News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

At what amp does a fuses-able link melt?

Started by cudaken, November 23, 2013, 07:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

OK, what amp does one melt? I have my old one out and looks like Brain is going to help me with the spade connector.

If thinking again about using a in line glass fuse the first time around as a test. I think I was told I would need 40 amp fuse. Highest I found was 35 amps.

When does the engine harness draw the most during starting I would guess. :scratchchin: Ron said my point system old needs around 1 amp or so to stay running. Then there would be the drain from the oil pressure gauge, horn, washer motor, am I missing anything?

Does the recharging of the battery go thought the link?

I just want to check there is no other problems, then I will install the correct wiring.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Ghoste

For some reason I thought the links were rated for 40 amps??

Pete in NH

Ken,

Exactly when the 16 gauge (blue) fusible links melt is hard to really know. My best guess is somewhere between 50 and 60 amps. It depends on the length of the link and, temperature around the link and how much the overload current is. If the overload is around 60 amps it may sit there and smoke the insulation for a while before it finally melts open. If there is a dead short and the battery dumps a few hundred amps thought it it will go in a flash.

Yes, the battery charging current flows through the link. You should be able to use your 30 -35 amp glass fuses for tests. You might blow a few of them if the battery charging current is high. Also, I would not turn on a lot of things like the lights or heater blower motor. You should be able to run the engine and do some battery charging okay.

cudaken

Pete, my headlights still work? Same with the trail and brake lights. Hope I just hooked the charger up backwards and that what caused this mess. Got my self the other day getting to hook it up backwards.  :slap:

Thanks for the answer Ghost and Pete.

Ken
I am back

Nacho-RT74

100 amps alts got 14 fuse link... go figure
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html