News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger SE Water Valve on Firewall - can these things be repaired???

Started by Mfr426, February 25, 2006, 03:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Not sure if this falls under the engine area so feel free to move the thread if not.

I have a 69 w/ A/C. Years ago I got an NOS water valve assembly and installed it with no problems. This is the unit the has (3) odd fluted screws that hold it on the firewall and the heater hoses run to it in series with the heater core lines (non-AC cars only have the heater core). Anyway, I got the car out today and noticed a drip underneath of the car. I thought it was a freeze plug and almost threw myself into the fan. Anyway, turns out that the water valve is leaking. It's right at the base of the unit on the engine side (fortunately).

First, is it possible that if the temp cable is not adjusted correctly on the back side that it could make this unit leak (I highly doubt it but thought I'd ask). And second, can this unit be soldered or brazed at the base where it appears to be dripping? This is where the two tubes that have been molded into one go into the plate that screws into the firewall.

Any thoughts would be great. I have a notion to bypass it all together and just move on at this point.

Thanks!

Mike R in Reading PA

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mfr426

Chris, leave it to Napa to have something like this. Did you rebuild yours? I know your car is an AC car and has one.

What comes in the kit other than that rubber searl?

Thanks Chris, I'll call my Napa guys tomorrow to get a lead time on this thing.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Nah I bought an NOS one a while back.  I think the kit is just the seal.  I just ordered one online to have as a spare in case they dont make 'em anymore.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

deputycrawford

I bought my kit from a place in Arizona. Another place in Georgia sells the entire valve restored too. I will have to look to see if I can find the receipt but I did find out about the two places from performancecargraphics.com. He rebuilt me dash that gets lots of OOHS and AHHHS. He would point you in the right direction.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Mfr426

I just ordered that seal from NAPA "just to have". I'm still going to try to find the part new.

Thanks all!