News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Manual drums better than manual discs?

Started by bull, August 29, 2013, 12:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Budnicks

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on September 12, 2013, 02:02:37 PM
Yesterday I converted my '68 Coronet from manual front drum brakes to manual front disc brakes. This is without a doubt the best thing I've done to this car since I bought it seven months ago!

I spent considerable time attempting to get the original front drum brakes to stop straight and smoothly. New shoes, new wheel cylinders, I had the drums turned twice, even bought another set of drums and had them turned, adjusted and readjusted the shoes, and finally got them to operate and stop evenly at slower speeds, but no matter what I did I could not eliminate the drums from distorting once they got hot!
I have owned a '69 Super Bee with manual front drum brakes for 20 years so fade is something I've learned to deal with, but the shudder/vibration on the '68 made for a dangerous situation.
I bit the bullet, bought and installed the new Disc brakes and finally the '68 stops evenly and smoothly, even from high speeds.

No, manual drums are not better than manual discs!
exactly correct, disc's are much better brakes...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Cooter

We go through this on another site like the GL threads here.

Drum brakes, bias ply tires, no A/C, manual steering, no crumple zones, air bags, etc. All came about because people multiplied both sheer numbers and stupidity. Just watch that soccer mom in that big ole SUV in the lane next to you on your morning commute if you think all these out dated things have a place in todays traffic.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

TXcharger70

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on September 12, 2013, 02:02:37 PM
Yesterday I converted my '68 Coronet from manual front drum brakes to manual front disc brakes. This is without a doubt the best thing I've done to this car since I bought it seven months ago!

I spent considerable time attempting to get the original front drum brakes to stop straight and smoothly. New shoes, new wheel cylinders, I had the drums turned twice, even bought another set of drums and had them turned, adjusted and readjusted the shoes, and finally got them to operate and stop evenly at slower speeds, but no matter what I did I could not eliminate the drums from distorting once they got hot!
I have owned a '69 Super Bee with manual front drum brakes for 20 years so fade is something I've learned to deal with, but the shudder/vibration on the '68 made for a dangerous situation.
I bit the bullet, bought and installed the new Disc brakes and finally the '68 stops evenly and smoothly, even from high speeds.

No, manual drums are not better than manual discs!

I would have to I agree. I as well just did the same exact switch and just with one test drive under my belt it has been the best decision  I have made. I now have trust in the ability that I will stop instead anticipating before hand when to stop