News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Distributor recommendations? MSD? Firecore?

Started by Calif240, October 25, 2013, 01:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calif240

I've got an MSD 6AL box and getting my 440 assembled to drop in. I've been reading a few things about distributors and wanted to ask you guys for recommendations. The engine will be a little south of 500HP. I've already got the 6AL, Coil, and MSD wires from the previous motor and all worked well. However, heard that the MSD distributors for 440's sometimes have issues with fitting and there are some better setups. What is the best performance setup for a street 440 with high HP?

THanks,
Terry
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

myk

I'm running the 6AL, MSD coil and wires, but for the 'dizzy I don't have anything fancy, just the unit that came in the Mopar Performance electronic ignition conversion kit.  I've been running this combination for 20 years and I'm satisfied with it; that, or I just don't know any better...

More importantly, HOW'S THE REPAIR WORK COMING ALONG????

firefighter3931

The MSD pro-billet is a nice distributor but there are a couple of things that can complicate the installation. The physical size (diameter) will require some grinding depending on that heads/valvecovers are being used. The other issue is the adjustability of the mechanical advance assembly. MSD uses a bushing to limit mechanical advance and there are only 4 of them that are available. If you want to fine tune your ignition curve you are limited to one of four possible mechanical advance choices.

The FireCore mechanical billet distributor is physically smaller in diameter vs the MSD unit so it fits with any head/valvecover combination. It's sized identical to a factory distributor and will accept a stock distributor cap or you can order with a male HEI terminal if that is your preferance. The advance mechanism uses Mallory parts so it's infinately adjustable and much more versatile. The Firecore distributor is almost $100 cheaper vs the MSD pro-billet and is excellent value for the money.  :2thumbs:

A local engine builder just got back from the PHR Engine masters competition and did quite well. We hooked him up with a Firecore distributor and wires. Despite MSD being a sponser for the event he still used the Firecore product so that should tell you something. He told me that he was very impressed and several engine builders were asking about the FireCore stuff. FWIW, that engine made 750+HP on pump gas. I believe that there's going to be a feature article on that build sometime in the near future.   :coolgleamA:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Calif240

Great, Ron and Myk... Thanks.

As far as the Firecore, do you run it with an ignition box? Where do you order? I can't find them on summit or similar. Do you recommend getting the Firecore dist, coil, and wires as a set?

Thanks!
Terry
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

Dino

I'll have my Firecore RTR system soon!  Woohoo!   :boogie:

Pm Ron for more info on Firecore.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

John L

I got my Firecore RTR unit through Ron. I'm very happy with the unit and it's ease of installation and set up. Also glad to be rid of the control box and ballast.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Calif240 on October 25, 2013, 02:12:07 PM
Great, Ron and Myk... Thanks.

As far as the Firecore, do you run it with an ignition box? Where do you order? I can't find them on summit or similar. Do you recommend getting the Firecore dist, coil, and wires as a set?

Thanks!
Terry

Hi Terry, if you'd like to order just send me a pm  ;)

If your MSD wires are in good shape you can re-use them. That's what we did for Marc when he switched over from the Pertronix....his MSD wires were brand new and checked out good so i suggested that he re-use them rather than buy another set of wires that he didn't really need. Just run an OHM test and if they have under 250ohm/ft and the boots aren't cracked/split...you are good to go.

The Billet Mechanical distributor would be a good choice for your needs. It works fine with an MSD box and MSD coil.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

heyoldguy

Customer sent me a Procomp distributor to use in the build of his 493. Had a Firecore in a box when he came to see the engine run on the dyno. Made a pull with the Procomp and then pulled the Firecore from the box and said, "Look at this distributor, we're going to make a pull with it." Finished the pull and he took out his wallet and says, "How much!"

70-500-SE-EXPORT

I bought the ready to run firecore distributor from Ron and couldn't be happier with it. It cured all all the timing issues I was having and my 383 has never run so well and made so much power. The build quality of the firecore distributor and wires is incredible (compared to my previous msd wires and junk pertronix 3 distributor) which I had many problems with. I highly recommend the ready to run and the firecore 50 wires. Ron was also great to deal with he helped me finally get my motor running right!
68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp

myk

Hmmm....now you guys have me thinking.  So how much is this Firecore deal anyway?  Are there any subtleties about its installation or operation I need to know about?

Dino

Quote from: myk on October 27, 2013, 10:57:00 PM
Hmmm....now you guys have me thinking.  So how much is this Firecore deal anyway?  Are there any subtleties about its installation or operation I need to know about?

Myk,

PM Ron, he can set you up with the kit and the prices are right.   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

myk

Without betraying the secrets of the divine brotherhood, just what makes this Firecore dizzy that much better than the others? 

Bob T

Without trying to rain on the Firecore parade, which is top end equipment too, I've had a great result over the weekend with a new accel dizzy and coil and Rev n Nator, fairly impressed with it too.
Realistically, I would have been leaning towards a Firecore setup after reading all the positive feedback on DC, but the Rev n Nator package ended up being just two streets away and available right now.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

myk

John L

Quote from: myk on October 28, 2013, 07:31:58 PM
Without betraying the secrets of the divine brotherhood, just what makes this Firecore dizzy that much better than the others? 
Myk,
No betrayal here, just a good solid piece in my opinion. I have no experience with any other units but for a non mechanic the installation was easy and so was the set up. Cars running great and I'm happy, I also felt the price was more than fair and the ballast and control box are now gone cleaning up the firewall a bit.

John

1974dodgecharger

sounds like a easy install to me?  Almost plug and play based on what folks are saying....I like plug and play.

myk

Quote from: John L on October 28, 2013, 08:31:53 PM
Myk,
No betrayal here, just a good solid piece in my opinion. I have no experience with any other units but for a non mechanic the installation was easy and so was the set up. Cars running great and I'm happy, I also felt the price was more than fair and the ballast and control box are now gone cleaning up the firewall a bit.

John

I see.  Well, with the MSD the ballast and control box are already gone.  I'm guessing the Firecore 'dizzy itself is where I could benefit from?

tracpack440

I bought the firecore dist, coil, and wires from Ron. I use  a MSD 6al unit. works great easy hook up.  Fast shipping with great service.  :2thumbs:
1969 Charger  R/T SE 4 spd dana

firefighter3931

No real secrets Myk ; It's just a better version of the original built to tighter tolerances and higher standards. Oh, it's a whole lot more pretty than the original as well  :lol:

Ron

oldkimmer

...........Do these fire cores come without the vac adv............kim.....
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

firefighter3931

Quote from: oldkimmer on November 10, 2013, 10:47:16 AM
...........Do these fire cores come without the vac adv............kim.....

Yep, the Firecore billet mechanical distributor that has no vacuum cannister.  :yesnod:

Ron