News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Today's Fluids?

Started by cudaken, September 07, 2013, 07:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

Boy things have changed as far as fluids go!  :shruggy: I have to buy zinc to added to the oil. But what about other fluids? :scratchchin:

First worry is ATF. I was not able to buy Dextrion II for decades. But I knew that Dextrion III would work. Seems I cannot get that any longer. So what do I buy now and do I need to add anything to it? :shruggy:

Rear Lube?

Power Steering?

Brake Fluid and coolant I think I will be OK with the stuff made today.

Car is 68 Road Runner with 727. 

Cuda Ken
I am back

A383Wing

ATF -- ATF +4 or anything equivalent to Dexron III....like multi-purpose ATF

Rear end lube - Most any 85-90w gear oil will work fine, if it's a Sure-grip, don't ferget the clutch additive

Power Steering - most any universal PS fluid will work fine

flyinlow

Pete in NH

Hi,

I've done some research on the ATF-4 vs Dexron III issue and all I can say is I've come away confused. Chrysler seems to say ATF-4 is back compatible in all their transmissions. Other sources seem to say that because ATF-4 was really formulated for the newer electronically controlled transmissions it has different friction modifiers in it to allow softer shifts by allowing more slippage. This extra slippage is said to be not so good for the older 904/727 Torqueflites. Based on this I've decides to stay with the Dexron fluids in my older Torqueflites.

Has anyone else run across this information?

Cooter

my understanding was ATF plus 4 had friction modifiers is to help with lock up torque converter clutches. Not to allow slippage, but to help control shudder.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Paul G

ATF+4 is synthetic fluid. The bottle I have says it is backward compatible with any ATF+, doesn't mention Dexron. The A518 I put in my Charger requires ATF+4, the A518 is just a 727 with an overdrive in the tail shaft. My trans guy told me ATF+4 can be used in any trans that takes Dexron. Besides you cant hardly find Dexron any more.

I tried synthetic gear lube in the axle. The bottle said it already had friction modifiers for limited slip type axles, so I did not add any modifiers to it. It didn't work out so well. I heard lots of popping and strange sounds from the axle when backing up. Switched it back out for conventional 80w90 gear lube with a bottle of Mopar axle additive. Nice and quiet axle now.

As for engine oil there are brands that already have the ZDDP added to them, Valvoline VR1 is one type and easy to get at Oreilly's or the like.   
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Pete in NH

Cooter,

That makes sense about the lock up converters, I know Chrysler went through a really bad time in the early 90's with the first electronically controlled transmissions.

By the way my local NAPA still carrys Dexron. It would be interesting to hear about peoples experience with ATF-4 in older 904/727 torqueflites, because I imagine like everthing else to support older cars the Dexron fluids will go away some day.

John_Kunkel

ATF+4 is backwards compatible with all previous fluids but I wouldn't use it in anything but an overdrive trans.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

cudaken

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 09, 2013, 05:13:17 PM

ATF+4 is backwards compatible with all previous fluids but I wouldn't use it in anything but an overdrive trans.

John, why?

Just checked with Napa and they have 500 quarts in there warehouse and the store has 72 quarts!  :coolgleamA:

I am going to stick with what I know!

Thanks again for all the answers, Cuda Ken
I am back