News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alternator swap, issue with the brackets. Pic posted, need measurement please.

Started by Dino, September 05, 2013, 12:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I bought a denso 90 amp alternator for my 69 after reading about others doing this upgrade.  What I did not realize was that these guys all had non A/C cars and guess what?  Mine has A/C and the brackets don't work.  I should be able to reuse the triangular bracket but it looks like the bottom adjuster bracket is not going to work.  Can I get a standard bracket, or aftermarket, to make this thing fit?  The bracket I have seems to be too far back, ie closer to the block, and I don't think I have enough room to adjust the alt either although I can probably make it work by using shorter belts.

Does anyone have both an A/C and non A/C setup to compare the lower brackets?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dino

What about a picture of the non A/C lower bracket and maybe some measurements?  That way I can compare to what I have.

b5blue

Got a link to what you bought? "We" were talking the Denso 120 amp unit earlier....?  :scratchchin:

myk

The adjusting bracket is a seperate piece, right?  If it's too far back, couldn't you just...put a spacer of some sort behind it to push it out as far as it needs to go?  Or would it hit the belt?

Dino

Neil I had to give up on the Mancini kit as it still is not available.  When I looked for another source I came across a thread here about the 90 amp version.  Having little to lose, I bought one on ebay for $42.

Myk I should be able to move the bracket forward because it would end up where a standard bracket would.  That's a bit theoretical though as I'll have to try it first.  The standard bracket is supposedly longer though so the alt can be pushed towards the passenger side more.  If I can get it to alt onto my bracket and I can find shorter belts then all may be well, but I think I'm gonna have to buy one of the standard brackets.

myk

I had no idea this would be more complicated for 'AC cars.  I also think it's crazy that most of the cars featured in the 'alt conversion are mostly non-AC cars lol...

Dino

Quote from: myk on September 05, 2013, 08:09:36 PM
I had no idea this would be more complicated for 'AC cars.  I also think it's crazy that most of the cars featured in the 'alt conversion are mostly non-AC cars lol...

I know!   :lol:

I'm not giving up A/C though, way too hot in the summer for that.

I'll see if I can find a non A/C slider bracket locally so I can play with it a bit.

Dino

I took this measurement on my A/C bracket which is 7.5" between the yellow lines.  Basically the distance from the center of the bolt to the end of the slider gap.

Can someone with a NON A/C BB car measure the same on their bracket?  If it's a bit longer it may work with my aftermarket alternator.

Thanks

myk

A383Wing