News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another General Lee Wannabe

Started by TruckDriver, September 07, 2013, 03:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

Quote from: 69finder on September 11, 2013, 12:09:39 AM
Is Maximumrecoil the local troll?  He's pretty good at it.

Look for that mis-pronounced screen name to cause you to be dismissed out of hand, talked down to, and deemed irrelevant. :-\
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

69finder

Quote from: Cooter on September 11, 2013, 05:39:01 AM

Look for that mis-pronounced screen name to cause you to be dismissed out of hand, talked down to, and deemed irrelevant. :-\

He must know my wife :)

MaximRecoil

You clearly don't know what the word "troll" means, nor do you read very well (see bolding).

JB400

Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 11, 2013, 10:52:44 PM
Is Maximumrecoil the local troll?  He's pretty good at it.

You clearly don't know what the word "troll" means, nor do you read very well (see bolding).
Not everyone is familiar with gun parts.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 12, 2013, 12:07:07 AM

Are you suggesting that a person needs to be "familiar with gun parts" in order to read the name "Maxim" properly?

By the way, I don't even like heavy recoil in guns (who does?), much less "maximum recoil". The proper name "Maxim" has nothing to do with the adjective "maximum", obviously, aside from a coincidental sequence of letters, and the "Recoil" in my username doesn't refer to the "felt recoil", AKA: the "kick" of a gun anyway.

ws23rt

Is  "bolding" a word you made up?   If so what meaning do you apply to it?

Lighthorseman

Just had to jump in before...   :dancinglock:  :nana:

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on September 12, 2013, 12:50:16 AM

"Bold" is commonly used as a verb, especially on the internet where there is so much text communication, and HTML or BBCode markup is so commonly used:

Verb
bold (third-person singular simple present bolds, present participle bolding, simple past and past participle bolded)
To make a selected portion of text have a typeface with thicker and heavier strokes.

It follows that the present participle of a verb can be used as a noun as I did, to refer to an instance of that action. As an example, the word "write" as a verb and its present participle, "writing":

"John is writing on the wall." (verb)
"Paul read the writing on the wall." (noun)

Draw/drawing, mark/marking, etc., are other examples.

ws23rt

Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 12, 2013, 01:06:20 AM
Quote from: ws23rt on September 12, 2013, 12:50:16 AM

"Bold" is commonly used as a verb, especially on the internet where there is so much text communication, and HTML or BBCode markup is so commonly used:

Verb
bold (third-person singular simple present bolds, present participle bolding, simple past and past participle bolded)
To make a selected portion of text have a typeface with thicker and heavier strokes.

It follows that the present participle of a verb can be used as a noun as I did, to refer to an instance of that action. As an example, the word "write" as a verb and its present participle, "writing":

"John is writing on the wall." (verb)
"Paul read the writing on the wall." (noun)

Draw/drawing, mark/marking, etc., are other examples.

Surly there is more than just that.   Maybe the dictionary should be updated :shruggy:   You should apply for a job.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on September 12, 2013, 01:09:29 AM

Surly there is more than just that.

Say what? There is nothing special about the word "bolding" that would prevent its use as a noun. Many "-ing word" can be used as a noun:

"John is flying the airplane." (verb)
"That was some fancy flying, John." (noun)

The ones that aren't normally used as nouns are ones that have a noun form, with the same spelling, such as rain/raining. If you want to refer to an instance of raining, you can simply use the word "rain".

QuoteMaybe the dictionary should be updated :shruggy:

They are constantly being updated.

QuoteYou should apply for a job.

You should familiarize yourself with how dictionaries actually work and what their role actually is in the English language. Every word in there was in usage before being in there, and usage is what actually establishes words and their definitions, not dictionaries (dictionaries simply document the words and their already-established-by-public-usage definitions).

JB400

Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 12, 2013, 12:49:24 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 12, 2013, 12:07:07 AM

Are you suggesting that a person needs to be "familiar with gun parts" in order to read the name "Maxim" properly?

By the way, I don't even like heavy recoil in guns (who does?), much less "maximum recoil". The proper name "Maxim" has nothing to do with the adjective "maximum", obviously, aside from a coincidental sequence of letters, and the "Recoil" in my username doesn't refer to the "felt recoil", AKA: the "kick" of a gun anyway.
No, a person doesn't need to have an understanding of guns to read your name.  Just a sense of literacy can determine that.  But, a person familiar with guns would recognize  your name by associating with guns.

Honestly, I done a search of your name just to see exactly what it meant. After looking it up, I say it fits you just fine.

On another note, some people have jobs and hobbies to occupy their time instead of reading a dictionary.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 12, 2013, 01:34:42 AM
No, a person doesn't need to have an understanding of guns to read your name.  Just a sense of literacy can determine that.

So your previous statement ...

"Not everyone is familiar with gun parts."

