News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Don's 69 Charger Rust Belt restoration

Started by mopar4don, September 01, 2013, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

I only have a 6 inch caliper, so I measured down 6 inches, made a mark,

mopar4don

then measured the last bit .410 for an overall of 6.410

mopar4don

Compared this 6.410 dimension to the donor pillar and WOW a perfect notch to notch match!

mopar4don

I wanted another reference mark, so I measured down to the lower brace 5.160 and 5.300 (top and bottom side of brace)
(NOTE: I have an upper brace that is nested inside the top notch) (go back 4 pics and you will see it)

mopar4don

I transferred these marks to the donor

mopar4don

There was one other feature that was in common to old and new pillars. It is a notched screw hole for the trim and door seal. It checked 1.390

mopar4don

AND 1.390 in the donor pillar! I never would have thought that!

mopar4don

Another close up of the old pillar

mopar4don

Indygenerallee

Looks like all sorts of fun Don, It was nice to meet you this past week as well!! :2thumbs:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Pat1973charger

As I said before amaZing work your doing there, checked out your thread on fbbo with the roof structure off, you are some kind of insane. My 69 is way worse then yours to the point it has lost rigidity and shape, your posts have helped keep me determined to fix it. You don't wabt to make another pair of those rear lower window corners lol mine are rusted away completely so I will have to fab them by guess/ your pics lol. Keep cutting and welding you soon can only go forward!

mopar4don

Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 15, 2014, 09:26:24 PM
Looks like all sorts of fun Don, It was nice to meet you this past week as well!! :2thumbs:
Hey Indy, It was great meeting you to. Got home and all I could think of was all those "smalls" you had.  :lol:

Quote from: Pat1973charger on October 16, 2014, 02:59:31 AM
As I said before amaZing work your doing there, checked out your thread on fbbo with the roof structure off, you are some kind of insane. My 69 is way worse then yours to the point it has lost rigidity and shape, your posts have helped keep me determined to fix it. You don't wabt to make another pair of those rear lower window corners lol mine are rusted away completely so I will have to fab them by guess/ your pics lol. Keep cutting and welding you soon can only go forward!
Thanks Pat, I will continue to get this thread caught up.
I may be able to help you out. Send me a pm of what you are thinking.

Pat1973charger

mopar4don

Ok time to chop. I sure hope this works!!!!!

This is what I came up with.
I cut a 2x4 to use as a guide for my sawzall.
I lined up the back side of the 2x4 with the notch. I cut the 2x4 long enough so it would cut inbetween the 1.390 dimension

mopar4don

more pics....

mopar4don

Well its done and I have to say I was very pleased with the cut.
It cut easily and the 2x4 worked grate as a guide!

fy469rtse

keep up the good work Don,
fantastic , no such thing as a car too far gone for you  :2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn:

workworkwork

Seeing all the work you have done and all the work you still have to do has made me exhausted. I think I need a nap now. Its a good thing you are willing to put the time into this car because it would cost a fortune at a shop. I look forward to seeing this car done.  :popcrn: :popcrn:

six-tee-nine

Don, I see alot of upclose pictures, but is there anything left of your shell at this point?

I mean WOW you dismantled it well my friend.... If that thing aint gonna end up being better than stock then I dont know anymore....

Oh and keep plowing forward. I guess when you start building forward you'll start to feel better.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

mopar4don

Quote from: workworkwork on October 20, 2014, 10:46:05 PM
Seeing all the work you have done and all the work you still have to do has made me exhausted. I think I need a nap now. Its a good thing you are willing to put the time into this car because it would cost a fortune at a shop. I look forward to seeing this car done.  :popcrn: :popcrn:
Hi workwork. Thanks it can be exhausting, (mostly mentally) haveing to think all the time! :think:

Quote from: six-tee-nine on October 21, 2014, 11:26:15 AM
Don, I see alot of upclose pictures, but is there anything left of your shell at this point?

I mean WOW you dismantled it well my friend.... If that thing aint gonna end up being better than stock then I dont know anymore....

Oh and keep plowing forward. I guess when you start building forward you'll start to feel better.
Thanks 69, your right, not much left from the original shell. At this point the only thing original is the roof structure and rear package shelf.
Not sure about door jamb lock pillars and rear window support. Should be able to use the front rad support and trunk gutters.

mopar4don

Ger inspired me to update my resto.......
So next I took the 2x4 and clamped onto the donor a-pillar the exact same way. Except I moved it up on the a-pillar so that my donor section would be a little longer. (to allow for fitment, and error)

mopar4don

Then I used my sawzall and cut off the donor.

mopar4don

Put it back on to compare to the jig numbers and was pleased!

mopar4don

I am within a 1/16 (on the high side) I am good with that. Better to be over than under!