News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

odd situation.

Started by lloyd3, July 28, 2013, 11:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

Roughly 5-years ago, I bought a A-833 18-spline "hemi" four speed to install in my R/T 4-speed car to replace a 23-spline unit that had found it's way into the car over the last 40-years or so.  The transmission was sold as being "rebuilt" by a very well-known Mopar parts supplier.  The restoration was finally completed almost 60-days ago now.  Because of ill-health and age on the part of the restorer, the unit was put in and not tested until I drove it home. As best as I can tell, there are no functioning synchronisers left in either 2nd  or 3rd gear. There are lots of other problems with the restoration, but at least the guy wasn't a crook and I have a complete car to work with.  This week, I'm going to have it pulled and rebuilt by yet another individual so I can finally either drive it or sell it  

My question is this:  I still have all the receipts for this tranny.  Is there any point in contacting this well-known parts supplier to tell him about my problems with his "rebuilt" transmission?

charge69

I would definitely tell them about your problems but, just my pessimistic self speaking, I would not expect any warranty on their work. I would also "out" the parts supplier of the, supposedly, rebuilt transmission. YMMV

A383Wing

I doubt you will get any "satisfaction" from the guy that supposedly rebuilt the trans....

lloyd3

I'm pessimistic as well, but I figure that I should at-least give him a chance to do the right thing before I "out" him.  I'd normally just walk away from it, but I'm already way out-of-pocket on this car, and this just adds insult to injury.

If he'd even work with me a little bit, I'd feel better about it.  I paid a premium to get a unit from a known and respected source. He might not have even done the rebuild, but he sold it with his name on it.

Ghoste

Yes by all means give him a chance first.

Nacho-RT74

you already have the NO answer guaranteed, so asking won't hurt anything beside maybe get a YES
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

lloyd3

Transmission shop owner went for a drive in it today. He says that 3rd might be an adjustment but 2nd synchros are definitely gone.  He says that it could just be bad parts, so I'll wait for him to open it up before pointing any fingers.

elacruze

What are the symptoms? I rebuilt my own, and used Synthetic gear oil in it-I hated it. There was no grinding, but it took forever to shift between gears. If you're not grinding then the synchros are probably ok and attempting to do what they should, but can't (synthetic oil keeps them from gripping their cones) If the synchros are worn out, then they won't do anything until you force through them and you'll grind the gear collars.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

lloyd3

Symptoms are hard upshift on 2nd (very loud clunk) and a very uncertain gate feel (grinding sometimes) going into 3rd. On downshift, 3rd doesn't want to release about half the time, and there is no going into 2nd at all (without spooling up the synchro on 1st before it will downshift into 2nd).  This tranny is also noticeably noisy, almost as loud as the Dana 60 whining away behind it.  Also, no backup lights with this unit (neither the dash indicator or out behind the car), even with everything plugged in.  They worked very nicely with the earlier unit.

bull

If it were me I'd tell him about it. Not that this applies to you perfectly but it's tough to try to get someone to make things right when they screw up. On one hand you want your stuff fixed in trade for the money you laid out but on the other you don't really want a goof working on your car. If at all possible I would probably try to get the cost of labor back from him and then take it somewhere else to get fixed.

lloyd3

I had a fairly involved reply for you Bull, but when I went to post it the webpage timed out and it was erased.  Very frustrating.  The guy scheduled to work on it now has something like 30-years of experience working on gearboxes and he comes highly reccommended. After he gets it open I'll have some facts to work with. Right now it's pure speculation on my part as to what the problem is.  Before I hammer someone's reputation, I want to be sure I know what I'm talking about.

elacruze

Did you center the trans and bellhousing on the crankshaft centerline? It's possible that you're so far out of alignment that you're stressing the input shaft bearing, loading the input shaft gears, and have a misaligned clutch disc.

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

lloyd3

I just had another reply hang up and get erased. What causes this? Crappy server?

lloyd3

After lots of delays, my car has finally had it's tranny rebuilt again and here's what I was told.  It appeared that someone had been in it, but they had done a less than competent job.  The shifter forks were bent and largely spent and the gear sets were looking tough.  So..... what to do?  Go after the vendor for selling me a POS or just suck it up?

Patronus

Ask him. I would feel comfortable if he paid parts, you pay his labor.. :shruggy:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

bakerhillpins

I would at least make a call and see what the reaction is. I'm not defending anyone here but maybe the guy had someone else pack up the unit and they misunderstood and wrapped up one that wasn't rebuilt yet??  :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

lloyd3

Finally got my car back today.  Tranny shop guy has had it for 3-weeks. After pulling and putting it back twice, he's finally got it nailed.  God, it's nice to be able to shift smoothly!  The net net of is that it had been rebuilt, but poorly.  I'm out $900 bucks and 3-weeks.  Did get to pick my son up from school in it (he's been waiting for today for over 5-years now).  Car-line at a Catholic school in 90-degree weather! Darn hot, but worth it. We went and got milkshakes.

myk

Sounds like a perfect ending to me...