News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

R/T clones

Started by hydroforce2, December 02, 2013, 10:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

Quote from: 6pkrtse on December 03, 2013, 03:45:56 PM
My Challenger is only a A66 340 car originally. It now has all of the R/T emblems & stripe. So flame away. Stripe going back on here.
But that's not really fair! The A66 cars already had the bulge hood, dual exhaust, HD suspension, and a bumble bee stripe. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Tilar

I don't see a problem with it either way as long as you don't try to pass off an XP car as a true R/T. I originally intended on making mine an R/T clone with all the options, but I'm thinking that I may just stay with a base model but with all the options. I'll let you know for sure the day I drive it out of the shop.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Cooter

I got R/T emblems on everything. Even my Yota.
Got asked one time with the Yota, I said; it stands for 'ready teddy'.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

Let's see, I got the 440 HP and 727, dual exhaust, 8 3/4 axle, extra leaf, 3/8 fuel line with 1/4 return and vapor separator, bigger brakes, bigger sway bar, bigger torsion bars.  I think it's pretty close to being a true R/T clone but I don't have the badges on it nor will it ever.  When time permits I'll remove the R/T stripe the po put on and replace it with a '70 stripe.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

XH29N0G

Funny that few have thought of going the other way and making an XH clone.  :nana:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

hydroforce2

all valued info. thanks
1968 Dodge Charger - 383 4 speed
1968 Dodge Charger - 383 auto
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 6" lift
2005 Dodge Rumble Bee - #3517 Black 4x4

Ghoste

I've done it in the past and it doesn't really bother me but if I wouldn't add them now.  I think there is every bit as much right to be proud of having an XP Charger with the arrow in the grille as an XS with RT badge.

Dans 68

Quote from: Ghoste on December 09, 2013, 12:33:58 PM
...I think there is every bit as much right to be proud of having an XP Charger with the arrow in the grille as an XS with RT badge.

Yep.  ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

hydroforce2

well, i put them on and it looks great as expected. I didn't have a good time installing it on the headlight door.. is there a trick?
1968 Dodge Charger - 383 4 speed
1968 Dodge Charger - 383 auto
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 6" lift
2005 Dodge Rumble Bee - #3517 Black 4x4

xoman60

I think the R/T badge looks great and I would never fault anyone for putting it on an XP. Its just not that big a deal to me if someone does it. That said I just purchased an XP charger that the previous owner dropped a 440 in and upgraded the suspension. The rest of the car is pretty much stock but I have no plans to put R/T badges anywhere. I really like the unmarked look. The car also has custom headers and exhaust so its a little loud. I've been getting a lot of whats in that car questions when Im driving around town.

myk

Quote from: xoman60 on December 28, 2013, 12:09:36 AM
I think the R/T badge looks great and I would never fault anyone for putting it on an XP. Its just not that big a deal to me if someone does it. That said I just purchased an XP charger that the previous owner dropped a 440 in and upgraded the suspension. The rest of the car is pretty much stock but I have no plans to put R/T badges anywhere. I really like the unmarked look. The car also has custom headers and exhaust so its a little loud. I've been getting a lot of whats in that car questions when Im driving around town.

100% agreed.  I was going to replace all of the emblems and badges on my car but I decided to leave it completely unmarked; I like that look as well as the enigma it represents to onlookers...

UH60L

By the time I got my '69 off of ebay in 2004, it had been swapped from a 318 to a 440/727b roughly 20 years earlier.

I've put '69 front disc brakes on it, new leaf springs, a rear sway bar, dual exhaust, etc etc etc.  Basically the only big part that wouldn't have come on an R/T is the rear end, it's a 2/76.  I kinda like getting the better mileage and higher top end speed though so I probably won't change that.

Thus, for me, I have no problem with putting R/T emblems on it (and I have).  I have not and will not, however, hide, cover up or change the vin tag.  I like the fact that my car is a mutt, lets me do what I want to it without destroying the value.

Heck, I might even throw in a "tic toc tach" while I have the dash still tore apart, or at least a tach instead of the non-functioning clock.

