News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Packard 56 terminals

Started by Dino, December 02, 2013, 08:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I need a hand full of the male and female Packard 56 terminals but of course in all different sizes.  I need some for 12, 14, 16 and 18 gauge wire.  If I buy all the kits I will be left with a ton of these.  Is there really that much difference between them?  Can I not just buy them all for 14 for instance and make them work on all the wiring?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Pete in NH

Hi Dino,

The 56 terminals have two sets of crimp tabs. The outer one at the wire entry point is to grip the wire insulation and the second inner set it to actually crimp and secure the wire for an electrical connection. Unfortunately, the spacings and height of both these sets of tabs changes with the wire size. I imagine you could kind of jury rig one size pin on all the wire sizes with a small amount of solder on the set of inner tabs for the electrical connection and sort of take what you get on the insulation crimp. Honestly, it would be much less than a good job and I wouldn't do it on anything I really cared about. The key to getting a reliable connection both electrical and mechanical with these pins is to use the right size pin and the right crimping tool.

Dino

Thanks Pete!

I completely agree and I will buy the sizes I need.  Strangely enough, depending where you shop they are either by size range such as 16-14 awg, or they are sold to fit all wiring which is a bit strange.  Some stores don't even carry these for 12 awg wire.

Oh well, guess I'll have a bunch of spares.   :icon_smile_big:

b5blue

Go to NAPA and look at the "Book" they will get you the right stuff and have the correct crimp tool. Let me know if you need the part #.   :2thumbs:

Dino

Quote from: b5blue on December 03, 2013, 06:53:18 AM
Go to NAPA and look at the "Book" they will get you the right stuff and have the correct crimp tool. Let me know if you need the part #.   :2thumbs:

Good idea!  There's one down the road from work so I'll drop by there tonight.

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: b5blue on December 03, 2013, 06:53:18 AM
Got my crimper and terminals there too!! Got the right stuff :2thumbs: