News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

******Important info for 1996-2001 Ram Truck owners******

Started by firefighter3931, February 24, 2006, 09:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

I recently purchased a used truck (96 Ram Sport) and found some interesting information on another forum. Apparently there is a gov't mandated extended warranty for Catalytic converters on 96-01 Ram trucks and other dodge vehicles. Daimler has been directed to replace all defective cats at no cost to the customer.  :icon_smile_big:

So, i called the number and gave them the vin and sure enough mine fell into the "fix it" category. The cat is rattleing at idle so i know it's bad and the dealer confirmed this and has one on order for me. There were 2 outstanding recalls that were also corrected when i brought the truck in.

The first is a faulty ignition switch wiring harness that is prone to overheating and subsequent fire hazard  :o Apparently the blower motor and ignition switch are wired to the same circuit. The replacement harness has a relay in it to correct the problem.  :thumbs:

The second recall is for a secondary hood latch mechanism. I'd say that's pretty important, last thing you need is the hood flying open at 70mph on the freeway !

Anyway, this is just a heads up for you Ram truck owners. If your trucks haven't been fixed with these updates and your cat is rattlein it's time to make the call....

Ron

here's the link to dogeforum where i found the thread :

http://www.dodgeforum.com/m_352822/tm.htm

Ps. here's a couple of pics of the new truck  :icon_smile_cool:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

moparjohn

I have a 98 Ram and replaced my cat. about 5 months ago- the part alone was $450.  I hope this means I get re-imburesed!!! Yes I have a receipt.
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

firefighter3931

Quote from: moparjohn on February 24, 2006, 09:33:23 PM
I have a 98 Ram and replaced my cat. about 5 months ago- the part alone was $450.  I hope this means I get re-imburesed!!! Yes I have a receipt.

John, they're supposed to be compensating folks who've completed the repairs. One of the guys in that thread i linked was reimbursed for his cat.  ;) There are a number of ongoing threads on this subject in that 2nd gen Ram forum....have a look.  :scope:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

694spdRT

My '01 V10 had dual cats and both were shot in less than 20,000 miles. I got the 1st one in under warranty but, traded it shortly after the 2nd started rattling. I also had a defective airbag mechanism replaced in the steering column that was a recall item.

There is an automatic tranny cooling line recall issue on some of the years also.

1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

firefighter3931

Quote from: moparjohn on February 24, 2006, 09:33:23 PM

John, check out this press release from the EPA. Look at the bottom of the page for details on reimbursement. It clearly states that owners are to be compensated.

"Chrysler will also establish procedures to reimburse owners of vehicles covered by the settlement's extended warranty or recall provisions who, before receiving Chrysler's notice of the remedial measures announced today, paid out of their own pockets for the repair or replacement of a defective original equipment catalytic converter."

Ron

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/0/1751045d2387854f852570de006ea56a?OpenDocument

Todd Wilson

Read the fine print in your owners manual. Theres an 8 yr emissions warranty they dont tell you about. It covers the CAT and the computer and a few other things. Its beyond the 3/36 or 5/100 warranty. Its its own thing.

Todd

Todd

Charger Aficionado

Dude thanks, I was just telling my bud to go see if there were any recalls...  Funny you brought this up...  :) 

,Jude

hemi68charger

That's great !!!  I'll call tomorrow morning because my cat rattles like crazy at idle... I've pretty much have gotten used to it..  I have a '98 Ram SS/T of which I'm the original owner...