Ghoste

Definitely get the tach in there, it's one of the coolest parts of that cluster.

fy469rtse

Could you order option the tic tock in a Xp car ? Charger boy after all the work you have done to make this car the way it is today, you do what you want to it,
I have no problem with the adding of rt badges, what would you do if you had a car that the dealership added these to because they wanted an rt for display window purposes ? Would you put them back as dealership had done, Xperia car , h code highly optioned.
I have more of a problem with witnessing after the purchase , evidence of bodgy work, coverups and ripoff artists.

Tilar

My XP car came with the tic toc tach.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Ghoste

Yes, the tach option was available across the board.

69wannabe

I put the tic toc tach in mine back in the spring. Had found and traded a friend out of an original one and sent it to redline gaugeworks and got it completely rebuilt. One of my most favorite additions I have made to my charger since I have owned it. Also had my sport steering wheel re-done back in the spring since these are what I am looking at when i'm driving around. It seemed like the right things to get fixed up and on there!!!!  :yesnod:

Daytona Guy

The question is, would you pull a HEMI out of a HEMI Charger and put a slant six in it, take the R/T badging off, and make it a strip down car to fool everyone into thinking this is the car to have?  :smilielol:

Personaly, I'm against any modifications to Chargers. I'm known for being a purist. I'm still looking for the original air that was in my stock tires.  :lol: I was angry when I bought a 70 Charger that had 80K, back in '76, only to find out the original owner changed the original oil.

Dane

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Troy on December 03, 2013, 12:12:20 PM
No, R/Ts got upgraded to 11" drums, HD torsion bars and staggered rear leaf springs. The 383 had the same torsion bars and 10" drums as a small block. All R/T's would have had at least an 8 3/4" rear axle with a Dana available.

Troy

My 383 came with 11" drums on all fours, what would it say on the broadcast sheet to confirm it?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

fy469rtse

CDR it suits yours to have RT on it, stands for real trouble heh  :D

Ghoste

On your broadcast sheet you will see a section for brakes with two categories.  If there is a 31 in the part for "HD or Disc", then you had 11 inch from the start.

Troy

Quote from: Mopar Nut on January 04, 2014, 04:00:17 AM
Quote from: Troy on December 03, 2013, 12:12:20 PM
No, R/Ts got upgraded to 11" drums, HD torsion bars and staggered rear leaf springs. The 383 had the same torsion bars and 10" drums as a small block. All R/T's would have had at least an 8 3/4" rear axle with a Dana available.

Troy

My 383 came with 11" drums on all fours, what would it say on the broadcast sheet to confirm it?
I suppose someone could order anything they wanted but, if they didn't, then the "standard equipment" on a 383 Charger would have been 10" drums, small torsion bars, and the normal rear spring pack. See Ghoste's post about the build sheet. I believe your fender tag would likely also indicate that the car was special ordered. I doubt the dealer was ordering cars with upgraded brakes just for fun.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Patronus

Oh boy! My favorite topic!! Like a bunch on old women talking about purses.  :brickwall:
Unfortunately MaMopar decided it needed to lug out the headlight door for the emblems to mount. I think its the only real mistake they made. I dont need no stinkin badges.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

jaak

I  don't find anything wrong with building clones, with RT's, Super Bee's, Roadrunner's, etc. getting more expensive and difficult to find, in some cases a clone is the only option for some people.
Funny thing is, with so many clones around (not just Mopar but Chevy, fords,etc.) Most times when people want to look, ask questions about my Charger, most times they assume it is a clone and are surprised to find out it is a real RT. Doesn't really bother me, but like I said more times than not they assume it is a clone.

Jason

Dino

I just can't care anymore about what others think.  One guy once told me that he knew my car was not a real R/T because them Challengers never came as R/T's in '71.  Yeah...

I always preferred the look of R/T badges over the arrows, until I saw an arrow badge that still (or once more) had actual paint on it!   :lol:  Now I like both.

I need to clean up my grille emblem but need a new one for the tail panel.  Of all the chrome on the car, the rear badge is the worst.  I hope the repro's are decent quality. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.