News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions about my VIN tag.

Started by Syreal_70, October 29, 2013, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUFCAT

The owner had SECURITY protecting his car all day :coocoo:  Protect it from what?  There was no engine, trans, interior, or exterior trim on the car. It was a rolling shell!  :badidea:

It was absolutely unnecessary.  I've never seen marked security standing by any vehicle in my history of attending Carlisle! :smilie_help:

In my opinion, its extremely arrogant to hire private security to protect an unfinished shell...especially considering there were multitudes of $100,000-$150,000 automobiles all over the place.

More than likely it was a friend or someone else dressed up as "security" for his twisted publicity stunt. You guys already know my opinion about the car, and there was no new information at all.

resq302

That just adds to the skepticism about the car.  Why would someone hire a "security guard" to stand watch over a car like this.  What are they protecting?  Like you said, there are a lot more cars worth way more money on the field than this unfinished car.  Was it to prevent someone from getting a closer look at it?  Was it to protect the owner from someone engaging in a conversation about it being fraudulently publicized as something it really wasn't?  Certainly makes one wonder.   :scratchchin:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

HANDM

Quote from: Davtona on July 13, 2014, 06:01:56 PM
Quote from: familymopar on July 13, 2014, 05:31:27 PM

It is strange to me that the (presumably) typo on the vin tag is consistent with the stamping on the radiator support and the trunk lip, all showing a V code,

I'm not following you here. Are you saying the V is stamped in the radiator support and trunk lip number?

Mahap that's the reason for the "security", the Owner didn't want any members investigating the fraudulent claims.

Speaking of the aged door sticker, what are they going to do when the car is finished, ask ECS for a new one?

resq302

Quote from: HANDM on July 13, 2014, 07:58:19 PM
Mahap that's the reason for the "security", the Owner didn't want any members investigating the fraudulent claims.

Speaking of the aged door sticker, what are they going to do when the car is finished, ask ECS for a new one?

If I were Dave, I would tell the person "Sorry, I already made one up for that car!  Surely you can't have the same car as the one you have you claim is the "original" one on the car!"   :smilielol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

TUFCAT

:RantExplode:
Quote from: Homerr on July 13, 2014, 05:05:45 PM
This car should be restored as a 440-4bbl, ditch the door VIN tag and have ECS make a proper one, and be known as the 'typo' car.  Instead it will have bad blood associated with it as long as they keep trying to make it something it's not.
:iagree:

By the way, The inspection report from Dave Wise was present in a folder. It was sitting on the cowl (near the vin area). So I picked up the book began flipping to the inspection report. I quickly read through the report before the "security person" told me to put the book down....(why it was there I don't know, as it was obviously not for public consumption)

From what I read, (and the report was many pages long) there was absolutely no finalized opinion, except to verify what documentation was present, what was missing , and what items would be required to validate the car such as window sticker, dealer shipper, broadcast sheet, documented owner history, original photo's etc.

Since most of the required items to validate the car were notably missing, the final conclusion (as I fast-forwarded to the last page in super stealth-like mode) was that this car COULD NOT BE VERIFIED as an actual V-code 440 six barrel vehicle built by Chrysler Corporation.

With regard to the door vin decal the report did not provide any long wordy opinionated essay about if it was real or not, but simply report that it "appeared" to be original. I saw a checkbox style chart that checked it off as being there. Something to the effect of original doorjamb decal, - check.

I challenge the current owner to publish this complete inspection report.  Its was obvious he didn't want peons like me to see it!  :D

Moparpoolman

The biggest problem is that 90% of the people looking at that Charger don't know about this thread.  It would of been real interesting to see a display from someone else set up next to the car display with a laptop plugged in to a large monitor so everyone that found interest in this car could read this thread.... But then you would need to hire security too
  I feel sorry for the guy that is going to get conned into buying this car in the future, he'll find himself  :brickwall:

resq302

And that is why we have threads like this.  Hopefully the owner will do their homework before purchasing a car like this.  I know I did all kinds of homework reading up on second gen chargers before I went and started looking.  Hopefully if anyone has the full VIN (if its not posted here already in all of the prev. pages), it is posted here in its entirety so if someone does a google search for the VIN to find history, maybe, just maybe, they could prevent getting burned.   :cheers:
Brian

A12 Superbee

Private security! That's laughable!!!

