News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

gas neck and tank question

Started by tom-cat, October 16, 2013, 09:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom-cat

ok so i got this charger in mid stride of someone putting it back together and i started with the wireharness but in the mean time i was going to put the new tank in and im woundering what im missing if anything.
1 put in the sending unit into the tank
2put the matt in between the tank and the trunk lid
3 install the tank with the two straps
4install the grommet onto the tank for the neck to slide threw
5attach the neck to the inside of the quarter with gasket in between neck and quarter
6fasten down from the top??with cap or is it screws   not sure
also run vent lines :brickwall:
ive seen the other threads but again i didnt take it off and not real sure if i got this right

bakerhillpins

Do you have an FSM?  They can be picked up in paper or digital form for around $60. Might make your life a lot simpler in the long run if you bought the car in boxes. I think this is the correct instruction set.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

tom-cat

yes i have one just wanted to see a bit more detailed instuctions then what it has.i was lookikngfor a repair manual as far as chilton/or haynes but i didnt see one . are they out there and im just not looking in the right spot?

myk

Skip the Jaynes and Chiltons manuals.  What you need to do is buy a 'repro of the original shop manual or get in on 'cd; I found both on ebay and they should still be readily available...

Dino

What you said seems to be right OP.  Not much to it and nothing you can do wrong really.  If the seals are good and the bolts fit, you've got it. 

Sending unit can be removed and installed with the tank in place also but it's a bit trickier.  The mat between tank and trunk floor is supposedly one of the reasons the trunk pan gets reduced to cookie crumbles in no time flat, so hopefully that is either not true or the repro's are made of a different material.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

tom-cat

cool thanks guys im feeling better about it now and should go together smoothly,if i ever get a dam day off. freakin shift work :rofl:

tom-cat

Sorry guys it's been awhile I got the neck, cap and tank in with no problems
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 .HelveticaNeueInterface-M3;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red56\green138\blue201;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\sl2400\qc\partightenfactor0
{\field{\*\fldinst{HYPERLINK "http://s918.photobucket.com/user/thomasperrard/media/image_zps382c79f6.jpg.html?sort=2&o=30"}}{\fldrslt
\f0\fs26 \cf2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 \
}}}

Lord Warlock

Any hints on what the best way to install the tank singlehandedly?  Have mine positioned, filler tube hole looks lined up, J bolts aren't reaching though, so I may have to unbolt the j bolts completely to fit them into the slot then find the end of the strap to tighten with.  Is there a trick to this, or just the normal laying on concrete with half extended arms routine?
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

tom-cat

Unfortunately I had to undo the h bolts all the wAy and just had to manhandle that rascal in there but I did do it by myself. Once you do get the j bolt to catch don't tighten it up until you look at the tank to make sure it's straight, good luck.