News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Project 37

Started by Cooter, November 12, 2013, 08:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Cooter on November 21, 2013, 01:00:50 PM
Well, seeing as the original cab has no inner bracing to mount my A body pedals to, I'm thinking full on roll cage.
Plus, just because it gets hairy to drive doesn't mean the truck is 'unsafe'...the driver might be, but that's another discussion.

A full cage.....seems a great idea :2thumbs: There's not much of anything to that cab......

Last thing I want is 22 airbags, traction control, and the dam thing parks itself. Doesn't mean I don't want a roll cage to provide some protection. And I like hairy.....

rt green

it does look like a fun project. you have one thing a lot don't, space to do it in.
third string oil changer

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: ws23rt on November 21, 2013, 08:06:48 PM
Quote from: Cooter on November 21, 2013, 01:00:50 PM
Well, seeing as the original cab has no inner brscing to mount my A hody pedals to, I'm thinking full on roll cage.
Plus, just because it gets hairy to drive doesn't mean the truck is 'unsafe'...the driver might be, but that's another discussion.

Your comment about safety perked my ears up. :2thumbs:

We tend to forget that what gets us into trouble with an idea of something fun is the driver not knowing (or forgetting) their limits.

Top fuel drivers know they are driving an explosion but some back yard builders can lose track of practical safety.

I'm talking to myself as well as commenting.  Looking forward to driving my hemi bike :lol:

Good points. :2thumbs:

Hemi bike.....suggest you NEVER forget the limits on something like that. :D

Practical safety........excellent term. Hope you do not mind, I'd like to use that term in the future......because it perfectly sums up my thoughts on car safety. :yesnod: 

Cooter

Quote from: rt green on November 23, 2013, 10:47:43 AM
it does look like a fun project. you have one thing a lot don't, space to do it in.
Thanks to the big bossman.....without use of shop during winter, I'd be 3months dead time.(btw my 'space' is about 12'X12')...
However, I don't know how he's gonna react to a busted turd being rolled outside for every customer to ask " WTF is that pos?"...

So, I'll most likely be assembling this junk in the back yard..but that's ok. I've done it before...no biggie.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

JB400

You're getting there, one piece at a time. :2thumbs:

Cooter

Funny, almost everything is Chevy except running gear...

JB400

At least Chevy's are good for something :lol:

Ghoste

And everything still well in budget right?

Cooter

At this time. However, I have discovered in order to be on budget, EVERYTHING must be hand fabbed.
This adds time to build, but it keeps my mind off my Challenger sitting without paint.

Ghoste

Is there a time limit in this contest as well?

Cooter

No. Afterall, only the ones with money could afford to pay someone to build it for them while they were at work if it were. No, I just thought it was cool that they give props to the ones that build under a certain amount. You guys know there are some that spend HUGE money just to look as if they didn't.
If I don't make it under $3K, I'll be happy. I won't spend huge bucks on this turd because it will have that look of no money because I have none.

Got the Front Forward mounted leaf spring (I only got one with the straight axle), Shortened and ready to mount transverse I think. just gotta make the shackle mounts. Very time consuming, but this is all I have left and the entire front end will be ready to set up on the Toyota Frame. Rear end is a no brainer.
Then, it's onto the Steering box So I can steer this thing. I REALLY wanna get started on making the Zoomies, but I guess that'll have to wait.

This is "loosely" what It should look like less the skinny wheels/tires in back.

Cooter

Need to post the pic, but got the transverse spring mounted. Gettin closer.

JB400

Ghoste

Thats pretty cool Cooter.  Are there any unique headaches aligning the front end with that setup?

dyslexic teddybear

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

REALLY curious about how this goes together :scratchchin:

Details, Mr Cooter, details please.

