News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cars auction lambrecht collection

Started by cdr, September 19, 2013, 09:46:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilar

AND if you follow that link that Charlie posted you can see that most of these "New" cars have the same bidder as high bidder. Shill bidding maybe?
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

myk

Quote from: Tilar on September 21, 2013, 02:45:46 PM
They will bring good money and there will be big money names at that auction. How many people under the age of 40 years old can be the original owner of a 1964 car or truck?  There are a few that I wouldn't mind having but the money that has already been bid puts it out of what I feel they are worth even with zero miles.

Plus many of these "new" cars have been vandalized and missing a lot of parts.

Well, there goes the "time capsule" idea...

Tilar

Here is a good example. One my favorite Chevy pickups. Current bid $1300, but they do say they have most of the parts to replace what was stolen. I just noticed that it has the tool box in the right side of the bed. Fairly rare if I remember right. Another pic shows the rocker panels rusted through. Going to take a lot of time and cash to put this back together. It really didn't "survive" too well.

QuoteThe truck has 3 miles. It has been outside. V8 and no radiator. Green and white in color. It's it amazing. People helped themselves to parts - stole them. Trim is gone. It has an automatic transmission. the glove box was stolen. manual windows and locks. steering wheel is corroded. There is damage on the body. Lots of parts gone. The interior is rough. Project parts. This is a very RARE opportunity to own a true Survivor car. Selling AS IS and all sales are final.

More pics
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

70moparman

They are all Chevys = Who gives a shit...   :icon_smile_big:

Never sold cars with only a couple miles on them is cool, but those cars will still need a lot of restoration... A LOT!   :yesnod:

Guy would of been better selling most those cars when they were still nice... He will do good on the COLLECTABLE CARS, but most of what he has is run of the mill Chevys... Boring...   :pity:

There are a few cars with fins that look cool, other than that, pass... :Twocents:

F8-4life

I like his "new" '59 chevys.
Most say stored inside then seen outside storage....so they took a new car and then sat out in a field with their used inventory. Great idea.
Also this guy should have bit the bullet & sold his lot about 5-10 years ago when people still had $$.

myk

Quote from: 70moparman on September 22, 2013, 05:55:06 AM
They are all Chevys = Who gives a shit...   :icon_smile_big:

Never sold cars with only a couple miles on them is cool, but those cars will still need a lot of restoration... A LOT!   :yesnod:

Guy would of been better selling most those cars when they were still nice... He will do good on the COLLECTABLE CARS, but most of what he has is run of the mill Chevys... Boring...   :pity:

There are a few cars with fins that look cool, other than that, pass... :Twocents:

Yup, why hold onto something if you're not going to do something with it.  Now, when Jay Leno's garage(s) go up for sale I'll definitely look on in anticipation...

69hemidaytona

This guy was one of the worst businessmen I have ever heard of. Why didn't he wholesale the cars out to other dealers when they were new? If he had done that and then invested the money in the stock market or real estate or just about anything else he would have many millions of dollars more than he will get for these cars now.

myk

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on September 23, 2013, 06:51:55 PM
This guy was one of the worst businessmen I have ever heard of. Why didn't he wholesale the cars out to other dealers when they were new? If he had done that and then invested the money in the stock market or real estate or just about anything else he would have many millions of dollars more than he will get for these cars now.

He's no businessman for sure.  Just sounds like a regular joe who ran a car lot, got out and didn't know what to do with all of that property; he added all those cars to the long list of things on his to-do/bucket list and is just now dealing with it...

Aero426

It was explained earlier by someone familiar with the dealership either here or over on Moparts.    The dealer wanted to control the local used car market.   His philosophy was by putting the used cars off limits, he would drive sales to new cars.     And by not dumping them, they would not wind up on a competitor's lot.  But definitely not the typical way of operating.    

stripedelete

That town must have been seriously isolated.  Or maybe the dealer should have been.

He probably kicked the bucket in the 80's and it all got tied up in an estate.

Aero426

Small town, a little over 1000 people.   Dealer is still alive at age 95.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Aero426 on September 23, 2013, 07:50:12 PM
It was explained earlier by someone familiar with the dealership either here or over on Moparts.    The dealer wanted to control the local used car market.   His philosophy was by putting the used cars off limits, he would drive sales to new cars.     And by not dumping them, they would not wind up on a competitor's lot.  But definitely not the typical way of operating.    

But how do you make money buying used cars to park in your back 40 in hopes of creating buyers of new cars?  It seems like there is not a large profit between used car buyers and new car buyers....?.?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

GOTWING

there is not much mark up in new cars, the money to be made is in the used cars :yesnod:

F8-4life

Quote from: Aero426 on September 23, 2013, 07:50:12 PM

Thats a pretty bad idea for such a successful guy, who in the heck would have seriously thought that?
On the good side though, it did save some cars from the crusher.

tan top

:o wow , amazing !! deffo stuff dreams are made of ,  :yesnod:  even if they are chebbys  :P  in reality i'm betting most if not all are pretty much rotted out on the under side & every thing that can be seized / rusted up ! is  :icon_smile_blackeye:   only difference is the hype with never been used  , un sold etc etc  now if they  been sitting in a airforce hanger for 40 years out in the desert some place , it would be a different story  ,  :Twocents:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Shaners74

Quote from: tan top on September 24, 2013, 10:03:39 AM
:o wow , amazing !! deffo stuff dreams are made of ,  :yesnod:  even if they are chebbys  :P  in reality i'm betting most if not all are pretty much rotted out on the under side & every thing that can be seized / rusted up ! is  :icon_smile_blackeye:   only difference is the hype with never been used  , un sold etc etc  now if they  been sitting in a airforce hanger for 40 years out in the desert some place , it would be a different story  ,  :Twocents:

Why do you think area 51 has high security? It's not aliens. It's full of old cars.  :yesnod:

69chargerboy

My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

6spd68

At the very least, a local scrapper can bid on all the 100$ cars and make a few  :Twocents: on each.

Rather pointless bidding on these mundane cars.  Why?  For the love of god...  Are people bidding more then a fully restored corvair is worth?  Those cars are gahbage! :eek2:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Ghoste

Because people are morons.  I wonder how many of them think they are stealing cars at auction and can't wait for B-J or Counting Cars to knock on their door so they can make a big profit.

Aero426

Quote from: 6spd68 on September 27, 2013, 02:04:56 PM
At the very least, a local scrapper can bid on all the 100$ cars and make a few  :Twocents: on each.

That particular auctioneer will sometimes get a flat per car bid from a local scrapper.  That becomes the minimum bid for a collector to buy the car.    You can pull off what you want and leave the carcass behind if you choose.

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on September 27, 2013, 02:07:31 PM
Because people are morons.  I wonder how many of them think they are stealing cars at auction and can't wait for B-J or Counting Cars to knock on their door so they can make a big profit.

True.   Auctions of great cars do not get anywhere near this kind of mainstream press.    People are just fascinated with the story.

F8-4life

46k for the '58 cameo with crunched roofline!?
I'm glad people appreciate these cars but wow.
Aero426 is right people are taken in by the history/story.

Just noticed $40 bid on the '62 chevy yard stick & the wood is rotted on both ends.
I have the exact same ruler from a ohio chevy dealer in mint condition..on craigslist I couldn't get a bite on it.

6spd68

But the story isn't even that special.  Back in the 60's, a car dealer made a dumbass move and stored unsold cars. For the most part they were everyday driver vehicles and trucks.  And then, for 40 years, nothing happened.  DUN DUN DUN!  :RantExplode:

This world... :icon_smile_dissapprove:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."