News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

acrylic bonding agent

Started by polywideblock, September 23, 2013, 01:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polywideblock

just watching an MG is born (same guy as a bike is ,a car is, a chopper is , a plane is  born  .  Mark Evans  )and he was using acrylic bonding agent  to attach the rear quarters, lock striker post etc. . uses a few spot welds where he can, but on the whole its "glued" on    :scratchchin:    has anyone used this method on our cars ? does it work as well as welding ?   looked so simple , prep areas to be glued and stick on a quarter  and clamp    done  :shruggy:  is this the way of the future ?

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

oldgold69

had some rust repair done on my wifes  07durango they glued a patch panel on it  they did it about a year ago it went in today to get it fixed again because the panel is starting to separate from the old one  I like welded panels  but they said that's how the factory wants it

b5blue

I'm "testing" Epoxy panel bond adhesive on my car, so far so good on a bunch of patches.  :scratchchin:

Mike DC

Quotehad some rust repair done on my wifes  07durango they glued a patch panel on it  they did it about a year ago it went in today to get it fixed again because the panel is starting to separate from the old one  I like welded panels  but they said that's how the factory wants it

A 2007 Durango needing a patch panel for rust?  That didn't take long. 

cudaken

Quote from: polywideblock on September 23, 2013, 01:22:29 PM
is this the way of the future ?

No Poly is the current, in fact it started 10 years ago. I prefer the glue over welding for a couple of reasons.

1 I have seen countless older repairs where the panel was welded on, and had rust form around the welds. If the gas mix is off, the metal will rust.

2 Heat warps metal, glue does not. Now I know how to keep the warping down with heat barriers. But there is still some distortion.   

3 Glue is stronger than the metal! When I was first told that I  :smilielol: my ass off! Then the rep showed me. Glued 2 pieces of sheet metal 12 gauge if I remember right. Let it set up and hooked it to my pull post. At 3 tons the metal ripped, not the glue!  :eek2:

From what I understand most cars today have there panels glued on, not welded.

Far as Old gold 69 07 Durango, anything not done right will fail.

If you happen to remember my post about how to do Bodywork where I did the 69 AMX, I glued on the repair patches. When I do my 68 Road Runner again, I will be using glue.

Cuda Ken
I am back

oldgold69

it was just a paint blister thought they would blast it then seal it good  it had to go back three times first the body work was crap   then he flashed the blend real bad  then he ground the filler too thin  now it popped

Dino

Sure, did a few Alfa Romeo's years ago that had the rear quarters glued on instead of welded.  I think Range Rover does it as well although that may be a bolt on...memory is fuzzy right now.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.