To me, the front end would be the place I would worry the most about getting right. :yesnod: And the place I've seen some scary setups :scared:

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on November 29, 2013, 01:06:09 PM
Thats pretty cool Cooter.  Are there any unique headaches aligning the front end with that setup?
Well, as I too am new to the suicide front ends, I make everything I fabricate easy to work on.
Meaning, this is why I went with the Toyota tie rod ends instead of the original, REBUILDABLE steering linkages. Talk about scary looking.
I assume that as long as the front spring supports the 440, my 'hairpins' (radius arms, or strut rods to you Mopar guys) are straight, alignment should be as easy as any straight axle vehicle. Afterall, you don't have to worry bout camber/caster settings. Just toe.
I will be running a panhard bar though.

Cooter

Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on November 29, 2013, 01:11:36 PM

To me, the front end would be the place I would worry the most about getting right. :yesnod: And the place I've seen some scary setups :scared:
Not to worry. I have A LOT of time in designing this $1600.00 new, front end I built for around $300.00.
Scary set up? Well, some here look at some body/frame repairs as hacked when I feel while not pretty, it works and is safe.
Some folks will never see homemade as anything but unsafe junk. Some feel that if they didn't buy it in kit form, it can't be 'right'.
The guys call these types 'blisterpack hot rodders'.
Even in 'kit' form, somebody, somewhere had to dream it up, design it, and fab it up.

Cooter

This was a kit dude bought from Speedway Motors.
His spring is in the rear. Mine is on top of axle. Both doth the same thing, I just have to adjust the height of the mount to adjust ride height.

cudaken

While Rat Rods are not my thing, and not trying to make it pretty goes against my grain and feeling you are slightly insane. :scratchchin: I like it!

You are going to polish the tunnel ram right?  :D

Cuda Ken
I am back

Cooter

Quote from: cudaken on November 29, 2013, 10:30:58 PM

While Rat Rods are not my thing, and not trying to make it pretty goes against my grain and feeling you are slightly insane. :scratchchin: I like it!

You are going to polish the tunnel ram right?  :D

Cuda Ken

No 'Chromey' looks to this one. All black. First 440 I've EVER painted that wasn't orange/turq. All sinister Black.

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Cooter on November 29, 2013, 10:01:40 PM
Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on November 29, 2013, 01:11:36 PM

Not to worry. I have A LOT of time in designing this $1600.00 new, front end I built for around $300.00.
Scary set up? Well, some here look at some body/frame repairs as hacked when I feel while not pretty, it works and is safe.
Some folks will never see homemade as anything but unsafe junk. Some feel that if they didn't buy it in kit form, it can't be 'right'.
The guys call these types 'blisterpack hot rodders'.
Even in 'kit' form, somebody, somewhere had to dream it up, design it, and fab it up.

Some of the  :scared: stuff indeed has been hacked together bubblegum welded junk.

But some of it, is the "kit" stuff. The more numerous examples I've seen is in "lifted" trucks. Just because the person selling you the kit says it will work, doesn't mean it will.

I'm very interested in the details, as I consider the front end THE most critical of systems. Surpassing brakes.....if you can't steer it, brakes are not going to do you much good. Not at all against homemade. I'll gladly take homemade that works/safe over a "one size fits all" kit with a company name on it.

So when I ask,[intending politely] I'm really interested in how you do this. Very familiar with staight axle front, but know nothing about a transverse spring front. Thus interesting. Who knows, maybe something I will do in the future.

JB400

Looks like you're having fun :2thumbs:  How much more engineering do you have to do till you have a rolling chassis? :popcrn:

dyslexic teddybear

OK......checked out the bottom pic.

I get the idea......

My youngest son and I have kicked around the idea of 6BT power....... No way that bottom pic would handle the weight of a Cummins. But yours just might. I know a diesel is kinda out of the box, but I also know how relatively  easy it is to tune up a P-pump to 7-800 torque, and "race" fuel is available anywhere diesel is sold. :yesnod: So there is some advantages to offset the weight. :icon_smile_big:

Maybe my comments make more sense when you understand what I am thinking. :scratchchin:

Cooter

Actually, Diesels have become the "LS" swaps of the Rat Scene. Way over done. only reason you don't see any more of them is the cost to build. Way too much for way too little savings on fuel.