News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need 7.3 powerstroke coolant help.

Started by Wicked72, October 01, 2013, 06:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

As some of you know i sold my 99 f350 reg cab to get a crew cab. engine temps where not getting high enough and decided to change the thermostat and was going to just top it back off. well i have no clue what coolant is in it. factory in the 7.3 for awhile was green with an sca charge which was what my old truck had. this truck.... so im going to flush it now but i want to run what ever color thats in it now. is it green or gold with a dyed sca??
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Wicked72

Left is gold with sca added, middle is regular prestone with sca added, right is whats in my truck now.... any ideas whats in my truck?

A383Wing

you probably have the "universal" coolant in there now from the looks of it

Wicked72

i think i might do a major flush and get fords vc5 regular green coolant and add the VC8 to it. im just worried of it not flushing completely and causing damage.

Wicked72

i was just reading about evans coolant. they say theres no water in it, no sca, and no maintenance for 500k miles on a diesel, they said a break down of an engine showed no signs of cavatation but $400 to fill the truck up! ouch. so im torn with just running green or gold with sca or switch to an elc with rmi-25...

A383Wing

we used the regular green Prestone style coolant with a bottle of VC8 whenever we did coolant changes

chargerboy69

I just run regular old green coolant in my 7.3.  :2thumbs:
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Wicked72

should i get the green coolant from ford? the prestone i got says its for all makes and models and i read some where i shoudnt use that?

A383Wing

we never used the Ford stuff...just regular Prestone....make sure you use the VC8 with it

c00nhunterjoe

Wicked72

decided to pickup some of the fords reg coolant. cant really just use any green, needs to be a low silicate as long as it reads ASTM D4985 which prestone is from what ive been told means its just that however is may not even say that and could read something entirely diff but it will says it exceeds the mark that where research will have to take part and easily could be low S.

I got my coolant and my VC8. after work im going to flush the hell out of it. picked up 20 gallons of distilled water which i will use after the long tap water flush. ill end up using the distilled twice after the garden hose flush to help get rid of the my nasty water. basically ill run the truck with just the good stuff to help catch whats left. im pulling the block plugs and going the whole 9 yards making damn sure that mystery pee coolant is gone.

Thanks for the help!!!!  :cheers: