News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Don's 69 Charger Rust Belt restoration

Started by mopar4don, September 01, 2013, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

Notice the line representing were the bend needs to be

mopar4don

I put it in my vise aligning the marked line to the vise jaws.
I then hammered it over to create the 90 degree bend. (sorry no pictures)
Finally got it to were it looked pretty good!
Then welded it in!

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Stevearino

I know it seems like backing up but this is all good forward movement. The satisfaction of seeing  those new and reconditioned parts going back into place is just around the corner. :2thumbs:

mopar4don

Thanks fellas.
Stevo, I am so looking forward to putting new or fresh metal on!

six-tee-nine

Hey Don you're doing great. You dont see this as much progress forward maybe but all the small steps forward give you nice results after a year or so.
I'm testfitting my new trunk floor at this point and have more new sheet metal on the car at this point than ever since I have it and she looks better than she probably did in the last 20 years or so.
It's like pouring gas on my motivation flame....problem is my wife is whining more and more these days since I'm always in the shop....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

mopar4don

Quote from: six-tee-nine on April 29, 2014, 05:48:37 AM
Hey Don you're doing great. You dont see this as much progress forward maybe but all the small steps forward give you nice results after a year or so.
I'm testfitting my new trunk floor at this point and have more new sheet metal on the car at this point than ever since I have it and she looks better than she probably did in the last 20 years or so.
It's like pouring gas on my motivation flame....problem is my wife is whining more and more these days since I'm always in the shop....
Hi six-tee-nine,
I know your right! A lot of small steps over time adds up. And the members on this site help with the motivation.

I know what you mean about the wife. (It is a constant worry for me that I don't spend enough time with her)
And she is really great with me spending a lot of time in the garage. I try to keep everything in perspective.
God 1st
Wife 2nd
family and friends 3rd

Lately we have been having date nights.

cdr

Quote from: mopar4don on April 29, 2014, 08:10:31 AM
Quote from: six-tee-nine on April 29, 2014, 05:48:37 AM
Hi six-tee-nine,
I know your right! A lot of small steps over time adds up. And the members on this site help with the motivation.

I know what you mean about the wife. (It is a constant worry for me that I don't spend enough time with her)
And she is really great with me spending a lot of time in the garage. I try to keep everything in perspective.
God 1st
Wife 2nd
family and friends 3rd

Lately we have been having date nights.

YES SIR MR DON,there is no other way!!!
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

mopar4don

patch #2

mopar4don

Patch #3
This one was a little scary! I layed out where the bends were, then hammered the original flat.
Next I transferred and cutout a new patch (a little bigger to allow for fitment) layed out the bend lines, then put it in my vise and did some bending

mopar4don

Kinda hard to see were it transitions from high to low, but if you backup 3-5 pics you can see what I was trying to duplicate.

mopar4don

Patch #4
Similar process as patch #2

mopar4don

more

mopar4don

more

JB400

six-tee-nine

You have waaay better skills for shaping metal patch parts than I do.....and since I found some additional pin holes in my floor pans I need to get some practice

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

tsmithae

That's some nice work there, Don!   :cheers:
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

Homerr

Don, you are insane and I hope to emulate your work one day.   :2thumbs:

charge69

That's an amazing amount of metal patchwork going on here and you have far more skills than I have!  The only real patchwork/metal forming that went on with my Charger was the back-driver's side part of my roof! I had thought of actually buying an AMD roof panel but my friend, who is also an artist with any type of welder or patch work, made and blended in the roof and rail for the back glass himself!
Other than that, just replacing the rear quarters, trunk floor and accoutrements, outer 3 to 4 inches of the wheel wells, tail panel and end caps were basically it.  I salute you for all your hard work and creativity!

mopar4don

Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

Ghoste

Stevearino

Looks like you have a real eye for detail. Some folks would ask "Why match all the folds and bends on something that will not be seen?" Bottom line is that if you are going to do something like this properly you have to do everything as if it  WILL be seen. That discipline pays off and you will feel great knowing that you left no stone un turned. :popcrn: :popcrn:

six-tee-nine

It's not really a matter of anyone seeing it, its more a matter of knowing for yourself that you've done it right.

I'm cleaning my underside of my 69 with a wire wheel right now altough the floors and undercoating was 95% OK. Only to paint it and shoot new undercoating on it.
Sometimes I think to have better left it alone since no one ever sees that. But then again if I do it all over then I have piece of mind when saying I restored my car fot the full 100%

mopar4don

On to the drivers side.

1st, I marked and removed the quarter panel reinforcement bracket.

mopar4don

1st patch welded in.
The metal where the 90 bend was good so I did not have to replace this.
I let the metal extend out over the bend, then came back and welded underneath.
And pardon the crappy welds.... I am still learning!