News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new 69 ,first problem,painless harness

Started by tom-cat, October 12, 2013, 06:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom-cat

so i ran into a problem right off the start , the fire wall hole is not big enough for the new painless block. so with that said i think i need a stock block and just mount the painless block someplace else and run the new wires straight threw the old/stock block anyone else have a pic of theres and or sugestions

tom-cat

ok so im looking for the factory bulkhead connector i think thats what its called
:brickwall:

tom-cat

im thinking i  just need an old stock piece that i can run my new wires straight threw it ,,need some advice here :shruggy:

MaximRecoil

Quote from: tom-cat on October 12, 2013, 03:26:57 PM
im thinking i  just need an old stock piece that i can run my new wires straight threw it ,,need some advice here :shruggy:

If your new wiring harness doesn't have a factory-style bulkhead connector, then the easiest thing to do would be to make a plate out of sheet metal to fit over that rectangular hole in the firewall. Drill a hole in the center of the plate large enough for your bundle of wires to comfortably fit through, and use a grommet in that hole to protect the wires from chafing against the metal edge of the hole.

ACUDANUT

Can't you find a parts car and get the factory wiring back in ? :scratchchin:

tom-cat

Yes I could defiantly make a sheet metal bracket which might be the case and as far as old wire set up I'm wanting to go new as much as possible , I did find the bulkhead terminal new on eBay for around 140 buck but wow they are proud of those things , and that's only one side of the bulk head . Thanks for the advice guys.

myk

Quote from: MaximRecoil on October 12, 2013, 03:58:07 PM
Quote from: tom-cat on October 12, 2013, 03:26:57 PM
im thinking i  just need an old stock piece that i can run my new wires straight threw it ,,need some advice here :shruggy:

If your new wiring harness doesn't have a factory-style bulkhead connector, then the easiest thing to do would be to make a plate out of sheet metal to fit over that rectangular hole in the firewall. Drill a hole in the center of the plate large enough for your bundle of wires to comfortably fit through, and use a grommet in that hole to protect the wires from chafing against the metal edge of the hole.

That's how my car is set up.  The fuse block is mounted under the dash, like on a newer car, and the wires/feeds run through the firewall where the old bulkhead connectors used to be, except now they run through a metal plate with a grommet big enough to accomodate the wires.  Is it pretty?  Well, it's functional, and I'll never have to worry about those bulkhead connectors again...

MaximRecoil

Quote from: myk on October 13, 2013, 01:44:26 AM

That's how my car is set up.  The fuse block is mounted under the dash, like on a newer car, and the wires/feeds run through the firewall where the old bulkhead connectors used to be, except now they run through a metal plate with a grommet big enough to accomodate the wires.  Is it pretty?  Well, it's functional, and I'll never have to worry about those bulkhead connectors again...

My friend has a '70s Dodge pickup in which he replaced a 318 with a 440, and used a Painless wiring harness, and he did the plate/hole/grommet thing as well.

tom-cat

:cheers:thank you for the replys , im going to make it happen tonight i think if i clip the two knuckle off on top of the new fuse blockand file just a tad i can get it in there . if not im going to make a plate . pics coming tuesday night .

TexasStroker

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with...
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

tom-cat

well with a bit of elbow i got it in and it looks pretty good i guess. now to wire it up  :D

ACUDANUT

Quote from: MaximRecoil on October 13, 2013, 02:52:54 AM
Quote from: myk on October 13, 2013, 01:44:26 AM

My friend has a '70s Dodge pickup in which he replaced a 318 with a 440, and used a Painless wiring harness, and he did the plate/hole/grommet thing as well.

Nice, but he didn't have to rewire everything.  Making the coil wires longer, is all he really needed.  :Twocents:

69rtse4spd

Nice to know, keep us up to date on how the Painless works out for you.  :popcrn:.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ACUDANUT on October 15, 2013, 07:18:52 PM
Quote from: MaximRecoil on October 13, 2013, 02:52:54 AM

Nice, but he didn't have to rewire everything.  Making the coil wires longer, is all he really needed.  :Twocents:

He wanted all new wiring to go along with his new engine.

tom-cat

It came with the car and seemed like a good idea. ::)

K9COP

I've just rewired my car with a Rebel Wire harness. I'm actually pretty pleased with the quality/customer support side of things. A little more clarity in the instructions, would be nice, but all good I guess. One of the jobs I've left till last is the bulkhead/wiring interface. Maybe use all the spare bulkhead connectors I now have and cut a hole through the middle for the new loom, avoiding the plate /grommet setup, which I really don't mind, but would involve drilling more (screw) holes in the car....

K9
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)