News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The new beginning; Elephant with wings.... Whatcha think?

Started by hemi68charger, November 15, 2013, 08:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on March 16, 2014, 09:24:13 AM
Looks great Troy! :2thumbs:

When is the transplant?

You mean it aint in yet? What's taking so long? 

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on March 16, 2014, 10:50:40 AM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on March 16, 2014, 09:24:13 AM
Looks great Troy! :2thumbs:

When is the transplant?

You mean it aint in yet? What's taking so long? 

You going to give me an interest-free loan that I don't have to pay back? I mean, I have a great new job, but it ain't that great.......... One step in front of the other... Plus, I'm waiting for the other car to show up before I "decommission" this one and place her in the hospital for the transplant.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

1970Moparmann

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 16, 2014, 01:22:30 PM
I'm waiting for the other car to show up before I "decommission" this one and place her in the hospital for the transplant.....

:2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

One step closer... My AR140 AR Engineering .375 crank spacers arrived today... From the looks of it, it looks dead-on.. I think this was a relatively good solution and quickly at about $80 total........ I just need to get some longer bolts...... Hopefully I can find the same type of bolts that are OEM, but a little longer.......

Scott, whatcha think?
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

ws23rt

hemi68charger

Some more today.......

Power steering pump... I got my refurbished Federal Power Steering pump back today with the proper Hemi pulley installed. I painted it all up and installed. I am pleased thus far with the alignment of water pump, alternator, crank and p.s. pump with the AR140 spacers for the crank....  Also got my tranny dipstick for a hemi and fuel fittings for the fuel pump. I am looking into getting the proper squeeze fuel line clamps. A little OEM-overkill, but that's what I'm all about as long as it doesn't break the bank or take food off the table...... ( or beer in the Frig........  :icon_smile_big: )

Also, pleasant surprise. I was taking off the remanufacture decals placed on the alternator I got last week from the local auto parts house. Low and behold, the darn thing is a proper 1969 383/440 alternator !!! with a date code of 4-69 no less !!! The same month my Daytona was built !!! This alternator is a keeper !! With the proper era pulley, she looks the part......
Troy

hemi68charger

Ok, today lifted the motor off the cradle and put on an engine stand so I could tinker with the headers and modify the dipstick tube to accommodate the headers..... I think it came out pretty cool...
Troy

hemi68charger

Dipstick modification..

I used a piece of wire to make a template of sorts to I could pattern the bends/modifications to the OEM dipstick tube to accommodate the headers. I think it came out pretty good... Not touching the header tubes and the dipstick can be inserted just fine.......... 

Alright guys,,,,,, You know what I mean......  :smilielol:
Troy

hemi68charger

Finished...... of course they are temporarily installed, still have tranny and starter to due eventually....
Troy

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

hemi68charger

Quote from: cdr on March 30, 2014, 10:46:14 PM
is that a #s matching dip stick  :D

Reproduction date-coded correct OEM NOS piece................. That, as Kori has eluded to me, will need to be slightly modified again. As I was doing this, I was living in a 440-world. The tube will need to be bend slightly more vertical and maybe forward some. There's that battery tray that could potentially give me some grief. But, I'll overcome.
Troy

Mytur Binsdirti

Well there's an hour's worth of work. What did you do the rest of the day?   :icon_smile_big:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on March 31, 2014, 07:29:35 AM
Well there's an hour's worth of work. What did you do the rest of the day?   :icon_smile_big:

Went to church, mounted decorative metal frame plant holders outside ( Honey-do ), picked up the last of the Girl Scout cookies for delivery for my daughter, moved the motor from the dolley it was on to the engine stand, changed out all the exhaust gaskets on the Green Superbee there in the garage all while watching the NASCAR Cup and truck race...........
Troy

Hemi Runner

That's looking great! The headers are a wise choice and you'll never see them once installed.

41husk

I have been lurking this thread for a bit, and I have to say that I can't wait to see it in place.  I hope the other car arrives real soon!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Mopar John

Troy,
That was a great surprise on the alternator!
I need to order one for the Superbird and see what happens?
MJ

DAY CLONA

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 17, 2014, 07:23:55 PM
One step closer... My AR140 AR Engineering .375 crank spacers arrived today... From the looks of it, it looks dead-on.. I think this was a relatively good solution and quickly at about $80 total........ I just need to get some longer bolts...... Hopefully I can find the same type of bolts that are OEM, but a little longer.......

Scott, whatcha think?

Could just be an optical, but the lower pulley appears to be located further back (groove alignment wise) than the water pump pulley, did you put a straight edge against the water pump pulley groove back edge to see where it lined up in relation to the bottom groove?, otherwise if it's off, your going to throw belts, FYI run solid V belts, esp the alternator, as the cogged style will roll over in high RPM blasts....the HEMI winds up more rapid than a 440, and higher RPMs as well, I had that issue running cogged belts on a few 472 HEMIs

hemi68charger

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 04, 2014, 11:32:03 AM
Could just be an optical, but the lower pulley appears to be located further back (groove alignment wise) than the water pump pulley, did you put a straight edge against the water pump pulley groove back edge to see where it lined up in relation to the bottom groove?, otherwise if it's off, your going to throw belts, FYI run solid V belts, esp the alternator, as the cogged style will roll over in high RPM blasts....the HEMI winds up more rapid than a 440, and higher RPMs as well, I had that issue running cogged belts on a few 472 HEMIs

Good points Mike.. I will be getting some solid belts.......... Any suggestion on a brand? I was thinking of the reproduction ones, but man... $75 for one belt?

Troy

maxwellwedge

AB - The re-pops like nice but they stretch fast and fly off. Get a good brand name.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 04, 2014, 12:27:52 PM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 04, 2014, 11:32:03 AM

Good points Mike.. I will be getting some solid belts.......... Any suggestion on a brand? I was thinking of the reproduction ones, but man... $75 for one belt?

Bando brand

hemi68charger

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 04, 2014, 04:21:50 PM

Bando brand
[/quote]

Just emailed the distributor to find a regional store....... Thanks guys.......
Troy

hemi68charger

OK, this isn't directly related to the hemi transplant, but it is something I'm doing to make the "little things" of my Daytona even better. The rear tail lamp panel has always rubbed me the wrong way. It was painted back when the car was restored in 1994. Back then, there wasn't the emphasis to make things as "correct" as possible. Hence, the rear panel was painted black, as it should have been, but not the proper textured organisol...... So, I bought a can from Totally Auto thinking I could do it myself. After all, it isn't a big panel like a door or quarter. The first can I bought was defective, so Totally Auto stepped up and is sending me another. So, in the meantime, I disassembled what I should, scuffed and sanded the panel and masked it off.... So, now I'll get some good primer and apply. I have found the Dupli-Color Engine Primer lays down real well.... Man, that taillamp panel is so nice......... The more I dig, the more I find the sheetmetal on my car is so so so nice.......
Troy