News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My buddy's '69 GTX Convertible

Started by charge69, December 02, 2013, 08:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charge69

My Bud and I were emailing each other about our old cars and he sent this picture! We ran around together in my Charger R/T HEMI back in the mid-'70's and he got MOPAR FEVER! He ended up buying this GTX Convertible and it was a BAD AZZ ride. It was an Auto car but had a 4.10 Dana rear end and it would scoot off the line! My Charger has a 3.23 rear gear and he would easily beat me from a standing start to 70 to 80 mph.

He lives on a mountain top in Tennessee now and we rarely see each other. Email communication is our most common form of talking now! He, long ago, sold the GTX !  Such a pity and he is sorry he ever got rid of it!

JB400

Nice looking ride.

Maybe, he'll get interested in getting another

charge69

I am fairly sure he is interested again, especially after seeing my Charger restored. However; to make a long story short, he had a bad infection in his lower right leg that turned life-threatening and the Doctors had to cut off his right leg a few inches above the knee to save his life! This was about 6 months ago and he is doing fine now but coping with losing his leg and dealing with all the problems that fitting an artificial leg to his stump can create!

I can remember him wanting to take the GTX down the dragstrip just to see what it would turn. He went to a strip that is no longer there, actually just off loop 494 and Kingwood dr. for you local Houstonians, and gave it a go. It was funny seeing him with the top down and a helmet on driving down the strip with only one hand on the steering wheel and his arm resting on the driver's door top, making it look like a "Sunday Drive"!  As I remember he turned mid-13s at a little over 100 mph and the crowd was cheering him on and laughing out loud as he beat a few other cars driving like it was a "Sunday Cruise"!

Ahhhhh,  the Good Old Days !!!  ..........  He loves seeing my Charger restored but I doubt he will get "The FEVER" for another MOPAR Musclecar again!

resq302

Close looking car to my Dad's 69 GTX vert.  T3 honey bronze with tan interior and black top.

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Mopar Nut

Quote from: resq302 on December 02, 2013, 11:47:46 PM
Close looking car to my Dad's 69 GTX vert.  T3 honey bronze with tan interior and black top.

That's gorgeous!
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

tan top

Quote from: charge69 on December 02, 2013, 08:29:43 PM
My Bud and I were emailing each other about our old cars and he sent this picture! We ran around together in my Charger R/T HEMI back in the mid-'70's and he got MOPAR FEVER! He ended up buying this GTX Convertible and it was a BAD AZZ ride. It was an Auto car but had a 4.10 Dana rear end and it would scoot off the line! My Charger has a 3.23 rear gear and he would easily beat me from a standing start to 70 to 80 mph.

He lives on a mountain top in Tennessee now and we rarely see each other. Email communication is our most common form of talking now! He, long ago, sold the GTX !  Such a pity and he is sorry he ever got rid of it!

good picture , love this back in the day stuff !! thanks for sharing  :cheers:

Quote from: resq302 on December 02, 2013, 11:47:46 PM
Close looking car to my Dad's 69 GTX vert.  T3 honey bronze with tan interior and black top.

:drool5:  looks awesome  :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

charge69

resq302:  Your dad had a beautiful GTX!  My friends' did not have the hood stripes and had a white top. It did have a tan interior, though and was a pretty clean example of a GTX. I always loved those old "bricks" and still do!

GOTWING

cool picture, adding it to my "vintage mopar photo collection "  :2thumbs:

hemi68charger

I helped restore a T5 Copper '69 440 convertible GTX back in the mid' 80's.....  It was an auto car, don't recall the differential......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

charge69

Very nice and it looks good with a black top.  My friend's top was white and the car looked just as good with either color top!

resq302

Charger69,

Dad actually just got this car this past April.  100% orig. sheet metal, convert. top, #s match drive train etc!  As nice as it is, it is not up to our standards so it is undergoing a cosmetic resto to freshen it up.  The undercarriage has / had 44 years of grease and grime and lots of original inspection markings are being found and replicated when possible!  The hood stripes are not original to the car though as it is not coded for it on the fender tag, but, was on there when we got it and the car looks amazing with it so there it stays (plus Dad really, really likes the stripes!)
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

charge69

Your Father has a beautiful GTX and a veritable "time machine" with it all original! It does look great with the stripes and I would leave them on the car also!

Ghoste

Who knows, maybe he will get "the fever" again, it could be great therapy for coping with the leg.

resq302

Charge69,

I am taking all kinds of pics as there is tons of stuff that I never have seen before (aside from Dave Walden's cars) like dip lines, inspection marks (stuff I have never seen before out of the norm) and other stuff.  This truly is a time capsule.  When was the last time you have seen date coding and stampings on the back side of the door panels?
Brian

charge69

When was the last time you have seen date coding and stampings on the back side of the door panels?

Actually, both of my original door panels had date-codings stamped on them. Sadly, the door panels were too yellowed to use so, I bought reproductions but, I did save the originals. They are out in a box in my garage now.

resq302

The ones on the GTX were in great shape but had like one small cut in the woodgrain on each panel or the woodgrain shrunk where you could see the particle wood backing.  Otherwise, it would have been able to have been saved.
Brian

charge69

Not really sure what GTX door panels look like but, they must have some "faux" wood grain paneling on the door trim. Really a shame you couldn't save it if it was  original. 

White interior, like my Charger, yellows with age whether it is exposed to UV or not as my Charger was garaged for the last 30+ years and the interior parts were much "whiter" when it was put away for a future restoration in 1982.

resq302

This is what the original panels looked like.

Brian

charge69

I can see a little wrinkling of the wood grain there and, I know pictures can hide a lot of defects but, that panel looks mighty fine to me. 

resq302

what you dont see is what that rubber edging was hiding.  That gold painted rubber round edging is not original to the car and was there to hide the vinyl woodgrain that had shrunk.  You also can not see the small cuts in the vinyl although I think that this door panel was one of the better ones.
Brian

resq302

Brian

resq302

Brian

charge69

Oh well,  the panels look to be in great shape given the age of the car.  Nice date-code and part number stamping on the back which looks to be in great shape also! No water damage to it is a lucky break for a convertible. The picture of the driver's side door shows nice the upholstery on the seats has been kept!

The GTX is a really nice find and he is a lucky man !!  It was a beautiful car back in the day and still is a beauty !!

resq302

I wish I could say the seat covers and carpeting are original but they are Legendary repro's.  Door panels will soon be Legendary as well but the originals will be kept in climate controlled storage as the heat pressed vinyl is in great shape.  Just the mylar and woodgraining needs to be redone.  If someone should start doing that then maybe we can get our originals restored!
Brian

Ghoste