News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 charger recreation

Started by spoolinhard, November 22, 2013, 05:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoolinhard

Ok, here is my story. I am 29 years old, when I was in high school my dad and I found a 68 R/T out to pasture that I bought for pocket change. I bought it and brought it home; since I already had a challenger project my mom was pissed when I drug the charger home. Needless to say she made me sell it and I have wanted one ever since. I vowed that the next opportunity I had to own one I would keep it. Fast forward to todays insane charger prices it took alot of digging but I bought a very crusty (but complete) 70 charger. While I was hunting up unibody parts for it I ran across the 69 that I am currently building, which turned out to be in way better shape than the 70. So, with the 70 being my favorite (and also the the best year for chargers :2thumbs:) I sold off all of the 69 specific pieces of the car (made my money back and even a couple dollars on the 69) and am going to convert it to 70 with the parts car that I have as well as all of the pieces that I have collected. It is going to be plum crazy with a white bench seat interior and a white rump stripe with go wing.

The car was wrecked in the 80s and sat around as a parts car ever since. The car is currently at the frame shop getting the front frame damage pulled. After I get it back I am going to replace the upper and lower cowl along with the firewall from a donor car. I am also replacing the drivers frame rail/inner fender along with the radiator support as one unit (scavenged from 70 R/T). The car will also need new floors from the firewall to the tail light panel. I have pretty much everything, just waiting to get the car back and am super excited to start on it!!!

Here is the crusty 70. It will give up its drivetrain, suspension and interior.

and here is the soon to be former 69

Here are a few of the parts that are going to be used in the resto.

Ghoste

Looks like you are going to do one heckuva project there.  Good for you.  :cheers:

spoolinhard

Quote from: Ghoste on November 22, 2013, 05:48:31 PM
Looks like you are going to do one heckuva project there.  Good for you.  :cheers:

Ive always wanted to try out alot of the new goodmark/AMD panels, so looks like this is the project I will get to, thanks!

BIGBLCK11

:2thumbs: Great project!  What do you plan on for a power plant, suspension and wheel combo, original or restomod?

Baldwinvette77

Can i have whats left of your parts car when you are done?   :lol:

Nice to see youre getting busy again, i've been waiting  :popcrn:

spoolinhard

Quote from: BIGBLCK11 on November 22, 2013, 06:27:20 PM
:2thumbs: Great project!  What do you plan on for a power plant, suspension and wheel combo, original or restomod?

The 70 has its matching #'s drivetrain. Mechanically its supposed to be sound, so for now a drop in 383/auto setup. I think that I am going to drive this car while I restore it, so First off is to knock out the metal work then assemble the car to a driver status. Once its moving under its own power then I will work on making it all one color. As for wheels, I am getting off pretty easy. Ive always been a fan of the dog dish/steelies look on b bodies. I have a set of 15X8 rims that I have been saving back so thats what I am going to use. And with as many parts I am using in this car I don't think that I can call it original! There will be more original metal than repop used, just not original to either car! Most of all I am going to have fun and make this car the way I want.

spoolinhard

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on November 22, 2013, 06:36:04 PM
Can i have whats left of your parts car when you are done?   :lol:

Nice to see youre getting busy again, i've been waiting  :popcrn:

I don't think you realize how little of the 70 will be left after I scavange the parts I need! If you would like to arrange for a pile of rust to be delivered to Canada start making arrangements lol! The quarters pretty much tell the story of the whole car. The only useable body panel is the front valance.

spoolinhard

Heres some more pieces awaiting their turn. These 2 pieces will make the job much easier  :2thumbs:.  Drove down to Kansas for the firewall

Here is the front frame/radiator support. I bought the whole engine basket out of Beatrice Nebraska and salvaged what I needed. It was a shame, it was a true 70 R/T. The PO bought the car as a bare shell and cut the rocker out of it and scrapped the car.

Here is the 26 inch radiator opening that I made. All the contours were there to make the smaller opening a 26 inch, so I just chopped the center out of the panel and stitched them back together! Worked great, much better than trying to salvage the opening out of the parts car in this weather!

spoolinhard

Picked it up from getting the frame pulled a couple days ago, been busy. Sorry for the crappy cell pics, will have my digital on me next time.

spoolinhard

I suppose that I have some updates :scratchchin:
Cowl and firewall welded in:

Long way from this:

To this:

The hood to cowl gap is dead on

So Now I am working on this:

Note the inner rocker patch. Been making good use out of that 69 fender :2thumbs: I keep telling people that fender is going to end up back in the car one way or another!

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Baldwinvette77

fy469rtse

good work ,  :2thumbs:so far so good , keep posting, looking good

BROCK

My hat is off to you Sir!!!! :popcrn:  :drool5: :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

spoolinhard

chaos52

Wow, looks very familiar! I did the same framerail and core support repairs. Didn't have to replace the cowl, though.

Check out my build thread... http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,92289.0.html

Best of luck. Keep chipping away at it!

projectanimal

Lookin good!  Keep up the progress!  :2thumbs: :cheers:
northwest CT

myk

Looks like a car CAN come back after all.  Are you keeping the sport mirrors? 
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

ACUDANUT

spoolinhard

Quote from: chaos52 on February 02, 2014, 08:16:49 PM
Wow, looks very familiar! I did the same framerail and core support repairs. Didn't have to replace the cowl, though.

Check out my build thread... http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,92289.0.html

Best of luck. Keep chipping away at it!

Thanks, and I have been following your thread pretty much since you started it  :2thumbs:

spoolinhard

Quote from: myk on February 03, 2014, 10:28:41 PM
Looks like a car CAN come back after all.  Are you keeping the sport mirrors? 

They are kind of neat and kind of not, but no.

ACUDANUT

Really, That's right next to me.  What else does he have. You have a name and contact ?

spoolinhard

He had another b body front clip that he was trying to sell, thats about it, that was over craigslist this past summer, sorry no contact info saved.

spoolinhard

More progress!

Moving on to the rear seat pan next