News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

66-67 Hemi carb setup

Started by hemi-ed, July 30, 2013, 09:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi-ed

Can anyone please direct me on setting up the Carter carbs that have that large brass center air adjustment screw?  Can't seem to find anything on the web.  What is the deal with adjusting the idle screws and that center air screw and balancing both carbs?

Scaregrabber

It's the last thing you set on a tuneup. Make sure all the other adjustments are correct then with a warm engine:
Adjust the mixture screws for highest vacuum (I like to make sure they are 1-2 turns out and are both equal). Then set the big screw for idle speed (start with them 2 turns out and again I like them to be the same amount of turns front and back).

Sheldon

hemi-ed

Quote from: Scaregrabber on July 30, 2013, 12:13:52 PM
It's the last thing you set on a tuneup. Make sure all the other adjustments are correct then with a warm engine:
Adjust the mixture screws for highest vacuum (I like to make sure they are 1-2 turns out and are both equal). Then set the big screw for idle speed (start with them 2 turns out and again I like them to be the same amount of turns front and back).

Sheldon

Thanks, Sheldon. 

Scaregrabber

You're welcome. If the car ran good twenty years ago and you're having trouble getting it to run correctly now, it may have to be jetted up a bit for today's fuels. I've run Hemi's since 1980 and I find I have to jet them about 3-5 steps up from what I did back then with the fuel we use around here. Good luck getting it straightened out but I know you'll get it.

Sheldon