News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Original Steering Wheel

Started by JMF, October 02, 2013, 01:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

I have this aftermarket(Grant I think) steering wheel(below) at the moment on my 68 and I want to put the original steering wheel back on, before I take the current one off can anyone tell me what screws/bolts I will need as I have just the original steering wheel alone, no bolts/screws etc, or can I use the ones that are holding the Grant one on ? If not where can I get the bolts and screws from ? Does the horn button just click in to place as well on the original steering wheel ? Thanks

Dino

You may be able to use what you have.  The original wheel uses the same nut so I think you'll be fine.  You may need a steering wheel puller for the Grant wheel.  Available at most auto parts stores and in the $20 range.  I almost rented one first time I looked for one and then decided just to buy it.  Glad I did because I have removed my steering wheel several times now.  Handy little tool.

This is what my column looks like without the wheel (on a 69), not much there but the switch and cam!

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ODZKing

The Grant wheel most likely has an adapter on the back as well.  Some of them do.
The original wheel as Dino stated just has a tooth spline with a notch at the top.  Line it up and the bolt tightening presses it down.
I got my puller from Harbour Freight ... and for amount I use it, it is just fine!!

JMF

Thanks, how about the horn button and also the horn trim thingy, do I need screws for them?

Dino

Quote from: JMF on October 02, 2013, 03:26:47 PM
Thanks, how about the horn button and also the horn trim thingy, do I need screws for them?

Is it's a wood grain wheel you'll need a bracket on there for the horn button.  It slides into the bracket with a short twist.  If it's any other wheel then I would have to guess.

JMF

Dino

Quote from: JMF on October 02, 2013, 04:08:15 PM
It's like this one

I thought it would be.  Unfortunately I have no idea how the semi horn ring attaches. 

ODZKing

Looks very similar to my 67 wheel.  The horn button simply twists off and under there are 3 screws that hold the horn ring to the switch. 
You'll see them, they're very obvious once you open it up.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Dino on October 02, 2013, 03:17:43 PM
You may be able to use what you have.  The original wheel uses the same nut so I think you'll be fine.  You may need a steering wheel puller for the Grant wheel.  Available at most auto parts stores and in the $20 range.  I almost rented one first time I looked for one and then decided just to buy it.  Glad I did because I have removed my steering wheel several times now.  Handy little tool.

This is what my column looks like without the wheel (on a 69), not much there but the switch and cam!

I pulled my Grant wheel off, plus the cap under the wheel, and I am left with what you have.

So, my questions, does the wood grained steering wheel then just go on that shaft w/ just the nut holding it in place on the spline?

Looks like the horn button covers the open part of the column. This is on a floor shift console car, fwiw.   Thanks!

Dino

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on October 07, 2013, 07:37:15 PM
Quote from: Dino on October 02, 2013, 03:17:43 PM

I pulled my Grant wheel off, plus the cap under the wheel, and I am left with what you have.

So, my questions, does the wood grained steering wheel then just go on that shaft w/ just the nut holding it in place on the spline?

Looks like the horn button covers the open part of the column. This is on a floor shift console car, fwiw.   Thanks!

Yes, the wheel slides onto the shaft and the one center nut keeps it there.  The wheel should have the little bracket installed to hold the horn cover.  Three Phillips screws if I recall.  The short copper rod on the back of the wheel operates the turn signal cancel cam.

JMF

Well it seems the previous owner has ruined the thread trying to get the aftermarket steering wheel on and now I can't get the original one back on properly, see below, that is how far it will go on, the bolt that holds it on is not going on far enough, what options do I have ? Thanks

Dino

JMF are you talking about the threads that accept the nut or the splined shaft itself?  Either can be repaired but do you happen to have any detail shots of the damage?

JMF

Managed to get it on ok but the only position it's going on properly means that the steering wheel is off centre when driving in a straight line, I guess I just need to get the tracking sorted do I ?

ODZKing

Quote from: JMF on October 11, 2013, 12:42:07 PM
Managed to get it on ok but the only position it's going on properly means that the steering wheel is off centre when driving in a straight line, I guess I just need to get the tracking sorted do I ?
If you have an allignment done, they should be able to correct it.

A383Wing

that steering wheel looks small for the column collar

ODZKing

Chrome horn ring will take up the space you're seeing.

JMF

This is how it currently looks when the wheels are straight

A383Wing

get it aligned, or file the large spline in the steering wheel and install it so wheel is straight

JMF

Thanks for the replies but isn't it a bit dangerous to start filing down the spline?

Dino

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't he simply undo the column at firewall and chuck, pull it toward him and put it back in the chuck with the wheel aligned?  Does that end of the shaft have a fixed spline as well? 

Alignment would still be the thing to do first though.

JB400

Does the coupler connect to the gear box only one way?  If not, I'd pull the column off of the gearbox, turn it 180, and then reconnect.  Then, with an alignment, I would think that it'd put the steering wheel the correct alignment.

It's been a while since I've had my column out.

A383Wing

Quote from: JMF on October 14, 2013, 12:43:47 PM
Thanks for the replies but isn't it a bit dangerous to start filing down the spline?

it's only one groove on the spline...just the bigger one to make it slip over the stub shaft...and yer only filing the steering wheel portion of the spline...you will see what you have to do when you get the steering wheel back off

coupler only goes on "one" way at the steering box

HeavyFuel

Tie rods out of adjustment......too much on one side, not enough on the other?

myk

Quote from: HeavyFuel on October 22, 2013, 10:46:32 AM
Tie rods out of adjustment......too much on one side, not enough on the other?

That's what I'm thinking-I'd start addressing the suspension before fiddling with the wheel...