News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'71 440 PCV/Breather question

Started by GregY, November 21, 2013, 08:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregY

Guys,

I am little confused as to what my 1971 440 is supposed to have for breathers/PCV valves.

The passenger side valve cover has the three nipple breather.  One nipple goes to the gas tank, one to the base of the carb, and one to the base of the air filter.

I am getting conflicting information as to what the drivers side valve cover should have.  A PCV or just a breather?  It seems to me that the three nipple breather is evacuating crankcase pressure (through the line to the base of the carb), so that the driver side should just need a breather.

Thank you.

Greg

Dino

I have a '71 440 in my '69 with the PCV valve on the driver's side valve cover, hooked to the carb, and a breather on the passenger side.  I don't have the 3 nipple breather though.  Got a pic?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

GregY

It looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mopar-1970-74-3-Nipple-Valve-Cover-Breather-/400592080254  

I know this is correct for the passenger side, I need to figure out what goes on the drivers side.  It is seeming some people run a regular breather and some people run a PCV valve.

GregY

So according to the FSM, it should have a PCV valve on the drivers side.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Greg

john108

On my 1968 440, Breather is on drivers side and PVC is on Passenger side.
See Picture.