News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ever wonder what rain can do to a fresh paint job?

Started by Lord Warlock, September 08, 2013, 12:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

Last weekend i was doing my weekend piecemeal car jobs, which for me was to spray a 2nd wet coat of paint on a dodge stealth turbo thats been sitting next to the charger for ages (or the last 10 years) I was fairly satisfied with the coat i got on the car, with the possible exception of the hood where a ding magically appeared in the center of the hood, have no clue how it got there, and now that i've put two full coats on I really don't feel like messing the paint up to fill the ding and repaint the whole hood afterwards.  Anyway,  at the same time as the 2nd coat was going on, I also had a door handle and one of the side mirrors (same as a viper mirror) that i had sitting on top of a trash can lid out front of the garage.  When i sprayed those, I got a very nice medium build coat on each, satisfied that I possibly wouldn't need to put a 2nd coat on the door handle and mirror, i left them in the open to air dry. 

About 15 to 20 minutes later, as i'm sitting on the back porch letting the fumes and overspray escape the garage (have an air conditioner and a fan blowing the air out of the garage door opening, so i have to get out of the way to protect my lungs)  I hear a crack of thunder, and the sky opens up and it rains on me,  I'm looking at the mirror and door handle just hoping it had enough time to flash dry in 98 degree florida heat where a little rain wouldn't hurt it, well the paint didn't wash off but it left both of the pieces pockmarked something horrible,  they both look like someone intentionally texture painted them like we did in our kitchen walls when we had the kitchen redone.

I will have some pics to add to the thread tomorrow, both will need to be stripped re-primed sanded smooth by hand and reshot again,  but you all gotta see the amount of pock marks on the mirror, looks like the lunar surface.  Word to the wise, after spraying small parts, move them to a safe spot to avoid possible acts of god. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Fred

So sorry to hear this. What an upset.
I let mine cure for 10 months to be absolutely sure.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Lord Warlock

At least the car was fine, the smalls i can deal with over time, ran out of reducer so have to wait till next saturday to go to the paint shop and get more.  Got some pics on the phone camera, but it ate the last of the battery power so have to charge the battery before i can download the pics.  I usually prefer to spray paint with a steady rain outside as it cuts down on the floating dust and pollen in the air, still have to color sand and buff out the entire car since the dust in the air always seems to attract to fresh paint, may just be the type of paint i'm using, since the paint went on alot smoother using the more expensive base coat clear coat i did on the challenger hood a few years ago.  

painted the roof black today using a different type of paint i got from pep boys, it actually came out pretty nice,  makes me wonder if i should try a different brand of paint than the single stage polyurethane enamel (Nason house brand) I've been using on the stealth, the same brand of paint worked great on the charger with not near the amount of dust nibs showing.   
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

JB400

At least it happened to the small parts instead of the whole car itself.  Plus side to everything I guess.  Sad that it happened though. :pity:

Lord Warlock

threads are useless without pics, so here they are. 

would make an interesting paint job if you didn't want to polish or wax, makes me wonder if the car would go faster like a golf ball. 

rt green

you just invented the new style for the tuner paint job craze. 
third string oil changer

mauve66

Quote from: rt green on September 08, 2013, 01:46:53 PM
you just invented the new style for the tuner paint job craze. 

that's what i was thinking, use viper green paint and call them scales
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Patronus

You could dust it in a darker blue and then wet sand it. All the pocks would be the different color, hmmm, or a flip-flop color even!  :shruggy:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Dino

Air drying paint in Florida takes a very very long time and that's just to handle it.  Without forced hot air it would take months to cure but luckily that great fireball in the sky helps a lot.  Humidity is not nice on paint and the liquid form...well...  :lol: 

Two coats are also a must, regardless what the first coat looks like.  Do-over unfortunately.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Lord Warlock

At one point in time in the last 10 years, these mirrors were painted house of kolor medium teal pearl with blue Kandy flames,  a second coat is necessary now, this time I think i'll hang them to spray, then dry them for 24 hours.  It usually takes about that long to dry normally here, provided I have air flow.  The mirror is already sanded smooth, just have to hand sand the curves.  The door handle however I'll have to strip as I can't use a sander on it without risking ruining the handle itself (how I ruined the original handle) The soda blaster I have pretty much sucks, clogs too easy and needs constant shaking to maintain flow, wish i'd gotten a larger unit.  The compressor isn't big enough to keep up with a sandblaster, so it looks like it will be chemical stripper, steel wool and a lot of hand sanding to fix. 

Dino

Quote from: Lord Warlock on September 09, 2013, 06:53:37 PM
At one point in time in the last 10 years, these mirrors were painted house of kolor medium teal pearl with blue Kandy flames,  a second coat is necessary now, this time I think i'll hang them to spray, then dry them for 24 hours.  It usually takes about that long to dry normally here, provided I have air flow.  The mirror is already sanded smooth, just have to hand sand the curves.  The door handle however I'll have to strip as I can't use a sander on it without risking ruining the handle itself (how I ruined the original handle) The soda blaster I have pretty much sucks, clogs too easy and needs constant shaking to maintain flow, wish i'd gotten a larger unit.  The compressor isn't big enough to keep up with a sandblaster, so it looks like it will be chemical stripper, steel wool and a lot of hand sanding to fix. 

For the door handle:  Take a nice big piece of cling wrap, like saran.  Put the handle in the middle and cover the whole thing in easy off oven cleaner.  Wrap the cling wrap so no air can get to the foam.  Tomorrow rinse it off with hot water and final sand it.  Be sure to rinse as long as possible before you sand because any residue left will be sanded into the handle.
Most paint should come right off without the use of elbow grease.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.