News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

carb choice

Started by charger01, July 10, 2013, 09:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger01

I currently have a mild built 440 hp motor in my 69 with a 750 edelbrock carb.  May be a silly question but would a bigger carb, or different brand give me more hp?

Dino

You may get a few more hp with a different carb, but there's better ways to get hp.  Are you running the 1407 performer?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

charger01

Yeah, thats the one.  Didnt know if anyone had any better carb suggestions.

Dino

Quote from: charger01 on July 11, 2013, 10:53:25 AM
Yeah, thats the one.  Didnt know if anyone had any better carb suggestions.

I removed mine, could not get it to run the way I wanted it so I gave up on it.  I'm running a thermoquad now which is a huge improvement.  Depending on your application, you may want to look at a Holley or Proform. 

How do you use your car and how often?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

charger01

The edelbrock runs fine, except the fuel percolating on hot days, which is very annoying.  I just didnt know if other carbs had a dramatic performance gain or not?  I only drive the car a few hundred miles a year, so keeping the eddy makes sense.  Just thinking out loud I guess.

mikeydf14

I had the same issue with my 68 383 having the fuel boil off and the Edelbrock not performing like it should.  Since I had my car returned from the resto shop a few months ago I canned my Edelbrock.  Based on  their experiences they suggested I go buy a Quick Fuel Technology 750 dual pumper and it made a big difference.  Seems the basic Edelbrock is OK for a bare stock engine but if you have anything more they just don't do right.  You may also want to block off the intake crossover to keep the left side exhaust from going under the carb base to get to the right side of the intake where the old bimetallic choke hooked up to the original carb.  Also, check out the heat shielded carb base plates circulating out there and use some ethanol treatment in your fuel.   :2thumbs: