News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Broken crankshaft

Started by ws23rt, July 04, 2013, 04:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ws23rt

I bought this crank years ago and the engine builder I use found a crack in the radius of the first throw.
My question is can these sometimes be repaired? Or do I have a fine piece of scrap metal.
I know that journals can be welded up and turned back to size.
It is an 8bolt Velasco crank.
The crack shows in the second pic.

cdr

for the cost i would buy a new crank  :Twocents:

440 source
k1
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

fy469rtse

junk , boat anchor, , good after market cranks cheaper , what if the guy who welds it up doesn't do the job properly, think of everything else that get destroyed when that lets go

cdr

speaking of boat anchor,that looks like a reverse turn boat crank!!!
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

ws23rt

Quote from: cdr on July 04, 2013, 11:44:21 PM
speaking of boat anchor,that looks like a reverse turn boat crank!!!

Wow it never crossed my mind that it might be a reverse turn crank. Gees LH may mean something important.
Thanks for that thought. So all it needs is a hook to be a real boat anchor. :2thumbs:
A reverse turn boat anchor for those that throw it off the left side?
OOps sorry port side.

cdr

looking at the oil hole chamfer  ,it is going the wrong direction for an automotive crank  :Twocents:

ws23rt

Quote from: cdr on July 05, 2013, 12:07:47 AM
looking at the oil hole chamfer  ,it is going the wrong direction for an automotive crank  :Twocents:

Thanks I would have never thought of that. But now I will never forget it :cheers:

Cooter

Yep, used speed parts can be a gamble at best. To be hurt that bad, that crank has seen some insane power levels. I wouldn't trust it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Challenger340

Yep, that there is a used up Blown Nitro Crank.
IMO,
That particular one looks to be cracked pretty bad and best junked, especially since nowadays a Chinese 4340 can be had very cheaply.
Only wimps wear Bowties !