News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 headlight relay

Started by polywideblock, July 17, 2013, 04:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polywideblock

hi where do I find the hidden headlight relay/ circuit breaker  on a 71 charger ? is it under the dash? thought it was in the engine bay.  I've got headlights but no door movement ,don't hear a click or anything when headlights turned on.   thanks Phil 

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

71green go

Hey there...the relay is located under the lip of the dash approx. where the ashtray is located...they are attached to the dash frame, by an attached mounting bracket

71 SE3834V

:iagree:
I'll add that it's more on the passenger side of the ash tray. Found mine by accident. "Hey, what's these 2 things". Pulled them down and wrote down the part #'s. One was the relay, the other was the headlight delay thingie. That's a technical word right there.  ;D

Oh, and I might add.....my doors didn't work since I had bought the car. Former owner said they didn't work for him either. Last winter I was looking around under the hood moving wires and vac lines around trying to learn what went where in anticipation of buying new wire harnesses. I had unplugged the bulkhead plugs and what I now know were the concealed wire harness and plugged them back in. Some days later I turned on the headlights for some reason (it wasn't dark) and the doors opened! Figured maybe a connection might have gotten cleaned up in the process. They've worked ever since and I did eventually replace the engine & front light harness.
Food for thought.

You also might want to make sure the motor works. Run a wire from the positive battery post to one or the other terminals of the "double" plug. One opens it, the other closes it. Make sure you don't touch the wire to ground. It'll fry! Make sure the single terminal goes to a good ground.
I was planing on just running a set of wires with a 3 way switch to the motor to make it work before I "fixed it".
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V