News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

engine harness wire question

Started by Lord Warlock, November 22, 2013, 04:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

On the harness section that connects to the heater blower motor, one wire plugs into the blower motor (has a plug) there is a longer wire that is blue or black,  anyone know what it connects to? mine is missing the connector on the end so not sure where it goes or connects to.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Hard Charger

i will be removing mine in a couple days.
I will take a picture for you.

Dino

Quote from: Lord Warlock on November 22, 2013, 04:04:17 PM
On the harness section that connects to the heater blower motor, one wire plugs into the blower motor (has a plug) there is a longer wire that is blue or black,  anyone know what it connects to? mine is missing the connector on the end so not sure where it goes or connects to.

I will check my wiring in a few but without looking, a dark blue wire goes to your a/c compressor.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Fred

Yes the dark blue wire hooks up to your a/c compressor.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

charger Downunder

Looking at mine easy to view from the engine side. The green wire goes to the motor and the black one in an earth. my car is a 70 with ac.
[/quote]

Lord Warlock

an earth.?  whats that in american? sounded like a downunder word.  did you mean a ground? It could be blue, it could be black just can't tell anymore.  The fact that one wire goes to the heater motor does make me wonder if the only other wire coming out of that particular loom would go to the AC condenser since they go to the same switch panel on the dash, if i remember right, the wire would run atop the passenger side valve cover to the front of the motor but there is a 2nd loom that does that so not sure why it wouldn't be wrapped in the same group that goes to the alternator, water temp, washer pump and horns.

It seems quite a few of the wires have failing insulation, where they've cracked enough to have bare spots, or missing ends, i may have to splice in new wires or buy a new harness, or at a minimum heatshrink new patches over the broken spots.  where do people go to order new harness wiring? yearone?
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Fred

Quote from: Lord Warlock on November 23, 2013, 11:02:46 PM
an earth.?  whats that in american? sounded like a downunder word.  did you mean a ground? It could be blue, it could be black just can't tell anymore.  The fact that one wire goes to the heater motor does make me wonder if the only other wire coming out of that particular loom would go to the AC condenser since they go to the same switch panel on the dash, if i remember right, the wire would run atop the passenger side valve cover to the front of the motor but there is a 2nd loom that does that so not sure why it wouldn't be wrapped in the same group that goes to the alternator, water temp, washer pump and horns.

It seems quite a few of the wires have failing insulation, where they've cracked enough to have bare spots, or missing ends, i may have to splice in new wires or buy a new harness, or at a minimum heatshrink new patches over the broken spots.  where do people go to order new harness wiring? yearone?

Earth means ground.

Year One has the best harnesses IMO

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Fred on November 23, 2013, 11:16:44 PM
Earth means ground.

:iagree: made by M&H, high quality with plug and play.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Fred

Quote from: Mopar Nut on November 24, 2013, 02:20:42 AM
Quote from: Fred on November 23, 2013, 11:16:44 PM
Earth means ground.

:iagree: made by M&H, high quality with plug and play.

And they've copied the original 100%

Lord Warlock

Was looking at yearone right now,  price isn't too bad, better than doing it myself and botching it up.  Seems I'll need to figure out which part is what, there appears to be 3 seperate engine pieces that i can figure out, two to the right one to the left, the one to left goes to headlights, the ones to the right go to heater motor, and another to the alternator, horns, and washer, water temp, coil etc.  Are these sold as different harnesses or all part of one kit?  Don't think i need to change the headlight harness...but didn't look close at it today was messing with the other two. 

Fred

Quote from: Lord Warlock on November 24, 2013, 02:32:46 AM
Was looking at yearone right now,  price isn't too bad, better than doing it myself and botching it up.  Seems I'll need to figure out which part is what, there appears to be 3 seperate engine pieces that i can figure out, two to the right one to the left, the one to left goes to headlights, the ones to the right go to heater motor, and another to the alternator, horns, and washer, water temp, coil etc.  Are these sold as different harnesses or all part of one kit?  Don't think i need to change the headlight harness...but didn't look close at it today was messing with the other two. 

Just send an email to Year One and they'll sort you out.

Ghoste

Lord Warlock

Put the order in for the front engine harness,  Just too many missing ends/connectors and showing breaks in the insulation, so figured i'd get the new one and use it instead. If its a one piece, hope all the connectors are right. 

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Lord Warlock on December 07, 2013, 09:52:37 PM
Put the order in for the front engine harness,  Just too many missing ends/connectors and showing breaks in the insulation, so figured i'd get the new one and use it instead. If its a one piece, hope all the connectors are right. 
Where did you decide to purchase the harness from?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Lord Warlock

YearOne.  Figured it was as good a place as any. 

Mopar Nut

You picked the best place, did you get the discount?

Lord Warlock

lol, didn't even think about a discount.  Think i paid 102.00 for it.  There was some sale going on but i rarely pay attention to sales, I just decide if the price is reasonable and go with it.  I think rebates on pc parts kind of dulled my desire to deal with rebates and discounts.  

Lord Warlock

Wire harness came in today, it constituted the middle plug in the distribution block, and I'm happy with the workmanship of what i got, it didn't however come with the wires for the heater core and I suppose the AC wire and wiper motor which come off one of the other two plugs in the distribution block, I'll need to replace that one too, may end up just buying all of them just to be on the safe side.  The heater wire has a black plug on the end of mine, the longer wire which i think is the AC wire is missing the plug end on it, plus the insulation is broken in the middle of the wire and you can see the wire itself through the gap, I'll either splice in a new wire and plug or order a new harness plug,  The headlight harness seems to be more expensive than the other two.  Not sure i'll replace it yet.  Will probably do so eventually, but i've got other priorities right now. 

Dino

I had a few wires that were mangled by previous owners so I bought new Packard terminals and a few feet of 12, 14, 16 and 18 AWG wires and made my own.

If all you need out of one plug is one or two wires, I'd go that route.  If all else is in good shape that is.  When in doubt, replace the whole thing.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Lord Warlock

Overall, i've been pretty lucky in that the wires on the car haven't been hacked at all, the engine bay wires are just old and have broken insulation in places where they could cause a short, so I replaced the harness that had the worst problems and hooked up to most of the important parts.  i.e. the ballast resistor, voltage regulator, alternator etc.  The heater and AC wires will need replacing as the ac wires is not long enough and has no plug on the end but the heater wire and wiper motor wire appear to be ok.  But i can live without both of those for a while, as I don't plan on using the AC in the near future, i'd have to reinstall much of it that i've taken off.  The headlight harness looks to be in passable condition still.  The wires under the dash i can only hope are in good shape, i haven't gotten up inside those yet, they've never been butchered, someone did unhook the radio and tap into another to use an under dash radio at one point, all i had to do was find the plug and plug the radio back in and it worked. 

will

I needed a windshield wiper motor harness at one point. I had to get the a/c harness separatley. The a/c harness goes in the empty spaces on the wiper harness.