News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where do I hook up vacuum gauge to adjust carb mixture?

Started by WH23G3G, August 09, 2013, 08:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I want to adjust the mixture on my Valiant Slant Six 1bbl carb. It's got a remanufactured carb but needs adjustment. My problem is it doesn't have power brakes and there is no vacuum port on the intake. It's just capped off. The only vacuum hoses the engine has are the hose from the distributor vacuum advance to the carb and the pcv to the carb. If I took off and capped the distributor vacuum advance and uses that port on the carb to adjust would that work? Everyone's told me to adjust the mixture to acheive the most vacuum at idle.

Dino

Although manifold vacuum is best I would try to hook it up to the carb port.  On mine the reading is the same anyway.  Turn the screw to get the highest vacuum reading but then back it off a bit.  With the highest reading, mine runs a bit too rich.  When I turn the screw back a bit it dropped vacuum from 16 to 15.5 but runs better without smelling like fuel.  When you're done hook up the vacuum advance and reset the idle if needed.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

heyoldguy

Why settle for less than best? If manifold vacuum is BEST, I think I would hook it to manifold vacuum.