... made no sense then.

QuoteBut, a person familiar with guns would recognize  your name by associating with guns.

This doesn't have anything to do with being able to read the word "Maxim". Plus, the "Recoil" part is the part most commonly associated with guns, even by people who know little-to-nothing about them, and that's not the part than anyone is having difficulty reading.

QuoteHonestly, I done a search of your name just to see exactly what it meant. After looking it up, I say it fits you just fine.

And what does my username mean according to your research, and how does it "fit me just fine"?

QuoteOn another note, some people have jobs and hobbies to occupy their time instead of reading a dictionary.

Who is reading a dictionary, and what does it have to do with whether someone can read the word "Maxim" or not, and/or what does it have to do with the meaning of my username? The meaning of my username can't be found in a dictionary.

JB400

QuoteSo your previous statement ...

... made no sense then.
Makes perfect sense to me.  That's the only one that matters.

QuoteQuote

But, a person familiar with guns would recognize  your name by associating with guns.

This doesn't have anything to do with being able to read the word "Maxim". Plus, the "Recoil" part is the part most commonly associated with guns, even by people who know little-to-nothing about them, and that's not the part than anyone is having difficulty reading.
Never did say that it did have anything to do with being able to "read" your name.  I don't know why you would think that in the first place.

QuoteQuote

On another note, some people have jobs and hobbies to occupy their time instead of reading a dictionary.

Who is reading a dictionary, and what does it have to do with whether someone can read the word "Maxim" or not, and/or what does it have to do with the meaning of my username? The meaning of my username can't be found in a dictionary.
I believe you told WS that he should familiarize himself with a dictionary and how they work.....
QuoteYou should familiarize yourself with how dictionaries actually work and what their role actually is in the English language.
Am I correct?  Since you know how they work, you obviously read them.  What that has to do with your name, no idea.  You brought that part up.

QuoteAnd what does my username mean according to your research, and how does it "fit me just fine"?
Your name means nothing to me.  I just wanted to know what it was associated with, that is all.  Most usernames on here are associated with Mopar.  Yours is not, which makes it unique.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 12, 2013, 02:12:35 AM
So your previous statement ...

... made no sense then.
Makes perfect sense to me.  That's the only one that matters.

Whether or not something makes sense is not an opinion, so your "to me" is irrelevant, as is the following text. Your statement objectively made no sense as a reply to my post because "Not everyone is familiar with gun parts" has nothing to do with my post to which it was a reply; i.e., my post was about someone's difficulty reading the word "Maxim", and familiarity with gun parts, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with that, which you have already admitted. In other words, it was a non sequitur.

QuoteNever did say that it did have anything to do with being able to "read" your name.  I don't know why you would think that in the first place.

Is that a joke? You posted it as a reply to the following question:

"Are you suggesting that a person needs to be "familiar with gun parts" in order to read the name "Maxim" properly?"

QuoteI believe you told WS that he should familiarize himself with a dictionary and how they work.....
QuoteYou should familiarize yourself with how dictionaries actually work and what their role actually is in the English language.
Am I correct?

First of all, that was in a different discussion on a different topic that you weren't a part of, so if you reference something random like that, you should be less vague. Secondly, I never suggested that he read the dictionary. Reading a dictionary won't tell you how they work and what their role actually is in the English language; it will only give you definitions of word after word after word.

QuoteYour name means nothing to me.  I just wanted to know what it was associated with, that is all.  Most usernames on here are associated with Mopar.  Yours is not, which makes it unique. That makes you a unique individual.

I've used the same username for about a dozen years, regardless of which forum I'm on. It is a reference to Hiram Maxim and his most famous invention, the recoil-operated machine gun. Maxim was from my father's hometown and he test-fired his machine gun prototype into the lake in my hometown, and a deactivated Maxim machine gun is in our local museum, or at least it was when I was a kid.

Cooter

Dismissed out of hand...now where's thst bird..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Back N Black

This thread is just verbal diarrhea! Why not use PM for your little quarrel?

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Chargen69

Quote from: Back N Black on September 12, 2013, 09:28:57 AM
This thread is just verbal diarrhea! Why not use PM for your little quarrel?

perfect idea

6spd68

Quote from: Dino on September 12, 2013, 11:32:44 AM
What were we talking about again?

I believe we were discussing orange cars with the # 01 painted on the side?  But I have no memory of this place...
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Dino

Quote from: 6spd68 on September 12, 2013, 02:32:54 PM

I believe we were discussing orange cars with the # 01 painted on the side?  But I have no memory of this place...

Ah yes, now I remember.  Thanks for waking me up.   :icon_smile_big:

A383Wing

If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?

Dino

Quote from: A383Wing on September 12, 2013, 03:04:07 PM

If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?

My educated guess would be a darker shade of blue...

Back N Black

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.