If they're anything like ours over here, toothless tigers! I would have whipped out my camera and photographed every page in the report as I could until he waltzed over and told me to stop, so i could keep going until he snatched it from my hands. I have no doubt he was there to stop people opening the door to look at the vin decal or see the fender tag.

If you really want to see the right thing get done when you know this car is restored and on the market, run an Ebay ad using all the pics of it you can find, list it for a million dollars and call it what it is, the 'Typo car dressed up to look like a V code fake', word will get around pretty quick to anyone in the market, eventually the entire known world will be aware of its history and he'll have to revert it back to what it really is, a U code car with a typo fender tag, a nice car but not a 1 of 1 freak special!
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

resq302

certainly an interesting way to do it.  Probably be a great way to spread the word too as it will most likely get a lot of attention.
Brian

Ghoste

Security huh?  Well it looks to pretty obvious he intends to keep the deception going.  Any bets as to how soon it shows up at auction?  (because the lie isn't being fortified to boost his personal ego)

Old Moparz

I walked past the car & thought that the body & paint looked nice but I was more interested in getting a strawberry smoothie & never stopped.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

TUFCAT

Lots of lime green eye candy....you didn't miss anything Bob.

resq302

Bob,

Maybe you could have bribed the security guard with the strawberry smoothie and then gotten a closer look at the car.    :lol: :lol:
Brian

Troy

They also parked the car in one of the garages on site over night (with "security" walking it to the garage). Funny, when it was in there no one was around and they left the garage door wide open. Er, um, so I heard...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TUFCAT

I'm still wondering what the hell they're "protecting" it from?  :image_294343:  The truth? :D

Ghoste

resq302

I still say the security was there to prevent the owner from getting beat up with questions pertaining to the cars authenticity.   :smilielol:  Someone starts asking too many or the wrong questions, he calls security to bounce them!  At that point, why bother even bringing the car other than to create speculation and hype over the car.   :shruggy:
Brian

StoneCold

Quote from: resq302 on July 13, 2014, 08:32:17 PM
And that is why we have threads like this.  Hopefully the owner will do their homework before purchasing a car like this.  I know I did all kinds of homework reading up on second gen chargers before I went and started looking.  Hopefully if anyone has the full VIN (if its not posted here already in all of the prev. pages), it is posted here in its entirety so if someone does a google search for the VIN to find history, maybe, just maybe, they could prevent getting burned.   :cheers:

Yep..googling XS29V0G186075 does bring up this thread  :yesnod:

resq302

All that needs to be done now is to hopefully have whoever goes to purchase this car reads all of this first before getting taken for their hard earned money.
Brian

hemi-hampton

I wonder if new owner that has it now got taken for his hard earned money. Maybe thats why he wants to keep the sharade going, to recoup what he lost. :shruggy: :scratchchin:

TUFCAT

...or he's a publicity whore. :shruggy: :D

resq302

could be yes to all of the above.   :D
Brian

dual fours

Has anybody here looked in to " Liability for Misrepresentation When Selling a vehicle"?
This could be a very good investment in the future for someone not letting on they know about the cars history and not being told about the history by the seller, if buyer is told everything then he just walks away.
For example, the new buyer lays out lets say what ever this car is going for at that time, then starts looking around and finds all this knowledge on this car :o, then he calls a Attorney and then the legal battle starts. Yes there are people that look for this kind of business.
I wonder how much they will make off the deal? The buyer recoups his investment $, plus hardship $ and Attorney fees etc.
I'm thinking to much aren't I?   :slap:
Oh, A12 Superbee, the fender tag was not on the car, and very thick paint on the trunk lip edge, yep the door was shut also.
But I saw something :scope: that I will try to remember that may stay with the car, you know something like a birthmark.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

bill440rt

I gave it a look-over as well. Walked past the car many times.
I saw some things I liked, and some other things I didn't like.
And the driver's door was open many times.
And I'll leave it at that.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Ghoste on July 14, 2014, 07:42:08 AM
Security huh?  Well it looks to pretty obvious he intends to keep the deception going.  Any bets as to how soon it shows up at auction?  (because the lie isn't being fortified to boost his personal ego)

Having met the owner on a few occasions (he's a very good friend, of my very good friend), I have never found him to have a big ego  :Twocents: He's got some really nice cars though, and a lot of super rare stuff.

As for the security, it was a guy sitting in a chair, who was presumably there to keep people from climbing in and out of the car. I probably would've done the same, given how some behave at car shows, licking over stuff that isn't theirs  :yes nod: 

Again, just my  :Twocents: