News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is this for??

Started by Canadian1968, October 27, 2013, 08:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

I am in the process of cleaning up my rear axle.  This is the distribution block for the brake lines thats mouted on the driver side/ top of the axle.

My question is, what is the purpose of the threaded piece that holds it to the axle.  From what I can see it is hollow with a cap on it, that I can spin freely.  Why would they not just use a regular bolt??

hawkeye

It is a breather for the rear end.  It allows for air movement in and out of the rear end as it heats or cools.

green69rt

Yes, it prevents pressure build up in the axle case so lube doesn't get pushed into the axle bearing.

Canadian1968

Always count on this board for anything and everything!!

Thanks !

six-tee-nine

They werent that stupid huh these engineers. One hole, one hollow bolt and 2 things sorted, A : the breather for the axle housing, B : the fixation of the distribution block
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

polywideblock

wasn't the slogan "excellence in engineering"

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Dino

I'll have to check mine but I'm pretty sure it does  not have that!  I think my distribution block is bolted to the axle with a plain bolt.  Anyone got pics of it installed? 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bull

Dino

Thanks Bull!   :2thumbs:

This is what mine looks like after I removed a few decades of grime.  I seem to have a small leak there so I guess the best thing to do is to replace the whole unit.

How are you liking those Edelbrock IAS shocks?  I have the classic version of those and am anxious to see how it rides.

sanders7981

I was going to post a similar thread yesterday about the same bolt!  This board is awesome!!  It's great to know others are out there to help each other out when needed.

mgmidget

That is the differential vent. The brass piece is the brake line Y.

bull

Quote from: Dino on November 17, 2013, 10:17:29 AM

How are you liking those Edelbrock IAS shocks?  I have the classic version of those and am anxious to see how it rides.

They seem pretty good to me. The whole suspension is really stiff because everything is new but I have no complaints about the shocks. I've got IAS in the front too. I'm under the impression they don't make them anymore because I was looking for them online to show someone but I couldn't find them anywhere. :shruggy:

Dino

Quote from: bull on November 17, 2013, 04:11:46 PM
Quote from: Dino on November 17, 2013, 10:17:29 AM

How are you liking those Edelbrock IAS shocks?  I have the classic version of those and am anxious to see how it rides.

They seem pretty good to me. The whole suspension is really stiff because everything is new but I have no complaints about the shocks. I've got IAS in the front too. I'm under the impression they don't make them anymore because I was looking for them online to show someone but I couldn't find them anywhere. :shruggy:

Correct, they have been discontinued.  I had bought the rears already when I heard they were being discontinued so I quickly bought the fronts as well.