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

472 R/T SE

Amazing what you can find on the model specific forums.  I'm over at Dodge Truck World.  There's lot's of TSB's that we, the owner's don't know about without the good ol' 'net.

moparjohn

Yeah, now if I could find out a way for them to fix my rusted out doors!

resq302

John,

When I had my 97 Ram, it started to do the rusting thing on the bottom part of the doors right at where the skin folded over on the bottom.  I brought it back to the dealership with about 40,000 miles and screamed at them till they fixed it.  Actually, they warrantied it and sent me to a body shop where they replaced both doors.  The key is to keep that area clean by wiping it down occasionally.  Salt and dirt likes to get into that area and just rust it out from within.  Just curious... how many miles are on your truck?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: moparjohn on February 26, 2006, 05:46:11 PM
Isn't there a 100K rust through guarantee on all vehicles now?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

dart3404

The bottom of the doors are starting to rust on my 2001 Ram.  :flame:

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on February 26, 2006, 08:07:41 PM
Quote from: moparjohn on February 26, 2006, 05:46:11 PM
    Isn't there a 100K rust through guarantee on all vehicles now?

Its perforated rust and not surface rust. 

I am surprised at some of the Rams rusting. My 95 I bought new still looks new. You guys must have some heavy duty winters.

Todd

resq302

Thats what happens when you live in the salt belt.  AKA, New Jersey.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

1970440RT

I'm with Todd.  I have a 97 and no rust problems whatsoever.  Live in western PA too.  I actually have bare metal showing on my lower passenger rear of the cab for about 4 years now and hasn't rusted through.  I'm actually using it as a test to see just how far domestic car sheetmetal has come since the 70's.  Seems to vary from Mfr. to Mfr because I also have a 96 olds that has been a grandma car the first 3/4 of its life and is rusting from the inside out, pretty badly too.  This car also has the infamous 3.1 liter v-6.  What a piece 'o sheit.

hemi68charger

I called, no recall.. It's depended on the particular truck....... 

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Todd Wilson

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 27, 2006, 10:06:21 AM

Troy

If your truck is still under the 8yr 80000 mile limit  your CAT is covered under the emission warranty! This is above and beyond any other warranty you have.

Todd

Spike

Now if they could just warranty and replace the two piece (pos) intakes,  with the MP one piece intake I would be happy.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Todd Wilson on February 27, 2006, 12:30:34 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on February 27, 2006, 10:06:21 AM

Troy

If your truck is still under the 8yr 80000 mile limit  your CAT is covered under the emission warranty! This is above and beyond any other warranty you have.

Todd

hahaha... I'm WAY over that limit now........... 126,000 on my SS/T......
Troy

Dave22443

I've got 91,000 on my '98 Ram Sport 4x4.  No cat problems that I've noticed, but I too am starting to develope rust in the lower front corner of the passenger door. I didn't feel so bad the other day though when I was passed by a new model Ram that was so badly rusted that his factory installed "nerf bars" had become two-piece wind flappers!  (He had a license plate from the north east on it)

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

moparjohn

Yes it's surface rust but only time will make it a hole. I got the first bubbles last year and the truck had 102,000 miles.  Now the pass side is rusted to the lower body line and the drivers is a little less. I went to the dealer and E-mail DCX, same thing out of warranty blah blah blah.
I don't have the 2 grand plus to even patch it, little alone repalce  both doors. I wish they would at least meet 1/2 way, maybe get me the doors and I'll pay for the switching and painting.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: moparjohn on February 28, 2006, 07:33:36 PM
Yes it's surface rust but only time will make it a hole. I got the first bubbles last year and the truck had 102,000 miles.  Now the pass side is rusted to the lower body line and the drivers is a little less. I went to the dealer and E-mail DCX, same thing out of warranty blah blah blah.
I don't have the 2 grand plus to even patch it, little alone repalce  both doors. I wish they would at least meet 1/2 way, maybe get me the doors and I'll pay for the switching and painting.

What year is the truck?

Todd

The Mad Scientist

Don't forget the evap emissions canister recall. 

The clockspring recall is recall  #982 if I remember right.  I think I did a thousand of them. 

And Mopar Perf. does (or at least did) make a one piece intake for the fuel injected 5.2/5.9 magnum.  As I recall it was a bit of a high rise single plane intake and it accepted the stock throttle body. 

moparjohn

Todd it's a 98. I do love this truck but I think they should do something.The paint, powertrain and interior are mnt. Just have the rust. I guess it could be worse. ( the rear was re-built 2 times though)