News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

completely frustrated and pulling out my hair

Started by jdscofield, October 22, 2013, 03:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdscofield

Still having some issues.  I pulled the instrument cluster out expecting to see some burn marks.....nothing.  I changed the headlight switch hoping it would resolve my no parking, tail, and dash lights.  It didn't work, I still only have headlights and brake lights.  I inspected the wiring on the gauges, everything looks in order.  I tested for power to the dash lights and the gauges...no power.  fuses are not blown and I did not see any broken grounds or other wires.  Any advice would be very very greatful
MOPAR or no car

tsmithae

Check your turn signal switch, very common issue with symptoms just like yours for the taillights. As for the dash lights, sounds like a dimmer switch to me There is a workaround (http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=2721.0) or some guys have had luck cleaning the corrosion from the contact and resistor windings.  :2thumbs:
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

jdscofield

I should have mentioned I have a 74 charger se with the rally dash.  the switch I just replaced has the dimmer, dash, and headlights all in one
MOPAR or no car

Pete in NH

HI,

Use your voltmeter tester to see if you have power on both sides of the fuses. Then use the wiring diagrams if you have them to track along the circuits to see whee the power is and isn't. I'm not sure about the rally dashes but most all Mopar dash printed circuit boards of the period had a round 8 pin or so connector with male pins on the Printed circuit board. Those pins have been known to have broken solder connections to the printed circuit board traces.

Dino

I just removed my circuit board from the 69 and although it looked fine and all contacts were tight, half of the darn thing didn't work!  I cleaned it up and soldered the pins anyway and now all is well.

Also check the rheostat portion of the switch, when that goes you lose a few things. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

jdscofield

UPDATE:

Traced out the problem with the parking lights and tail lights.  I discovered two aftermarket in-line fuses tucked behind the fuse block.  One was blown.  Replaced the fuse and lights returned.  need to check dash lights when the sun goes down.  I'm hoping they work.  Now only if I can figure out whats up with the gauges.  going to replace the voltage limiter next.  Hopefully that will solve it and the gauges aren't blown.  Any tips are always appreciated.
MOPAR or no car