News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Upper Control Arm Bushings

Started by 1970Moparmann, September 02, 2013, 08:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

I'm really surprised but my rubber PST bushings only lasted 4,000 miles.  Since I would like to do some mild road racing, should I go with poly?   Opinions wanted....

Thanks. :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

cdr

if the upper arm bolts were tightened with the car up in the air it will tear the bushing & it wont last very long.  :shruggy:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Mike DC

Only 4000 miles?  Something is wrong there. 

Maybe it's the install or maybe it's the parts, but it's something. 

WHITE AND RED 69

Only 4000 miles, that sucks! How is your alignment? Maybe something is off causing it to wear down quicker? 

I'd go with polyurethane since you have to replace them. All of my poly bushings have about 5000 miles and they still look good. The only spot I have had bad experiences with poly is the lower control arm but that was my fault cause I torqued it down with the car in the air.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

1970Moparmann

I will probably go with the Poly's.  I didn't do the original suspension work, so not sure if it was torqued down in the air or not. 

Thanks guys!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

375instroke

Why would torquing in the air matter with poly?  Don't they slide like a bearing unlike the rubber ones that twist?

375instroke

I've seen bushing material rated from best to worst like this:
1. Delrin
2. Rubber
3. Sand
4. Polyurethane

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: 375instroke on September 11, 2013, 11:06:22 AM
I've seen bushing material rated from best to worst like this:
1. Delrin
2. Rubber
3. Sand
4. Polyurethane

Sounds like you got that info from a reputable source. Too bad nobody makes Delrin suspension bushings for Mopars.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

375instroke

myk

Lol, what's wrong with 'poly bushings? 

68CoronetRT

Delrin is definitely the move. In Off-Road racing, its all about Delrin. We have to custom build each piece for our truck on a lathe. It's alot of work but well worth it.

fy469rtse

moparman ,
have a look at repco in Australia, aftermarket suspension co over here, they make offset and standard bushes for our Valiant's , fit b body also,
the reason for the offset bush is for more camber caster adjustment. 

bull

Quote from: myk on September 12, 2013, 02:28:05 PM

Squeaky, squeak, squeak, that's what.

myk

Well that Delrin stuff sounds too expensive.  As long as the 'polys do a good job of beefing up my suspension, the squeaking they make can join the orchestra of strange noises that the car's already making...

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: 375instroke on September 12, 2013, 02:09:05 PM
Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on September 11, 2013, 01:43:14 PM
Too bad nobody makes Delrin suspension bushings for Mopars.

Nobody?
http://www.paeco.com/Delrin%20Bushings.htm

Ok, you got me there. But no one mass produces them, hopefully in the future someone will make full kits.

Delrin sounds great but that's way too expensive to have each bushing custom made. You could buy a new set of tubular control arms with bushings installed for the cost to have delrin bushings made for your used control arms.

Quote from: bull on September 13, 2013, 02:31:24 AM
Quote from: myk on September 12, 2013, 02:28:05 PM

Squeaky, squeak, squeak, that's what.

I have been using poly bushings for the last 3 years and have yet to hear them make any noise.  And if they do start, all of them have grease fittings so it's an easy fix.

If you do hear any noises, just means your engine isn't loud enough.   :nana:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

myk

bull

Squeaky, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak.................. :brickwall:

myk

Lol.  I raise guinea pigs, so maybe the Charger will have someone to talk to when I'm at work...

bull

375instroke

I really don't know what's better.  We have poly lower control arm bushings on our Mustang endurance road race car, and they seem ok for now, and we beat the hell out of that car as far as turns and braking goes.

Poly LCA bushings reuse the old sleeves from the rubber bushings.  Could it be so difficult to make these or other bushings from raw stock?  I see a few people cut poly strut rod bushings to fit better.  I've relocated the crossmember 5/8" forward, moved the lower control arms, which are 3/4" longer than stock, up 3/4", and moved the steering rack back 1/4" and up.  All this to fix deficiencies in the original design.  I don't know if B-bodies have any problems, but I think Hotchkis thinks so.  They relocate one of the upper control arm pivot points.  If the geometry moves the wheels in the wrong direction, what is a stiffer bushing going to help?