News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel delivery teach me! home made setups ? or OEM?

Started by sgt72charger, November 05, 2013, 04:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgt72charger

72 charger 440 /727

starting from scratch my original tank is rusty on the inside thinking of making a fuel cell i understand the need for a sump and baffles.. or should i just buy a new replacment?

I am also assuming a need a fuel sending unit if i stick to oem.
what lines does every one recomend ? AN or basic rubber or steel braided ?

im looking to do this all my self the car was brought down to bare shell and media blasted

looking for a complete set up and opinions
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

b5blue

I'd replace with all factory reproduction for your year model and setup.  :2thumbs: Done the way Ma Mopar did it, safer and less hassle.

sgt72charger

what amount of power can the oem mechanical fuel pump support?

Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

cudaken

Fuel line sizes is the biggest factor. A 426 Hemi fuel pump will fit a 383 or 440 so 450 HP range if it has a 5/16th (think that is the correct sizes) line. Carter or Holley mechanical pump, 500 HP?  :scratchchin: It is more volume than pressure.

Why a fuel cell? :shruggy: I bought stock type tanks for my 68 Road Runner and my 69 Charger of E Bay for around $250.00 each.

On the 69 Charger, we added a fuel slump and 1/2 lines and a Holley Blue pump.

Cuda Ken 
I am back

Dino

I would also use all stock equipment as there really is nothing wrong with it.  You can get a high flow mechanical fuel pump that looks like the stock one if you need it.  Which brings me to the following:  what are the plans for the car?  Street?  Strip?  Bit of both?  Tire roasting monster that won't idle to save its life?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

sgt72charger

Quote from: Dino on November 06, 2013, 01:28:00 PM
I would also use all stock equipment as there really is nothing wrong with it.  You can get a high flow mechanical fuel pump that looks like the stock one if you need it.  Which brings me to the following:  what are the plans for the car?  Street?  Strip?  Bit of both?  Tire roasting monster that won't idle to save its life?

my plans are for a track toy that I can drive to the local strip and eventually tub the rear out hense the thought of the fuel cell, but like most Americans i live on a budget and taking my project one step at a time.

my motor is a 500 stroker 440. with a mild cam and steath heads. like i said i am starting from scratch so it sounds like oem lines and tank it is! well to get thing moving on its own..
so are we talking go to the local vatozone and pick up generic hard lines and bend them and route my self or is there a beter route?
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

Dino

I think the stock setup will work absolutely fine for your needs.  If ever you tub the car then it's not that big of a deal to replace the stock tank for a fuel cell with electric pump.  IF it is ever needed.

You can buy pre bent lines from several places.  I bought my 2nd gen lines from The Right Stuff and they needed a bit of tweaking but nothing too major.  You could just bend your own as well, I chose not to but several members here have done just that. 

I would definitely run a return line as well.  Heck you can even hook up a vapor separator in the back like it came from the factory. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

maxwellwedge

Yes - And go 3/8" minimum (standard Hemi stuff) on the main line.
ake sure you get a 3/8" sender to avoid any restrictions at the tank end.

Cooter

I gotta buddy with a 418 stroker in a Valiant running 5/16" line and a $32.00 mechanical fuel pump.
Runs 7.15 8th mile....you don't NEED all the trick stuff, but is a good idea for peace of mind...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

myk

Yup-just say NO to electric fuel pumps or otherwise complicating the system if you don't have a need for that sort of setup.  Can't you just buy pre-bent, OEM style fuel lines from a vendor?  I'd keep this area of the car original because it should keep things easier and possibly cheaper for you.  I'd definitely buy a NEW tank though-don't bother trying to clean the one you have...

el dub

Have your tank boiled out in a radiator shop. Its cheaper and works.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

sgt72charger

Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

sgt72charger

also does any one have any good pictures of how they routed there fuel line in the engine bay not sure how its routed
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|