News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rusty Wallace Race Experience

Started by 1970Moparmann, July 27, 2013, 11:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

A few members asked me to post more detail about this race experience, so here it is.

For the first time a few friends and I went to a Nascar driving event. IT WAS AWESOME!

First we had a 45 minute classroom talk in which the instructor put the fear of god into us.  Basically went into what, when, where on how to drive.  After this, my friends and I went for a ride a lone with a "Pro".  He was booking!  Could even feel the g's into the corners.  I recommend doing this if you never have done a driving session.  It gives you a great idea on how you can push the car.

After the ride-a-long, we jumped into a car.   Here was mine-

A friend of mine and I chose to do the 12 laps, my other friend did a 8 lap.   It took about 3 laps to get used to the car, and to see how the car performs.  I purchased the video of me driving and figured out that I averaged about 118 per lap - NOT BAD!  I would estimate the straightaway I was going about 135/140.  

Caution - many people back out of driving a car after the ride-a-long.  My friend who did the 8 laps, was not comfortable doing this either.  I wound up lapping him 4 times.    

Video of me passing my friend in the Dewalt car.  I had to hit the brakes because of all the traffic.  Then got the hit the gas and pass.

The Rusty Wallace experience is apparently the non "smoke and mirrors" one to do.  The Richard Petty one and also the Mario Andretti ones claim your going a good amount, but your not.   I also heard that your not on a "happy hour" track.  With the Rusty one, the track is hot all the time.  There are 8 cars with single drivers and then 4 Ride-a-long cars on the track at any given time.  

The other aspect is many people drive sssslllloooowwwww.   This is where if your not a dare devil in nature, you might not like this.  The worst part is watching out for the slow drivers.  Each driver has a spotter that talks to you on a one way radio, and will guide you during your session.  BUT, one time he didn't give me the heads up on what was happening with 2 slow drivers, so I had to hit the brakes hard!  I wasn't going to pass them without getting the all clear from my spotter.  There could have been a professional driver in the pass lane.  

Overall, it was the most thrilling car experience of my life.  We are planning on doing this once a year at different tracks around the country.  Next one will be Detroit or North Carolina.  

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Other pictures-

Video -

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

adauto

I did a drive alone @ LVMS... fun fun fun. My ave speed was 124. Found I really needed to concentrate, the corners came up real quick!   :drive:   :punkrocka:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

JB400