News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pre Oiling, how long does it take to get oil to the heads?

Started by cudaken, July 27, 2013, 04:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

I tried to find my original post and missed it so I started a new one. Sorry.

Today I started per oiling the 383 that has sat for 8 years. I was pleased with the fact the drill bogged down with in 5 seconds and saw oil and bubbles flowing there after. I could see oil coming up from around the lifters and lifter valley filled quickly!  :2thumbs:

I only had the driver side valve cover off, and did not see any oil flowing. Again I know that the crank may need to be turn for that side to have oil flowing, so again no worries.

I ran the drill around 5 minutes, maybe 10 at the most. Should that be sufficient to start turning the crank on a motor that has sat for 8 years?

After I check the right side to see if any oil had flowed then I am going to have at it again. I think I have to turn around a 1/4 to get the rocker arm oil holes to line up?  :shruggy: Or does the oil come up the push rods?

Either way, how long should it take? And how important it getting oil to the rockers? I can dump oil on them!

Cuda Ken     
I am back

heyoldguy

You can start turning the crank even before you get oil pressure and I wouldn't wait any longer than when I got oil pressure. The oil comes from the block, through the heads to the rocker shafts, and then to the rocker arms.

Tilar

What I've done in the past is run it till the oil pressure gauge starts to come up. Then you're good to go.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

John_Kunkel

The oil  gets to the heads through the cam bearings...so the cam has to be in a certain position before oil will flow to the heads. Two slow revolutions of the crank while the primer is running will get oil to the heads.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

cudaken

Got oil up in the heads today! As soon as the engines / cam bearings where in the right position the oil was there like that! And it did look nasty!  :shruggy: (yes the oil has been changed) Must be the gunk left in the galley.

Thanks for all the answers, Cuda Ken

I am back