News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1967 charger tail light problem

Started by manny296, September 14, 2013, 04:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manny296

My rear running lights and brake lights are not working any more. here are the symptoms:

Rear Hazards - work
Rear Left and Right turn signals - work
Rear Brake Lights - Do not work
Rear Running lights - Do Not Work

All Front Lights work perfectly

I originally thought the problem was in the turn signal switch since playing with it made it work in the past. Any Ideas on how to fix and exactly what to check?

Thanks, Manny

Dino

If playing with the switch used to work but no more, then I would guess to say the contacts have worn down sufficiently so that little trick doesn't work anymore.  Get a new switch and you'll be back in business.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

J.Bond

Manny;

It's pretty odd that the turn signals and emergency flashers work but not the brake lights, I would ckeck the brake light switch, accuated by the brake peddle first. The running lights may be a defective resistance wire located in the trunk. Look in the trunk, find the wiring harness on the drivers side of the car, look for the white, now probably brown, due to heat, wire link in the wiring harness. It's about 24 inches long and has a male spade connector on each end. It usually found just behind the fuel filler tube. You may find that the wire is pretty burned up, if so make a 14 gauge replacement and replace it. Finding a factory replacement may not be that easy, the 14 gauge will work fine, most of the resistance links I have seen were pretty much toast. The purpose of the resistance wire is, a topic within it's self...........

James

ODZKing

I had a tail light issue with my 67 when I first purchased it. Short story ... replaced the turn signal switch which corrected everything.  Brake lights go through that strange as it sounds.
Then several years ago another issue which turned out to be the flasher switch.  Seems it was dirty enough to stuck in the "on" position but nothing going through.
Check them both.  The signal switch WAS availble at on time from Chrysler, I don't believe it is any longer.
Here are the numbers. Original number 2771802 which superseded to 2857241 which ss'd to 2947801. The last number has the lane change feature.
As far as the flasher switch, take it out and lube it or maybe someone here has one. "Hold open" switch will work for that as well.

gibber

Going to try and visit here more often! Jim Rodebaugh in OK would have that switch....good luck, and hey Bob!!!!

Mark
Mark Gibson
1966 and 67 Charger, 1968 D200 Pickup
Mopar Gauge Troubles? I can help!
www.thegaugedoc.com