News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why restore an old car?

Started by Tilar, September 21, 2013, 04:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

Not sure if what i'm doing constitutes restoring, I think it is more like bringing it back from what time has done to it over the years I've owned it and let things get to the stage It is in.  My main goal is primarily just to get it roadworthy again, as close to original as I can without getting too anal about replacement parts.  I do plan on having aftermarket wheels and tires and one or two options added that weren't on it when I got it, and aren't on the fender tag or build sheet.  Like the v21 hood treatment which wasn't an option till later in the model year. 

Anyway, why do it? because I already owned the car, and it deserves to look as good as the first day I got it, so when i'm ready to pass it on, the next person won't have to.  I doubt my daughters or future son in law would have any idea what came on the car, or where most of the parts would even go.  At least I remember where most of the parts are supposed to fit onto it.

I have no intention on restoring any other cars, they simply take too much time and effort (not counting the $$$), I'll finish the paint job on the other project car, reassemble the pieces and sell it to make room for one of my dad's favorites he's turned over to me, but the charger will remain until I can no longer drive or work on it, then i'll decide what to do with it.  I know my future son in law would love owning it, but he'd go the general lee route, which I couldn't accept.   
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

69finder

...because most people just can't, or won't, or don't.

It reminds me I'm not like most people.  Think about it, building a car, mostly by yourself.  Wow.

Fred

Quote from: 69finder on September 23, 2013, 11:41:35 PM
...because most people just can't, or won't, or don't.

It reminds me I'm not like most people.  Think about it, building a car, mostly by yourself.  Wow.

"WOW"  that's how it affected me. Pulling my car apart and putting it back together again was the most awesome experience. What a high!
Transforming an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan was a fairy tale come true.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Lord Warlock

I got that WoW feeling once, when I pulled the original motor out by myself with none of the standard tools other than a basic socket set and a few wrenches of my dads, a cable comalong and a 4x4 across rafters in the garage.  When I got it all back together, turned the key and it actually started, I sat back and felt WOW, that was a surprise, I've since pulled several other motors out, stripped a charger to a shell, and taught myself how to do body work, paint, and use a welder.  I get some pride out of the fact that I can do pretty much anything I set my mind to do car wise.  Nowadays there are just some things I prefer to let others do.  I've always wanted to fix the charger by myself and get it on the road again, never thought it would take me 30 years.  

Per their site: 
QuoteIn addition, each high performance Dodge purchaser received a membership in the Mr. Norm's Sport Club, including the famous window decals, a Grand Spaulding emblem on the trunk lid and a license plate frame, letting everyone know that you were a member of the Sport Club
http://www.mrnorms.com/

69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Fred

Quote from: Lord Warlock on September 24, 2013, 02:02:16 AM
I got that WoW feeling once, when I pulled the original motor out by myself with none of the standard tools other than a basic socket set and a few wrenches of my dads, a cable comalong and a 4x4 across rafters in the garage.  When I got it all back together, turned the key and it actually started, I sat back and felt WOW, that was a surprise, I've since pulled several other motors out, stripped a charger to a shell, and taught myself how to do body work, paint, and use a welder.  I get some pride out of the fact that I can do pretty much anything I set my mind to do car wise.  Nowadays there are just some things I prefer to let others do.  I've always wanted to fix the charger by myself and get it on the road again, never thought it would take me 30 years.  

If I can do it myself, I will. That way I'm guaranteed a job well done. No one but no one will put as much effort into it as I would. I do it for the love of it.......they do it (mostly) for their wages.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

69finder

I don't 'think' I can pull the engine or install it in my Charger.  (I have done it for smaller engine cars).

And it scares me.  There is a mental barrier.  There was a mental 'road block' when I first started working on the Charger (how do I get it up on it's wheels etc?).  But somehow I managed to do it and it's a great, Eureka moment.

Somehow that engine is going IN the Charger, but right now, I don't know.  I love that feeling!  :)

Lord Warlock

If you have an automatic, you pull the engine and transmission at the same time, just unbolt the trans crossmember and pull it out of the way, and as you lift the motor up the trans dangles downward.  I've done it twice to mine, both times before I started to store it long term.  Today, I just don't feel like doing it again, even though i'd prefer to rebuild the motor and clean/repaint the firewall and inner fenders.  The engine that's in it only has 65k original miles, for a long time I kept the gauge cluster to prove it, but donated It to someone that needed it about 12 years ago, and it was faded worse than the original cluster was.  

spoolinhard

Quote from: Back N Black on September 23, 2013, 10:25:08 AM
Why restore an old car? Because its not just a car!

> From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a car,"
> or,"that's a lot of money for "just a car".
> They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the
> costs involved for "just a car." Some of my proudest moments have come
> about with "just a car."
> Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a car," but I did
> not once feel slighted. Some of my saddest moments have been brought
> about by "just a car", and in those days of darkness, the simple sound
> of "just a car" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.
> If you, too, think it's "just a car", then you will probably
> understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a
> promise."
> "Just a car" brings into my life the very essence of friendship,
> trust, and pure unbridled joy.
> "Just a car" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a
> better person.
> Because of "just a car" I will rise early, labour long weekends, and
look
> longingly to gearhead magazines.
> So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a car" but an embodiment
> of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the
> past, and the pure joy of the moment.
> "Just a car" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts
> away.
> I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a car"
> but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a
man."
> So the next time you hear the phrase "just a car" just smile, because
> they "just" don't understand.  :2thumbs:

Beautifully written sir :2thumbs:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Back N Black on September 23, 2013, 10:25:08 AM
Why restore an old car? Because its not just a car!

> From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a car,"
> or,"that's a lot of money for "just a car".
> They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the
> costs involved for "just a car." Some of my proudest moments have come
> about with "just a car."
> Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a car," but I did
> not once feel slighted. Some of my saddest moments have been brought
> about by "just a car", and in those days of darkness, the simple sound
> of "just a car" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.
> If you, too, think it's "just a car", then you will probably
> understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a
> promise."
> "Just a car" brings into my life the very essence of friendship,
> trust, and pure unbridled joy.
> "Just a car" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a
> better person.
> Because of "just a car" I will rise early, labour long weekends, and
look
> longingly to gearhead magazines.
> So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a car" but an embodiment
> of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the