News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Multi weight oil in transfer case? I thought it was a no-no.

Started by 440, July 28, 2013, 04:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not really a mopar question but I thought multi weight engine oil in transfer cases was a big no-no. The NP203 transfer case is chain driven unlike the NP205 meaning it doesnt need a hypoid type gear oil. Ford recommends SAE 50wt but upon contacting Royal Purple they say to run HPS 10-40wt, which isn't cheap.

I've run Royal Purple engine oil for years and finally want to switch all of the other fluids over.

Brutalowner

For quite some time, it has been unofficially known that the best way to keep a NP203 oiling happily, is to use 10w30, or the like. The 203 mode box has a plastic gear oil pump and an oil tunnel from the output shaft, thru the main-shaft to oil the three layers of stacked needle bearings. The range box is however gear to gear, only when in low range.
If you live in a cold climate, the thinner oil travels forward to the bearings quicker, helping decrease wear.

My .02
69 Charger
68 Coronet R/T 440/727
57 300C 392 H word
76 W250 Crew 5.9Magnum 5spd
76 RC 440 4spd