News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Scarebird front brake conv. Brackets. Any input?

Started by Charger-Bodie, November 02, 2013, 09:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

These look like a good deal. Are they? Any input would be appreciated.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

RIDGERACER383

I thought about getting them,but they look a little thin for me.For about the same price you can get 1976 duster spindles and brackets.But you may run into a front sway bar issue.But I have read good stuff about Scarebird.
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

MSRacing89

The kit uses all readily available and good parts.  Nothing wrong with their set-up for everyday driving.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

ramairthree

I used them on a '71 Javelin.

The options on the Javelin were:
Keep drums at all 4 wheels- nope
Get all original AMC parts- hard to find, expensive,
Go scarebird- less expensive, easy to find
Willwood kit- expensive, best performance

It would have cost say 1000$ Wilwood vs. 500$ Scarebird.

Looking back, I should have just gotten the more expensive kit for the better performance.

That is because, the AMC kit has you get Toyota Previa and Ford Ranger parts that would fit on original 14 inch wheels, etc.  But- let's just say that I cannot find performance versions of those pads, rotors, etc.

On the Mopar version, I think you start with bigger rotors and need at least 15 inch wheels, I think they are Mustang rotors, so you can get a selection of performance ones, and also the calipers are from a bigger truck, so should be better pads available.  So, MAYBE the Mopar version is a better upgrade than the AMC version.

It is a great kit for everyday driving, and better than the drums, but not up for getting beaten like a red-headed step-child.
Maybe the Mopar one is.

The Wilwood definitely is,
and if you won the car another 20 years or more, the 500$ difference just goes away.

For comparison,
to do the Scarebird conversion,

it does come out less money

For either the APD kit, Galvins Wilwood kit, or Scarebird, I need the disc MC, maybe booster, brake fluid, hoses, etc. so not counting those costs.

Scarebird brackets 105

Scarebird hubs 135

1990 Chevy Celebrity calipers with pads and hardware RC4234/RC4233)- 110$

wheel seals NOS16743- 30$

inner bearing A6 (94 Ranger RWD) 22$

outer bearing (94 Ranger RWD) 28$

caps (94 Ranger RWD) 13$

Rotors (94 Toytoa Previa F disc/R drum) 96174- 65$

so about 600$ compared to the 900$ish kits.

APD- pro- stock, con- replacement and maintenance sourcing, costs

Galvins (wildwood kit with AMC disc spindles)- pro- performance, con- maintainence costs

Scarbird pro- about 400$ less total cost, inexpensive replacement and maintenance, con- not stock, not performance