News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 GTX restomod on the way to TX

Started by bzabodyn, July 11, 2013, 09:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzabodyn

So, after looking up and down for the perfect b-body project car to do a semi-pro touring build, I actually end up making a hell of a deal to purchase the 68 GTX from XV Motorsports that they used to prototype/test their level 1 suspension, frame bracing, level 1 brakes, 5.7l hemi carb conversion, etc. additionally, before they send it to me we are doing a Vintage Air kit, 3pt retractable seat belts, billet pedals, billet door locks, and a few other small things. It has a TKO 5spd but eventually I'll do an 6sp auto swap (this is gonna be the wifey's) - redo the interior with Corbeau/Recaro front buckets, custom console, matching rear seat, refaced gauges, etc - redo stripes, add HEMI badging, swap wheels to 18" billet magnum 500s. Overall, I am very happy and I spent much less than if I would have done everything from the beginning myself. Only other thing I'd ever do is possibly stroke the 5.7 to a 392 with ported/polished heads and a mod-man intake with 3x2 carbs. Pics to come when it hits in a couple weeks!

BZ
1969 Dodge Charger R/T - 426 HEMI/4 speed/Track Pack

Ghoste

Wow, that leaves you with a pair of pretty amazing cars.

charge69

Awesome looking GTX, Brandon! It should be lots of fun to drive. "The wife's car!" That, right there, is funny!  I am sure YOU will get lots of time behind the wheel, also!  Congrats!

bzabodyn

Yep - as long as its a manual tranny, it's all mine  :cheers:

She really likes the blue on white color scheme and is excited about it.

BZ

Back N Black

WHITE AND RED 69

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

oldcarnut

Hope it all works out great for you :cheers:.   What does it mean in the add it "sounds like a new BMW" when talking about the exhaust?

bzabodyn

I'm pretty sure a nice cam and headers sounds nothing like any BMW. It does have some toned down mufflers so it says its pretty quiet while cruising.

I'll get a good sound clip when I get it home.

BZ

bull

I've often wondered how the newer engines perform compared to the older ones of similar size. All other things being equal, how would a 5.7 do against a '68 4bbl 340 in a drag race? I know it's hard to compare but still...

bzabodyn

This one puts down around 440hp and weighs probably a couple hundred pounds less. It all depends on the build and the car it's in. I think the 5.7 platform has a greater power potential with a stock bottom end.

BZ

JB400

Congrats on the purchase. :2thumbs:  What trans are you going with exactly?  What stripe package are you thinking of going with?

cudaken

swap wheels to 18" billet magnum 500s

Now we are talking! Thank goodness you have taste!

Cuda Ken
I am back

69charger2002

i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

bzabodyn

Not sure on which auto tranny I'm going with yet. Probably depends on how crazy I get with the engine build.

I'm probably going to swap to black stripes to complement the Magnum 500's. interior will eventually be all black/grey as well.

BZ

daveco

Quote from: bzabodyn on July 11, 2013, 12:53:49 PM

She really likes the blue on white color scheme and is excited about it.

BZ

...I'm probably going to swap to black stripes to complement the Magnum 500's. interior will eventually be all black/grey as well.

:scratchchin:

R/Tree

remta1

myk

Wow, I've always dreamed of dealing with XV-congrats!
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

bzabodyn

Thanks!

The way it looks now helped me buy it but that doesn't mean it's going to stay that way.

Eventually it'll be Grigio Estoque (Lamborghini dark grey) with silver painted striped with red outline, red brake calipers (already has), red hood insert pinstriping, billet magnum 500s as mentioned, Challenger front seats w/ matching rears, white gauges/SS dash and door panel inserts, custom audio/NAV, etc.

BZ