. The first wipe is followed approximately 18 seconds later by another wipe and will continue
to repeat at this interval.
4. Changing speed again requires a double positive flick-wipe (flick-wipe to the top side) for
approximately 0.1 seconds followed by a flick-wipe back to the middle [ the switch
position moves from the"Low" position to the "High" position and than back to "Low"]. The
interval will decrease from 18 seconds to approximately 12 seconds and the wipers will
continue to wipe approximately every 12 seconds.
5. Following up with additional double positive flick-wipes will reduce the interval to 9
seconds, then 6 seconds and finally 3 seconds.
6. After reaching the 5th delay setting (approximately 3 seconds), another double positive
flick-wipe within approximately 0.1 seconds will change to the 2 speed mode and selects the
factory Low speed.
7. If you need the factory High speed, simply move the switch lever to the top side and leave
it at that position for approximately 1 second.
8. To select the factory Low speed, simply move the switch lever down to the OEM
middle position and the speed will immediately change to the factory Low speed.

Increasing Wiper Delay

9.Starting at factory Low speed, changing speed to the fastest delay (delay 5) requires a double negative flick-wipe
(flick-wipe to the bottom side for approximately 0.1 seconds followed by a flick-wipe back to the middle
position). The interval is now set to approximately 3 seconds.
10. Changing speed again requires another double negative flick-wipe and selects delay 4 at
approximately 6 seconds.
11. Following up with additional double negative flick-wipes will increase the interval to 9
seconds, then 12 seconds and finally 18 seconds.
12. To turn off the wipers, simply move the switch lever to the bottom position side and leave it at that
position for approximately 1 second.
13. If the ignition is turned off and the switch is at the top position, the wipers speed will revert
to the factory High speed. Simply turning the wipers off and leaving the switch at the bottom
position for approximately 1 second will return the wiper switch to the delay mode.
14. If the ignition is turned off and the switch is at the middle position, the wipers speed will
revert to the factory Low speed. Simply turning the wipers off and leaving the switch at the
bottom position for approximately 1 second will return the wiper switch to the delay mode.
Craig Eid
Muscle Car Switch

Mike DC

How would you adjust the delay speed?

In the big picture it sounds like a great item.  But you may get less interest than with the Ford crowd just because Mopar guys avoid driving their cars in bad weather like the plague.  (Between the crappy build tolerances, and lower production numbers of cars to pick from, Mopar guys have to deal with much worse rust problems than GM or Ford guys.  Once we get a car put together we HATE taking any risks with rusting or crashing the body.)

If the wiper delay is gonna sell then it probably needs to look stock to please the crowd.  I'm not sure how you would adjust the delay time without adding a visible knob/slider/etc. 

craigemcs

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 10, 2013, 02:07:44 AM

How would you adjust the delay speed?

In the big picture it sounds like a great item.  But you may get less interest than with the Ford crowd just because Mopar guys avoid driving their cars in bad weather like the plague.  (Between the crappy build tolerances, and lower production numbers of cars to pick from, Mopar guys have to deal with much worse rust problems than GM or Ford guys.  Once we get a car put together we HATE taking any risks with rusting or crashing the body.)

If the wiper delay is gonna sell then it probably needs to look stock to please the crowd.  I'm not sure how you would adjust the delay time without adding a visible knob/slider/etc. 

Mike - The control module would be hidden (mounted under the dash) and the OEM rocker switch would adjust the delay. At power-up, the 2 speed rocker switch is at 1 of 3 positions - OFF,LOW HIGH - or bottom, middle and top. The bottom position remains the OFF position while the middle
position becomes the variable speed position.

Starting at the OFF position, move the rocker to the middle position and you're at Delay 1, the longest delay. The wipers cycle on and off every 18 seconds at this position. To reduce the delay (cycle on an off faster), toggle the wiper switch to the top position (HIGH) and back to the middle position (LOW) within approximately 0.1 seconds and you're now at Delay 2. Step and repeat to further reduce the delay.

Does this make sense? If not, I can shoot a quick video.

Regarding volume, we're looking at to leverage an existing new controller design that's integrated into a complete wiper switch used in a 1967 & 1968 Mustang intermittent wiper switch. The wiper switch in 67 & 68 'Stangs is a three position lever switch, very similar to the 3 position Mopar rocker switch, and is in the gauge cluster.

Thanks for the feedback.

Craig

Craig Eid
Muscle Car Switch

b5blue

So this thing cycles the delay pause so the wipers are in the at rest position, they wipe one full cycle and stop in the down position. (Where they are when off.)  :scratchchin: How will it know the wipers down?