News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Jay leno

Started by billssuperbird, August 19, 2013, 09:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billssuperbird

I can't fine the talk about jay Leno and what he runs in his cars to keep them running cool.  :brickwall:

Ram07

here is a bit from his interview...

Fortunately, I've discovered a number of products and technologies that solve many problems common to old cars and help make them much more reliable to drive. For example, overheating can be a big issue. Most old cars have nonpressurized cooling systems, and if the car runs too hot, the coolant boils and overflows. Today's pressurized systems might fail in a plume of steam, but they are more effective at heat transfer, and they keep the coolant from boiling. In older cars, when the coolant boils over, the quick fix is to top off the radiator with water. But each time you do that you're diluting the coolant, and in California, at least, you're pouring water into the radiator that contains minerals harmful to the vehicle. Many of my cars sit for a month or two between drives, so sometimes I'd find green corrosion all around the radiator pipes and drainage petcocks.

Now I use a terrific product called Evans Waterless Coolant. Since there's no water in it, it can't corrode anything. It's also good for the life of the car. I've had it in my replica 1937 Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic for 14 years, and the coolant is as clean as the day it went in. Even better, it doesn't boil up to 375 F, so your car won't overheat. And it's good to minus 40 F, so it also acts as an antifreeze. The only disadvantage? At $44 a gallon, it can cost several hundred dollars to fill a big radiator. But if you have a valuable antique car, this product is worth every penny.

Does that help... :shruggy:

flyinlow

Hate to disagree with Jay, but let me offer an other choice. Spend that money on a big aluminum radiator, shroud and fans.  Then install 50/50 Prestone /Water. In Ohio water is not harmful to the health of your engine. :lol:

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: flyinlow on August 19, 2013, 11:11:18 AM
Hate to disagree with Jay, but let me offer an other choice. Spend that money on a big aluminum radiator, shroud and fans.  Then install 50/50 Prestone /Water. In Ohio water is not harmful to the health of your engine. :lol:

well you talking about Jay here he tells all the guys who wash his car to wash it only with Evian water...supposabley he has Evian hooked up to his facet straigth from Evian.

bakerhillpins

Looks like the cost has come down a bit since the interview. Google shows roughly a 25% reduction in cost at $34 a gal.  Man, just hope you don't develop a leak.  :eek2:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

myk

I bet most of his cars don't see the light of day for years at a time...

John_Kunkel

Never ask a celebrity with sponsors what products they use.  ::)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

cudaken

Hate to disagree with Jay, but let me offer an other choice. Spend that money on a big aluminum radiator, shroud and fans.  

I had a bad over heating problem in my 69 Charger when I installed the 426, it would hit 200 degrees even in middle weather. Friend loaned me his fresh Big Block factory AC Radiator and temp went down to 180!

I then installed a aluminum cross flow radiator! :2thumbs: I never got over 160 degrees no matter how hot it was outside or if I was stuck in traffic! I did not ever have a shroud and was only running the small stock fan!

Cuda Ken
I am back

myk

Quote from: cudaken on August 19, 2013, 03:55:26 PM

Hate to disagree with Jay, but let me offer an other choice. Spend that money on a big aluminum radiator, shroud and fans.  

I had a bad over heating problem in my 69 Charger when I installed the 426, it would hit 200 degrees even in middle weather. Friend loaned me his fresh Big Block factory AC Radiator and temp went down to 180!

I then installed a aluminum cross flow radiator! :2thumbs: I never got over 160 degrees no matter how hot it was outside or if I was stuck in traffic! I did not ever have a shroud and was only running the small stock fan!

Cuda Ken

Specifically, what 'rad did you use?

cudaken

I bought off E Bay and that was 10 years ago so I have no clue. Here are the best pictures I have handy.

These pictures are with the Blown 440, not the 426.

Cuda Ken

I am back

JB400

Looks about like the radiator you can buy through Speedway for around $120.  Not for sure what the actual price is, but it was in that range.

myk

$120?  I figured a trick aluminum 'rad would end up costing a few hundred, at least.  Like that Be-cool stuff?